Harrison Motorsports
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Voting out of Precinct?

My Cars
    328I
    I'm so sick of these smear ads all over my TV all the time. I think they should take anyone off of the ballot who makes one of those.

I don't want to vote for any of those crooks/liars.

They'll do the same thing in office that they are doing in their ads, point fingers at someone else when they should be busy fixing stuff that their own kind created in the first place.

My Cars
    '98 328 daily, trucks
    Quote Originally Posted by 4495 View Post
    i'm in this country illegally. my ancestors had no passports.
    No, it just means you're an anchor baby.

BTW, holla at me when you wanna bust some 9's on Washington
    - 03 Ford F-150
    - 06 Kawi 636
    - POS Chevy Silverado
    - 98 328i

My Cars
    '86 BMW 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by lug View Post
    Okay those are obviously exceptional examples especially for the Military, but considering they work for the government they have some connections.
    Thanks for acknowledging that. However, there aren't any "connections" that make it any easier. In fact, when I went to the DeKalb County courthouse to get mine, the gal said "Whuffo you need an absentee ballot? You are right here!"

My Cars
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by espguitarist View Post
    Being a Freshman though, "planning ahead" and "time management" are things that I have a hard time doing.
    I've heard that employers look for these skills in potential hires.

My Cars
    1995 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by G. P. Burdell View Post
    I've heard that employers look for these skills in potential hires.
    Shall I reemphasize 'Freshman'?

I'll get there. I'm still way more organized that a lot of the people I know.

Why's everyone hatin? I didn't do anything wrong.

My Cars
    '89 325i, '97 z3
    ... you drive an e36.

My Cars
    1995 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by RichE30 View Post
    ... you drive an e36.
    Go hit your car with a hammer, no one asked you.

My Cars
    Yes
    Shall I reemphasize 'Freshman'?
    Only until the spring.

If you say so.

More importantly, you won't make the same mistakes again.

My Cars
    1995 325i
    Only until the spring.

If you say so.

More importantly, you won't make the same mistakes again.
    You've lost me. For one, I will still be a Freshman in the Spring.

I fail to see what I did 'wrong.' If by having any interest in voting at all is 'wrong,' then I guess you would be right. Let's not forget that the vast majority of people my age do not vote at all. If having a hard time keeping everything organized during my Freshman year at GT is 'wrong,' then I guess you would be right. If not keeping up with politics because it bores me and my time is better spent struggling to maintain a 3.0 to keep HOPE is 'wrong,' then I guess you would be right. If making a thread to ask the advice of people who have voted before is 'wrong,' then I guess you would be right.

Please, inform me which of these is actually a transgression so that, like you said, I won't make the same mistakes again.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325i
    ...Go Jackets!

My Cars
    Yes
    You've lost me. For one, I will still be a Freshman in the Spring.
    Okay, but my point was that one can only lean on the "freshman" label for so long until you get into the tough classes.

I fail to see what I did 'wrong.' If by having any interest in voting at all is 'wrong,' then I guess you would be right. Let's not forget that the vast majority of people my age do not vote at all. If having a hard time keeping everything organized during my Freshman year at GT is 'wrong,' then I guess you would be right. If not keeping up with politics because it bores me and my time is better spent struggling to maintain a 3.0 to keep HOPE is 'wrong,' then I guess you would be right. If making a thread to ask the advice of people who have voted before is 'wrong,' then I guess you would be right.

Please, inform me which of these is actually a transgression so that, like you said, I won't make the same mistakes again.
    You're right. Unlike many of your peers, you are actually interested in voting. That's a good thing.

The parts of this thread that are bothering some of us old-school types are your statements that you don't know that you have to go to your assigned precinct in order to cast your vote, and you haven't taken the time to educate yourself on the candidates and the proposed amendments to the state Constitution. These are things that we Tech grads would expect from students of...shall we say...other institutions.

I was a freshman at Tech once, too, and I know how crazy things can be in that first year - but I also know that voting is an important task that requires me to pay attention to what's going on. The people we send to the state Capitol and to Washington have the power to make decisions that have a direct impact on your future and your children's future. There are too many registered voters who will ignore the issues and choose a candidate because he's good-looking.

A friend of mine has refrained from voting in previous elections because he didn't have the time to learn about the names on the ballot. I wish more voters would follow his example.

So...now's a great time to start paying attention to politics. Keep up with your voter registration card, and when the 2012 primary approaches, make sure your polling place hasn't moved from where you voted the last time. Mark the primary and general election dates on your calendar, in your phone, or wherever you keep track of your appointments. All of this should make your next voting experience go a lot more smoothly.

My Cars
    1995 325i
    Okay, but my point was that one can only lean on the "freshman" label for so long until you get into the tough classes.

You're right. Unlike many of your peers, you are actually interested in voting. That's a good thing.

The parts of this thread that are bothering some of us old-school types are your statements that you don't know that you have to go to your assigned precinct in order to cast your vote, and you haven't taken the time to educate yourself on the candidates and the proposed amendments to the state Constitution. These are things that we Tech grads would expect from students of...shall we say...other institutions.

I was a freshman at Tech once, too, and I know how crazy things can be in that first year - but I also know that voting is an important task that requires me to pay attention to what's going on. The people we send to the state Capitol and to Washington have the power to make decisions that have a direct impact on your future and your children's future. There are too many registered voters who will ignore the issues and choose a candidate because he's good-looking.

A friend of mine has refrained from voting in previous elections because he didn't have the time to learn about the names on the ballot. I wish more voters would follow his example.

So...now's a great time to start paying attention to politics. Keep up with your voter registration card, and when the 2012 primary approaches, make sure your polling place hasn't moved from where you voted the last time. Mark the primary and general election dates on your calendar, in your phone, or wherever you keep track of your appointments. All of this should make your next voting experience go a lot more smoothly.
    I understand that, which is why I said more than once (in so many words) that 'I will learn.' I don't plan on leaning on the Freshman label any longer than I am a Freshman.

For what it's worth, you do NOT have to vote at your own precinct. Legally speaking, you cannot be turned away from the polls, you will just be given a provisional ballot. I was/am not wrong about that, I just did not know that I would be given a provisional ballot. I learned that in my Government class in High School. Imagine that.

You are correct, I have not taken the time to educate myself on current politics. I don't think I can come up with any kind of excuse that would be acceptable to you old-school types. I hate reading, I don't watch any TV at all, the news is boring, and I am 18. Frankly, I feel like I have better things to do. Is that irresponsible? Yes, but I recognize that.

I realize that politics are important, and I know that it is my civic duty to vote. I know that it is about time that I grow up and start watching the news and understanding what is going on in our country, as well as internationally. I know that voting will affect my future and whether or not I have a job when I get out of school. I know all of that.

I have said it numerous times, but perhaps not enough. I will learn. I will get there.

If I sound like I'm irritated, it's because I am. Don't come in here throwing out snide comments about how "employers look for such and such" and how I've done something wrong without at least elaborating. It's comments of that sort that completely turn me away from giving a damn about politics. People get all riled up about this stuff and start throwing punches, and frankly that pisses me off. It is obvious that I am uneducated about politics and polling procedures and I asked for advice to remedy this. Instead of getting answers, I get insults. Why should I care about politics if people aren't willing to help me learn?

My Cars
    e30m52 325iT E30 E70X5
    I understand that, which is why I said more than once (in so many words) that 'I will learn.' I don't plan on leaning on the Freshman label any longer than I am a Freshman.

For what it's worth, you do NOT have to vote at your own precinct. Legally speaking, you cannot be turned away from the polls, you will just be given a provisional ballot. I was/am not wrong about that, I just did not know that I would be given a provisional ballot. I learned that in my Government class in High School. Imagine that.

You are correct, I have not taken the time to educate myself on current politics. I don't think I can come up with any kind of excuse that would be acceptable to you old-school types. I hate reading, I don't watch any TV at all, the news is boring, and I am 18. Frankly, I feel like I have better things to do. Is that irresponsible? Yes, but I recognize that.

I realize that politics are important, and I know that it is my civic duty to vote. I know that it is about time that I grow up and start watching the news and understanding what is going on in our country, as well as internationally. I know that voting will affect my future and whether or not I have a job when I get out of school. I know all of that.

I have said it numerous times, but perhaps not enough. I will learn. I will get there.

If I sound like I'm irritated, it's because I am. Don't come in here throwing out snide comments about how "employers look for such and such" and how I've done something wrong without at least elaborating. It's comments of that sort that completely turn me away from giving a damn about politics. People get all riled up about this stuff and start throwing punches, and frankly that pisses me off. It is obvious that I am uneducated about politics and polling procedures and I asked for advice to remedy this. Instead of getting answers, I get insults. Why should I care about politics if people aren't willing to help me learn?

Just vote R or D like all the good sheeple. You don't need any research or knowledge to do that. Problem solved

No but seriously I agree with what you are saying here.

My Cars
    '98 328 daily, trucks
    Cut they guy some slack. At 18, I didn't vote nor know much about politics at all. <--- to me

I have no problem with someone discussing politics with a trusted family member. Most normal peoples' political beliefs are shaped by family influence/values. Unless you're a lib - then they stem from drug usage, class warfare, and protection of heinous criminals.
    - 03 Ford F-150
    - 06 Kawi 636
    - POS Chevy Silverado
    - 98 328i

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by 98silver328i View Post
    Unless you're a lib - then they stem from drug usage, class warfare, and protection of heinous criminals.
    Hahahaha, this is funny. You forgot to add, and from driving their Prius... Those sad souls.

My Cars
    91 Cherokee, 92 EX500
    I realize that politics are important, and I know that it is my civic duty to vote.
    It is absolutely NOT your civic duty to vote.

It IS your civic duty to become educated about the issues and candidates if you choose to vote.

It absolutely IS your civic duty to refrain from voting unless you choose to educate yourself.

I'm not sure how we got this idea that everyone needs to vote, but it's horribly misguided. The majority of the eligible voters in this country shouldn't.

In the future, if nothing else, set aside a few hours before you vote to sit down and do a little research about the candidates and the issues. Also its a good idea to keep half an eye on the news so you have at least a little idea of what's going on before you go to vote. You know those facebook breaks you take at 3 AM in the library? Replace every other one with a visit to a couple news sites - that's all it takes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12