Thread: I need some help fixing my heater

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i, 2001 M3

Exclamation I need some help fixing my heater

Hey Guys, I've been trying to fix the heater in my 535i. My fan blower is not working on all 4 stages. I replaced the "sword" heater resistor, but that didn't fix the problem. What should be next on my list of things to check/replace in order to get my heat up and running before snow starts flying? Thanks!

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28
    The Blower Resistor?

Up under the carpet panel above the gas pedal. just shoves into the air box and plugs into the harness there..

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i, 2001 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jehu View Post
    The Blower Resistor?

Up under the carpet panel above the gas pedal. just shoves into the air box and plugs into the harness there..

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Mainte...ical/Sword.htm
    I replace the "Sword" but still no heat/fan.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T

My Cars
    1995 AlpineWeiß 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by JAM///535i View Post
    Hey Guys, I've been trying to fix the heater in my 535i. My fan blower is not working on all 4 stages. I replaced the "sword" heater resistor, but that didn't fix the problem. What should be next on my list of things to check/replace in order to get my heat up and running before snow starts flying? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    Get yourself the appropriate wiringdiagram and start tracing. PM me if you can't find it anywhere else. My bet is a bad switch in the control panel.
    I had the same problem as you JAM. Ended up being worn brushes on the blower motor. Picked one up from a junkyard for $25, tossed it in, and I can't tell you how nice it was not having to defrost anymore with a towel lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jehu View Post
    The Blower Resistor?

I think they switched from the $900 new swords to these little resistors only for 1995. Maybe 94 idk.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T

My Cars
    various
    note that worn brushes in the heater blower cause increase current draw in that circuit which have been linked to a number of E34 dash fires.

My Cars
    89 525iA RIP, 90 525I
    Just went through this whole process... Assuming the sword is good, my $ is on the brushes being worn out. Do a search for brushes replacement and you'll find more than you want to know.