Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 335 in snow?

My Cars
    See Signature

335 in snow?

HI

It usually snows about 4 times where it matters here in St. Louis.

Will the 335 go in snow with stock tires? I understand there will be less traction. What I'm asking is whether the car will move through snow.

I put snow tires on my M3 during winter, and had little trouble until one time it was 3 inches deep and the car barely got up a hill.

I've decided to call a cab insted of mess with snow tires.

Thanks
    Johno
    -- 2003 e46 M3
    -- 2018 e90 M5
    -- Warm memories of 99 M3 w/ Eurosport Twin Screw, 2007 335i, 1970 Cutlass, 1989 328is, 1990 328i, 2012 S4, 2018 S4

My Cars
    08 335i
    I had an awful time with it in the snow here in Philly.

The high torque really kills the traction, but like all RWD, starting in 2nd or even 3rd might help a lot, throw some dumbells in the trunk, etc.

But I had a really hard time with it, with only a dusting on the roads. This could just be the way I drive. This is why I got a jeep so I would never be stuck.
    Last edited by TwinTurboBMW; 12-01-2010 at 01:19 PM.
    2008 e92 Space Gray 335i 6 spd: Sport, Premium, Heated Seats.
    1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4.0l 5 spd.

The past is in the past:
    2004 Mazda Rx8- Sport 6 spd.
    2003 Honda Civic Ex auto.
    1995 Pontiac Sunfire auto.

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    If you have the sports package, it comes with summer tires, and those are pretty useless in the snow. The all seasons may fair a bit better, but I would suggest you do not venture out in the snow with the summers on, believe me, it can make for a nerve wrecking experience. Forget about making it up a hill, you may not make it out your driveway with those.
    Put snow tires on, or just don't drive when there is snow on the ground. With proper snow tires, your car will attack any hill like a champ, you just need to apply throttle judiciously and maybe enable DTC to keep your momentum going uphill. The trickiest part with RWD is starting from a standstill on a snow covered hill, but once you get going it is not a big deal.
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    '09 E92 335
    Do you have the stock summer performance tires, or the stock all season tires?

With the performance tires, it might be a good idea to stay home wen it snows. If you have the all season tires you should be OK, just take it easy. But with the amount of snow that you get, it doesn't really make sense investing in a set of snow tires.

My Cars
    '11 335i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by NFerber View Post
    But with the amount of snow that you get, it doesn't really make sense investing in a set of snow tires.
    I'd agree if the stock tires are all-season - that would be adequate (not great) so perhaps a fine compromise. But I disagree if they're summers. Once it gets down to 35 degrees or so summer tires perform really horribly, even if the pavement is dry. If you get a bit of ice or freezing rain (and they do get quite a bit in St. Loiuis) summer tires are a fender-bender waiting to happen. I'd suggest a good set of winter tires on dedicated rims so you can change them yourself.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 335i
    Do what they do in Germany. Get a set of dedicated winter tires on steel wheels or cheap after market alloys. All 4 wheels and you'll do just fine in the snow. Did this with my Porsches and BMWs over the years here and in Germany.

My Cars
    See Signature
    Thanks.

I have stock all seasons. They are low enough in tread (1/2) that I am not at all optimistic about this winter.

I have driven RWD cars all my life in snow country -- Milwaukee and central Illinois. 75 Maverick, 72 Chevelle, 70 Olds, 88 Mustang. All of them worked in snow if it wasn't too deep. They would barely go sometimes but they would go.

Given how much it snows here I will either stay home or call a cab. Four snow falls -- $40 max per cab ride -- $160 and zero hassle. Which works unless I am out of town and it snows.

Maybe I should buy an old Subaru for rainy or snowy days.
    Johno
    -- 2003 e46 M3
    -- 2018 e90 M5
    -- Warm memories of 99 M3 w/ Eurosport Twin Screw, 2007 335i, 1970 Cutlass, 1989 328is, 1990 328i, 2012 S4, 2018 S4

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Quote Originally Posted by Johno View Post
    Given how much it snows here I will either stay home or call a cab. Four snow falls -- $40 max per cab ride -- $160 and zero hassle. Which works unless I am out of town and it snows.

Maybe I should buy an old Subaru for rainy or snowy days.
    Good plan. The only complication here (and I learned this the hard way) is when the weather forecast calls for mild weather in the morning and then mid day when you are at work, the weather changes and you get snowed in. Leaving your car at work may or may not be an option. Just keep it in mind.
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    2011 E90 335i
    I have a winter set of wheels and snow tires and so far they have been good. On ice they still slip like any tire without studs, but on snow that are great.
    - Chris

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmosBlack98M View Post
    I have a winter set of wheels and snow tires and so far they have been good. On ice they still slip like any tire without studs, but on snow that are great.
    Yes, snow tires will skid on ice for sure, but eventually they stop. Summer tires, well, I am not sure if you would come to a stop without hitting something 1st. All seasons, will be somewhere in between, but much closer to the summers than the snows on ice.
    We get our fair share of freezing rain and black ice here every year, and I've been able to stay on the road when even buses were climbing over the curb. You just need to drive according to the conditions and judge your increased stopping distances. I usually try to check my limits of adhesion and my stopping distance on a deserted section of the road before I get to the busier sections.
    (more pictures here)

My Cars
    2007 335i Sedan 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by mryakan View Post
    Good plan. The only complication here (and I learned this the hard way) is when the weather forecast calls for mild weather in the morning and then mid day when you are at work, the weather changes and you get snowed in. Leaving your car at work may or may not be an option. Just keep it in mind.
    I learned this one the hard way as well. I was being as cautious as possible and even with that my car didn't not decide to initiate the turn I told it to and it kept going straight into a ditch. Luckily no harm done but certainly a nerve wrecking experience. My 335i with sport tires was miserable in the snow so if there's any hint at snow in the forecast I drive my beater jeep Cherokee that doesn't even have heat (which is just perfect for those cold snowy days I don't want to drive the BMW)

My Cars
    08 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by Boilers08 View Post
    ...I drive my beater jeep Cherokee that doesn't even have heat (which is just perfect for those cold snowy days I don't want to drive the BMW)
    I'm right along with you with my '91 Wrangler.

The past is in the past:

My Cars
    '99 528i Sport 5 speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinTurboBMW View Post
    I'm right along with you with my '91 Wrangler.
    I agree. I picked up an 01 Grand cherokee limited for a thousand bucks over the summer as winter beater. I never thought i would like a Jeep but after i got this thing running i love it. 4WD and all options i recommend it.

With the sport package on both my BMWs, I drop the collision insurance on them and leave them in the garage for the winter. I got stuck in my driveway with my 99 5series on an inch of snow and my driveway is near level... So if you dont get good snow tires, I would think twice about going out if snow is forecasted. Plus the fact of other drivers running into me because of poor driving manners in snow, I dont worry so much in the Jeep cuz i dont care about it.

My Cars
    2011 335i xDrive
    A set of basic rims the rial (forgot name) rims and a set of Pirelli Sottozero's or Blizzaks RFT etc are about $1,200-$1,400 and are a cheaper solution than buying some beat-up crap to drive in the winter or cab rides or some other genious idea.

It's a BMW. It will handle perfectly fine in the snow with a set of Winter tires. If you have xDrive, Bonus!

These cars are designed in München. Bavaria has lots of snow, hills, mountains, whinding roads etc (far more dangerous then Boston, Maryland or Toronto). The engineers push these cars while testing in the arctic.

Obvioulsy anyone in a RWD M3 with summer peformance tires is going to slip, slide and get nowhere in the snow.

My Cars
    08 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by S4RIN View Post
    A set of basic rims the rial (forgot name) rims and a set of Pirelli Sottozero's or Blizzaks RFT etc are about $1,200-$1,400 and are a cheaper solution than buying some beat-up crap to drive in the winter or cab rides or some other genious idea.

got my jeep for $1,900 and put about $1,000 into it over the past 3 years.

IMO, id much rather have a 2nd car for the same amount as 4 wheels and tires.

EDIT: Plus reduced my insurance due to the 2 vehicles 1 driver quite a bit.
    Last edited by TwinTurboBMW; 12-02-2010 at 12:56 PM.

The past is in the past:

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    got my jeep for $1,900 and put about $1,000 into it over the past 3 years.

IMO, id much rather have a 2nd car for the same amount as 4 wheels and tires.

EDIT: Plus reduced my insurance due to the 2 vehicles 1 driver quite a bit.
    See I am quite the opposite. I'd rather have fewer cars if possible (less headach, expense, and storage space esp. in w/single garage). Also it would not make sense for me to stay without my BMW for 5-6 months out of the year, winter is very very very long here. Cost and hassle of winter wheels/tires over 3 years is much much less than having another car.
    (more pictures here)

My Cars
    08 335i
    See I am quite the opposite. I'd rather have fewer cars if possible (less headach, expense, and storage space esp. in w/single garage). Also it would not make sense for me to stay without my BMW for 5-6 months out of the year, winter is very very very long here. Cost and hassle of winter wheels/tires over 3 years is much much less than having another car.
    lol, I don't even have a garage...but to each their own. I still drive mine in the winter here, just not when it snows which isn't very often.

The past is in the past:

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    lol, I don't even have a garage...but to each their own. I still drive mine in the winter here, just not when it snows which isn't very often.
    Well I don't even have street parking, just a single spot in front of my single garage. So when I still had my e36 before I sold it, I had to play the 3 way shuffle to get one car into the garage and the other out, quite a big hassle. Add to that the fact my wife does not drive, and it makes little sense to have a 2nd car. But yeah, whatever works for your situation. I am sure once the kids are old enough to drive, all this will change.
    (more pictures here)

My Cars
    2011 335i xDrive
    I live in Bavaria, and yes, it snows a lot here. I opted for the 335xi and it works great. All my friends that have a 1 or 3 series out here are sucking. I have snow tires and summer performance so I'm getting my money's worth out of both of them.

My Cars
    2007 E92 Sport 6MT
    Snows are the way to go. I agree with Mryakan why buy a BMW to let it sit. I just drove through the last three days of horrible weather here in Michigan with my new Continental Winter Contact and never really had any scary moments. Ice is still ice but these tires make a HUGE difference. I would not dream of driving the winter here with summer and would be a bit nervous with all-seasons. Especially as I have my kid in the car quite a bit.

My Cars
    07 335i, 06 VW GTI
    Johno, I am in St Louis as well and have a 335i with sports package. I went ahead and got snow tires for the stock 17" wheels. I have 19" VMR's for the warmer weather. In St Louis the snow tires may be over kill because it only snows a few times a year about 2-3 inches, but I have a territory that I cover for work that goes into Iowa and Chicago. With the snow tires the car has actually been fantastic. It is as good as my 06 VW GTI which also had snow tires. I would suggest getting some snows, or at least all seasons for colder months. The summer tires are terrible in the snow, and as others have said in the colder months they turn into hockey pucks.

Go Cardinals!

My Cars
    '08 335XI
    Out here in Buffalo, snow tires were a must. I tried to manage without them, up until the first ice on the roads. Even with the XI it was pretty tough. Sliding at stops, squirming around corners and drifting on accident... it wasn't much fun.

If you have the performance summer RE050A's you aren't going to make it without some issues.

If you have the all seasons, you may be able to get away with them. If it only snows a few times a year and it doesn't stick around... just drive safe and cautiously when it's cold out and breke early and test your traction often.

If you want to know you're safe, spend $1,600 at tirerack and get some 17" Rial Salerno wheels, TPMS sensors and some Winterforce 3D ROF RunFlat tires. That's what I did... but, I live in Buffalo and it's pretty much a must-have here.

Good luck on your weather

My Cars
    E90 BMW 330i Sport/Lux
    This is exactly how i feel. Why would i want to spend all this money on a beautiful piece of engineering ONLY to drive it a little more than half a year? (you guys up north get more snow than us in OH, my sister lives in Tronto) I want to be able to enjoy the heated seats, traction control and just driving my car all the time.

A second vehicle would cost me too much because i'm anal with maintenance and such so i would baby even a beater. I drive too much to have an unreliable car half the year.
    E90 330i/Sport package/Bluetooth/6 speed

My Cars
    '08 BMW 335i Sedan - Alpine White
    Oyyy, it snowed about an inch in Philly yesterday and I had to drive my 335i (automatic, non-sport) with 30K on the tires (i.e., not a whole lot of tread left). Because it's so cold here, the dusting of snow turned to ice on some roads. What fun. Traffic was gridlocked, so I couldn't drive fast, but I was panicking when I'd get stuck at a light on a slight uphill incline. I didn't think the car was going to make it, but I put it in M/S mode and accelerated reeeealllly slowly and it made it. Coming downhill, I'd put it in neutral so there was no drive to the wheels at all. However, at one point, I was sitting on level ground at a light, took my foot off the brake, hadn't even given it gas yet and it started sliding sideways.

I too have driven big-ole' RWD cars in the snow -- my '72 Coupe de Ville was a tank in the snow -- but the 3's are no tanks. Given a choice yesterday, I would've stayed home.

My Cars
    See Signature
    I found out today what it's like at a safe spot near my parent's house

I have Potenza 050s and about 1/2 to 1/3 of the tread left. On packed snow they will barely go. No way would I want to try going up any slope at all.

I see on tire racks site that these are not even supposed to be used in freezing temperatures -- which leads me to ask -- didn't these come from the factory?

If so, that's a real drag.
    Johno
    -- 2003 e46 M3
    -- 2018 e90 M5

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast