2002 530i

JL Audio vs Alpine sub in our 5

JL Audio 10w3v3 sub
    JL Audio J2 500.1 amp
    Scosche Se10 box

Alpine SWR-1043D sub
    Alpine MRP-M500 amp
    Scosche Se10 box

I'm looking at these 2 possible setups in my trunk. Are the sub and amp appropriate for each other? I'm not familiar with this kind of stuff so I rely on your recommendation. I plan to cut 2 large holes in the deck or make 4 small ones (sorry, still no hole in ski pass). Which option would be better for our car? I personally listen to rock primarily, but like to throw in some heavy bass every now and then. Would you recommend a different sub or amp or box? 1 - 10" or 1 - 12"? I'm looking to pull the trigger soon. I really need something back there.

Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    z3
    Go with the Type R. JL Audio is overpriced IMO. Im not sure how exactly that sub and amp is setup but I used a similar MRD-M605 sub on a Type R in my truck and its been great. The Type R could definitely take a little more than 500 RMS though

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi there Baehan

Definitley a +1 for the JL subwoofers. Take a look at some of the audio reviews in the magazines where they test a number of same sized subwoofers from different manufacturers and you'll see the JL's always placed in the top 2. Alpine also make some good subs in their range, and perhaps some of their newer designs are approaching manufacturers like JL and MTX etc.

The best 'way' to get bass into an E39 cabin is shown here

a box is constructed with a hole that lines up with the ski hatch. This means all the bass energy is transferred into the cabin. Any other method loses some of that energy by being kept in the trunk/boot area and doing nothing but shaking your number plate and bootlid.

I've personally heard the system setup in the car I've pictured above - he's running 2 JL's as you can see and they sound fantastic. Tight and controlled, able to provide a discreet bump when on everyday mode and when turned up, deep, clean and powerful bass.

I think the USA focussed Car Audio & electronics website recently had a subwoofer test and the JL's came out on top as they are very 'musical' subwoofers.

I've recently decided to go with the JL 8W3 V3 subwoofer in my touring after hearing it and being simply astounded at how such a small box produces that amount of bass! I will be sounding out other subwoofers as well though, but I'm a convert now as previously I used to use alot of Earthquake equipment.

For your tastes, it's really up to you if you want a single or double subwoofer setup, a 10 or 12 inch, and pricewise, well you guys enjoy the cheapest pricing in the world for consumer goods, so from my view, even at recommended retail pricing, most things in the USA are substantially cheaper than over here. The pricing differential between other subwoofers is there, but I'd be a +1 for spending the extra on the JL's for instance

Cheers, Dennis! West London UK!

My Cars
    M52 5MT Sport 01/98
    I LOVE my Alpine Type R 12" and 500x1 watt amp combo: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1510673
    Rules to live by:
    - Fast, reliable, cheap. You can only have two.
    - Do it right, or do it twice.
    - BMW: Just because you can afford to buy one, that doesn't mean you can afford to own one.

1998 528i 5-speed sport - sandbeige with technical graphite trim - Jim Conforti Shark Injector - CDV delete - MY2000 M5 Xenon headlights - MY2000 M5 tails - PP M5 front bumper - E46 M3 paper filter - E60 545i shifter w/ E46 ZHP knob - 12" Alpine Type-R & 500w RF - CD53 w/ AUX input

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528
    Go with Elemental Designs, a 13av.2 and a nine.1 amp with a sealed box if you mostly listen to rock. And the woofer is INSANE when you really want some bass. I wish I would've gone with this setup instead of my dual 12" setup I have now.

My Cars
    E39 540i

My Cars
    2002 530i
    thanks for the help guys. after talking with a few other people, i've decided to go with the JL audio equipment. now, as for boxes go, JL recommends a .625 sealed box. i cna only find .58 and .75 sealed box. which would you recommend and why? thanks again.

dennis - how many 8's are you running? are they in the cabin or in the trunk?
    Last edited by baehan; 10-27-2010 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi Baehan,

I have a Touring, and after I heard the JL 8W3 I'm more than happy and astonished at the bass output it produces! So I'm going for the single sub option.

As you are a Saloon/Sedan, I'd still 'urge' you to make a box similar to the pictures above - get a pro audio shop to make it for instance, you'll NOT be disappointed at all! The 'trick' is to move bass into the cabin, and this type of box is the way to 100% acheive that. If you put a 10 inch ported box in the trunk and it's not, butted up against the rearseats bulkhead, then a good proportion of the bass will just stay in the trunk and only rattle the lid and shake the number plate.

Cheers, Dennis! West London UK

My Cars
    z3
    Use the smaller box as opposed to the bigger box if a custom option is not a choice

JL Audio I will say again, is overpriced garbage. Ask a true audiophile what they prefer and it wont be JL

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi Blackxs,

I wouldn't say JL Audio is 'garbage' ! I think that's a bit harsh !

In the vehicle environment, it's very difficult to get 'audiophile' levels of performance and clarity - it can be done of course, but the usual things here are that you'd have to spend some serious amounts of money on audiophile level brands and products/technologies to achieve it. Very 'few' enthusiasts will perhaps go and purchase the vehicular range of McIntosh for instance - now that's Audiophile level. I'm struggling to think of any other really high end car audio brands - perhaps ones who make high end home audio etc. Although companies like Infinity, Harman Kardon, JBL, Earthquake etc make high end home audio, their vehicle range isn't in the same league.

Also, as I said above, have a look at the reviews and you'll see JL Audio consistently rate very highly for providing car audio bass solutions. I still have a soft spot for my Earthquake for instance as well as Cerwin Vega but JL audio for me now ranks very highly!

My Cars
    former E39 owner
    JL overpriced? prolly.

Garbage? that's fanboy talk. even JL haters (if they're being honest with themselves) have to admit they make decent stuff, price notwithstanding.

Blackxs tends to take a "I'd go with X, everything else is pure trash" stance in most of his statements anyway.

Anywho, I had a 10" alpine type R in my trunk, and switched it out for a 12" JL w3v3 sub. Everything else in my system stayed the same. The JL seems to have a bigger sweet spot, but the type R seemed louder. Not sure how much of that had to do with size though. The type R had a box custom made for it, while the JL has just a generic one.

My Cars
    z3
    Fanboy? Im not an Alpine fanboy, I havent even been into car audio in years - there are plenty of other great brands out there but I have had plenty of Alpine subs and amps and none have given me problems. JL is reliable too but for the price, you can do better. Maybe saying its garbage is a bit over the top but JL is not the best, at least not the best for the money

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    former E39 owner
    Quote Originally Posted by blackxs View Post
    Maybe saying its garbage is a bit over the top but JL is not the best, at least not the best for the money
    See if you would have said that from the get go it would have been a more useful/accurate statement. I can agree with that.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Blackxs and knux!

So which brands would you put forward instead of JL? I 'think' I have a shortlist of potential brands - just want to see what you guys opinion/recommendations are!

My Cars
    former E39 owner
    Well like blackxs said, I haven't been into car audio in years either really, so, hard to say. I did feel that the price difference with JL didn't quite match up with the quality difference, at least to me. It was overpriced.

As far as better brands in general, off the top of my head, Focal comes to mind.

My Cars
    2003 530i/5 2008 Hemi WK

My Cars
    are rarely driven. My garage is the airport.
    I've used JL and the Alpine type-R, and here's what I've experienced - JL for the budget and rating provides cleaner sound at less power, and takes up a little less space than the Alpine unit. The Alpine is a monster when powered up, but control gets a little difficult when you're balancing with your other components - you need good control over your crossover setups, and would be especially helpful if you're using harmonics controls as the sub output gets very steep as you increase the power.

I agree with Focal, great sound, but you blow your entire budget. You could get very good results (tight, accurate bass) with Alumapro Alchemy MX or Eclipse Titanium DVC's for non-competition units. If you're not after boomy, muddy bass, don't even think about going with a ported box of any sort. The box construction often becomes the weak point in nearly all the sub setups I've seen.
    Fixing a Cherokee compared to an Audi is like comparing Lego blocks with rocketship schematics. You could fit a midget or two inside the engine bay of a 4.0L Cherokee and still have room to swing a sack. Hell, it could have its own moat around the engine and still fit into the bay. You might as well have doubly-jointed double-joints to work on that damned Audi and an instruction manual that was translated from German into French, back to German and then into English just to screw with you. -andrewmacc

My E39 has 100,000 miles on it and the MPG is so bad that every time I start it, the ghost of a dinosaur appears in the passenger seat and cries.

My Cars
    former E39 owner
    Not a fan of Diamond Audio.

Also, Audison seemed to make very good amplifiers.

Seems like you need to know what market you're in before you go comparing brands. A Kicker/MTX/Alpine customer isn't going to want to look at Focal and the like, and vice versa.

My Cars
    2003 530i/5 2008 Hemi WK
    Quote Originally Posted by knux11 View Post
    Not a fan of Diamond Audio.
    Any particular reason why?

My Cars
    '03 530i5
    If you're an audiophile, definitely get the JL Audio subs! It is probably one of the best SQL subs ever. It performs effortlessly at all bass output. It's highs and lows are tight and defined without any distortion.

I have 2-JL 12W7 and 2-JL HD 750/1. It is perfect for my broad range of music genres.
    I am thinking about selling them though because I have not been using them for quite a while since after I traded in my previous car. Let me know if you're interested.

My Cars
    1997 528i, 2007 328i
    Most of these choices are a matter of taste. If installed correctly, most components can sound decent at the least. I am an audiophile and have been for quite sometime. Soundstream make very good subwoofers as does Boston Acoustics, Focal. Blackxs is right about the box size. You can have, and I say this reluctantly, decent sounding bass in a bandpass box at best. Ideally though, you want a small, sealed enclosure for more accurate, tight bass. Period. It also all depends on what you want to spend. Ive used some great amps over the years, the better ones costing more. McIntosh, Precision Power, Soundstream Van Gogh series, Mark Levinson just to name a few.
    Arctic Metallic 2007 328i Coupe
    Alpine White 1997 528i
    Orange 2011 Dodge Caliber
    Titanium Silver 1985 325e (RIP), Oxford Green 1992 325i (RIP)
    Sachs Sport Suspension, 18x8.5 18x9 staggered RPM 505
    OEM prefacelift M5 headlights and taillights
    Boston Acoustics Pro50SE speakers, Boston Acoustics Competitor 12" sub
    Boston Acoustics GTA-400M and GT-22 amps, Alpine CDE-HD148BT Headunit

My Cars
    are rarely driven. My garage is the airport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Damaskus325 View Post
    Ive used some great amps over the years, the better ones costing more. McIntosh, Precision Power, Soundstream Van Gogh series, Mark Levinson just to name a few.
    Oh I miss my old McIntosh tube amps. Nothing I've used before or after have come close (the next best were Xtants circa '98). Soundstreams were great but a little fragile - DaVinci was great for comp (show) until it blows regularly during Db drags.
    Fixing a Cherokee compared to an Audi is like comparing Lego blocks with rocketship schematics. You could fit a midget or two inside the engine bay of a 4.0L Cherokee and still have room to swing a sack. Hell, it could have its own moat around the engine and still fit into the bay. You might as well have doubly-jointed double-joints to work on that damned Audi and an instruction manual that was translated from German into French, back to German and then into English just to screw with you. -andrewmacc

My E39 has 100,000 miles on it and the MPG is so bad that every time I start it, the ghost of a dinosaur appears in the passenger seat and cries.

My Cars
    '03 530i5
    Quote Originally Posted by Damaskus325 View Post
    Most of these choices are a matter of taste. If installed correctly, most components can sound decent at the least. I am an audiophile and have been for quite sometime. Soundstream make very good subwoofers as does Boston Acoustics, Focal. Blackxs is right about the box size. You can have, and I say this reluctantly, decent sounding bass in a bandpass box at best. Ideally though, you want a small, sealed enclosure for more accurate, tight bass. Period. It also all depends on what you want to spend. Ive used some great amps over the years, the better ones costing more. McIntosh, Precision Power, Soundstream Van Gogh series, Mark Levinson just to name a few.
    I agree, but all subs have their potential to a certain point. Sure it depends what you're into, SQ or SP and not all subs perform any of them better than others for a particular category. Not all subs are built equally, different manufacturers use different voice coil and magnet materials with different spider, top plate and t-yoke structures. It's the perfection of design and material of the sub that separates one sub from the other.

As for me I prefer a sub woofer with SQL because I want my subs to have quality and also be able to be loud for certain type of music with heavy beats. So the materials and specs of a sub woofer is a major factor in my decision. So I prefer JL, MTX or Rockford Fosgate for their performance and experience with sub woofers. Matching up sub woofers with the correct amp is also critical since you want the right wattage and ohms to push out the subs full potential without it over performing and over heating. I prefer JL, Phoenix Gold, Rockford Fosgate, MTX, Orion, Kicker, Hifonics etc.

There is a lot of models out there, just be sure to test them out and research before purchasing a sub. And yes, the sub enclosure is a big factor in performance as well. Whether the box is ported or sealed, as long as it's within specs recommended by the manufacturer you should be fine anything smaller than specified recommendation would distort sound and defeat the whole purpose of having the subwoofer in the first place. As for ported or sealed, it depends on what type of bass output you're looking for, ported gives you a better sound pressure (more rumble) while sealed gives you better sound quality.

OP, I hope my post gave you a better insight on what type of sub woofer you're looking for. Remember research and test before purchasing.
    Last edited by htran; 10-27-2010 at 05:45 PM.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisCooper View Post
    Blackxs and knux!

So which brands would you put forward instead of JL? I 'think' I have a shortlist of potential brands - just want to see what you guys opinion/recommendations are!

For my cars I will probably always use Alpine. Reasonably priced, great customer support, follow through on their warranties. To me that stuff is as important as the actual product.

But if I was to recommend to someone a system, I will say I used to run a Massive Audio (kinda went down the drains last few years) 15" subwoofer with a Hifonics and later an Alpine amp, and it was more than you could ever need. It could vibrate your trunk to hell or just give you a very clear bass note - depending on how you set it up. Back in the days, I set it up for sheer volume. Eventually I got sick of that and switched to the Alpine amp and tuned it for quality. It was great

So for subwoofers I would recommend Alpine, MA (Massive Audio), and I wouldnt be above looking at the new Pioneer stuff, they were making good stuff when I stopped with audio, I heard their new line is even better. Beyond those, if you just do a little research there are just TONS of small companies that make great sounding subwoofers that are better than most mass produced units, for cheaper. Thats where I discovered MA

For amps, Hifonics, Alpine, MTX (hate their subs and their amps are a little "gritty" for me, but they are powerful as anything). Not sure who else it out there right now. Kicker was big awhile ago but I expected the excitement over Kicker to fade along with the excitement over a square subwoofer... I dont hear too terribly much about them these days so I assume I was correct

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    former E39 owner
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherGeezer View Post
    Any particular reason why?
    Honestly, nothing substantial. Years ago I was trying to order an Alpine Type X sub and the audio shop dude (a dude i didn't really trust) kept pushing Diamond Audio, Diamond Audio Diamond Audio, saying they're better than alpine, better than JL, beter than this better than that. Not to mention his prices and what I could get for the same price as the type X kept getting better and better, I just got the impression that if it were better it wouldn't be so damn cheap.

Alpine used to be my brand of choice for head units. From about 98 to 2003 they were excellent; Now they're terrible. I got that INA-W901 and had to sell it after a month.

Blackxs (and anyone else), what's your opinions on Resonant Engineering (RE)?
    Last edited by knux11; 10-27-2010 at 08:02 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast