Thread: E36 OBD I O2 Sensor Remove/Replace.

My Cars
    1994 325is

E36 OBD I O2 Sensor Remove/Replace.

1994 325is AT. Am getting CEL 1221 (O2 Sensor). The O2 sensor is in a very tight place - on top of the Y tube going into the cat, and close to the underside of the floor board.

The O2 Sensor tool from Autozone that came with it's own swivel handle did not really fit in that tight place. If you have done yours, can you tell me specifically what tool and method you used?

Or did you have to drop the cat and pipe assembly ? The O2 sensor is located as shown in http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...ensor/pic7.jpg.

Thanks,
    bobby.d.bm

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    I used a crows foot O2 sensor socket tool like the one pictured below and a pivot head ratchet.

My Cars
    325iC
    I used the one from Autozone as well with the swivel handle. I believe they're all the same, and I had NO problem fitting it under there. Although mines not AT, I'm not sure if there's an issue with there being enough clearance between the two.

Edit:

That's the one I got from Autozone, Don't know if yours is any different.
    Last edited by UnderCoverGuy11; 07-02-2012 at 05:31 PM.

My Cars
    1994 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by randomy View Post
    I used a crows foot O2 sensor socket tool like the one pictured below and a pivot head ratchet.

Did my O2 sensor this weekend with this tool and it worked great. Did it with my regular ratchet, though it was pretty tight - having a pivot would have been helpful. Manual 1994 325iC.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Funny you should post this today of all days. I just asked for help getting the o2 sensors out of my 328. However I did repalce the o2 sensor on my 325 before i sold it. It was really frozen in there. I ended up using a huge pipe wrench and and a 3' length of pipe for an extension for leverage and it finally came out.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    I used a standard open end wrench on that one. I might have used a box end wrench, but I did not use my O2 Socket because it did not fit in the space.

My Cars
    '07 328xi 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    Funny you should post this today of all days. I just asked for help getting the o2 sensors out of my 328. However I did repalce the o2 sensor on my 325 before i sold it. It was really frozen in there. I ended up using a huge pipe wrench and and a 3' length of pipe for an extension for leverage and it finally came out.
    I used this EXACT method yesterday to change mine. It took a while to maneuver the o2 sensor tool and ratchet head such that it protruded enough below the car to get a length of pipe on it.

Also, make sure you start the car for a few minutes to get things warm. That and copious amounts of pb blaster eventually got it moving ...

Good luck!
    2007 328xi 6MT, Crimson/Black Dakota, ZCW, ZPP, ZSP, L7, CA
    1992 325is Mauritius Blue Metallic

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    Oh yea, I had one of the post-cat sensors stuck on there. I used a 6 foot bar to remove it. I took a photo of all the tools needed in fact for that one: