Thread: Paint/Dye a Convertible Soft Top?

My Cars
    E36 328i Convertible

Paint/Dye a Convertible Soft Top?

Hey all.

Has anyone every successfully changed the colour or re-coloured a soft top?

My top is blue and has a bit of sun streaking, nothing major, but am thinking it would be nice to re-colour it. Probably go with black for maximum coverage potential but not sure it can actually be done - with it being specifically waterproof.

Any thoughts or experience welcome.
    1995 E36 328i Convertible
    White with dark blue top and grey leather interior. 18" E90 M3 Wheels, Alpine iDA-x305, stealth 8" sub in ski pass, upgraded speakers. Otherwise all factory.

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    I don't see that it would not work. I do think you would need to use some strong cleaner with no bleed dye. However light to dark only is your only option as I don't think you can do the other way dying this...

My Cars
    E36 328i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
    I don't see that it would not work. I do think you would need to use some strong cleaner with no bleed dye. However light to dark only is your only option as I don't think you can do the other way dying this...
    I just hope someone has actually done it though.. don't fancy being the one to post "my top bled all over my car"

White with dark blue top and grey leather interior. 18" E90 M3 Wheels, Alpine iDA-x305, stealth 8" sub in ski pass, upgraded speakers. Otherwise all factory.

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible
    Yes I have redyed a black roof to black, using Renovo reviver. It's basically black permenant ink in a bottle.

Your roof is fabric, so clean it, crack it open a bit to release some tension in the weave, cover the inside of the car to catch drips.

Now comes the hard bit.

I did a Z3 roof. The instructions said "only do one panel of fabric at a time." First I did one half of the main roof area, then went around and did the other half.

Two hours later - large stripe down the centre of the roof...

You need to get some steps/a sturdy stool and ideally an assistant so that you can wet an entire panel of fabric at the same time.

I ended up buying another bottle then doing it again, three coats in total and it came out great.

Then I coated it with proofer to get the water to bead.

Note - don't wear your favourite white T Shirt. The temptation is to work really fast, and you will splash your clothes and your paint with black ink. The clothes will be ruined, and you will spend two hours picking dried ink off the paint. Ideally cover the paint near the roof and work with a rag in your back pocket to catch spills before they dry.

It's not a walk in the park - but it is do-able and it needs two people and two sets of something to stand on.

My Cars
    E36 328i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by estocks View Post
    Yes I have redyed a black roof to black, using Renovo reviver. It's basically black permenant ink in a bottle.

Your roof is fabric, so clean it, crack it open a bit to release some tension in the weave, cover the inside of the car to catch drips.

Now comes the hard bit.

I did a Z3 roof. The instructions said "only do one panel of fabric at a time." First I did one half of the main roof area, then went around and did the other half.

Two hours later - large stripe down the centre of the roof...

You need to get some steps/a sturdy stool and ideally an assistant so that you can wet an entire panel of fabric at the same time.

I ended up buying another bottle then doing it again, three coats in total and it came out great.

Then I coated it with proofer to get the water to bead.

Note - don't wear your favourite white T Shirt. The temptation is to work really fast, and you will splash your clothes and your paint with black ink. The clothes will be ruined, and you will spend two hours picking dried ink off the paint. Ideally cover the paint near the roof and work with a rag in your back pocket to catch spills before they dry.

It's not a walk in the park - but it is do-able and it needs two people and two sets of something to stand on.

Thanks for the feedback.

Do you think the speed of drying will be an issue. Chances are here (in Brisbane) its going to be hot and sunny when I try it. Do you think fast drying will be a problem?

My Cars
    M3 Evo Vert
    Andzzz

I will echo what estocks has said and add my experience.

I used the Renovo products a couple of years ago on my top. The top itself is in good nick but was a bit stained/faded. I put a coat of reviver on using a brush - you work from the middle front, outwards to the edges and then rearwards, covering one side and then starting back at the front on the opposite side. I had a mate work the opposite side of the car so that both halves were done at the same time, if that makes sense.

Initial reactions were that I was very pleased. The colour was much improved (I have the navy blue top). BUT - I noticed that once it was dry, you could see slight brush marks in bright sunlight and you see the join where our brushes met at the middle of the car. We decided to give the roof another coat so waited for another dry and cloudy day (instructions say not to apply in bright sunlight).

It did look better after the second coat but you could still see slight brush marks at certain angles under bright sunlight.

I decided to give the manufacturer a call because I felt that I had followed instructions to the letter. What I was told was that not only that the product not be applied in sunlight, but that the roof should be nice and cool too (it don't say that on the packet!). I was also told I would get better results spraying the product on.

Don't get me wrong, it didn't look awful - it was a vast improvement - but it just wasn't perfect.

My plan was to wait for a cool dry day, and then spray a final coat on using an HVLP spraygun. I never got around to try the spraying though. But you would need to be able to reach the entire width of the roof to do it properly, I would guess.

All in all, much improved over what I had before, bearing in mind that the top is more than 11 years old.

So, to answer your last question, yes, you will likely run into the same problems I had if you try and do this in hot sunny weather.

Hope that helps some.

Mark

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

My Cars
    E36 328i Convertible
    Thanks guys... all in all not a job to be tackled without some very specific planning!

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    IMG_1807.jpg

Hey:

I have a 2004 E46 CI... looking at spraying the top w paint or dye. Its in good condition but faded. How did the top look after you did it? What about cracking or uneven look?

My Cars
    1997 328i c M trim
    I have seen spray paint for canvas . Not sure how that would work 4 u. I used it on some outdoor cushions and it held up well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    This car is AWESOME !!!