Thread: S54, replacing fuel tank breather valve, Peake code 1b 24.

My Cars
    01 LSB 367M

S54, replacing fuel tank breather valve, Peake code 1b 24.

After living with Peake code 1b-24 and the SES light for a while, I finally got around to replacing this fuel tank breather valve. Turns out, it's located under the intake plenum and accessible by removing the airbox.

The circle points to the little tab this breather valve hangs off of.

The valve has two hoses attached to it, one towards the front of the car. The other below the valve. The latter is a real pain to remove. It has one of those plastic compression collars that you have to press very hard then pull apart. The other hose just twists off. At the other end of this valve is the wiring harness (press on metal clip and pull off). This harness can be seen in the 3 images above, to the right of the circle.

Packaging with part number. $80-90 part.

Note: If you need to pass smog after clearing codes, drive the car a few days before attempting. Test results will be rejected due to lack of data.
    Last edited by felonious monk; 10-09-2010 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Interesting. When the Autologics computer does the tank vent test, it's the one by the (brake) servo doing the "clicking."

Makes me wonder if it's testing the wrong device...?

How'd you make the determination, by seeing what it looked like when you took it out of the box? That'd do it for me

My bad, for any misinformation

My Cars
    01 LSB 367M
    Autologics is most likely testing the wrong device. The one by the brake booster doesn't appear to have much to do with the fuel system (yet it has a line to the plenum?) No idea what it is, I guess we'll find out when that fails?

Once I realized the two parts didn't match I started poking around the engine bay with a flashlight, and vaguely recall talking to Ben Carufel's ex-girlfriend (who was a dealer tech) about it. She mentioned it's accessible with removal of the airbox.

No problem with the misinformation. We all learn collectively.
    Last edited by felonious monk; 10-09-2010 at 03:23 PM.

My Cars
    01 E36/8
    I've been fighting this intermittently for around a year. A few weeks ago I had had it with the light and took the Coupe to Eurowerks and had John scan my Coupe with his reader (type unknown). The Fuel Tank Breather was showing an intermittent fault. I replaced it about 12 cycles and 200 miles ago and so far no light. I was waiting on posting the fix until I was sure it was fixed. Murphy and all that. So far so good.

Have you noticed if your fuel tank has positive pressure when you remove the cap to refuel it? So far mine does not seem to have any pressure relief when I remove the cap.
    01 M S54 Estoril Coupe (Fun)16 Mini Clubman S(Daily)03 325i (Wifes Car)Your never further away from oblivion than a distracted soccer mom in a SUV.

My Cars
    01 LSB 367M
    Overall, the work wasn't difficult. Most of the time was spent getting the stubborn compression connector off. My fingertips still hurt! Error code seems to be staying away, will drive it the whole week to get some data in the system for passing smog. Mine was never intermittent. It would come back on within 1 or 2 ignition cycles. I did notice positive pressure in the tank before with the SES light.

My Cars
    01 E36/8
    Quote Originally Posted by felonious monk View Post
    Overall, the work wasn't difficult. Most of the time was spent getting the stubborn compression connector off. My fingertips still hurt! Error code seems to be staying away, will drive it the whole week to get some data in the system for passing smog. Mine was never intermittent. It would come back on within 1 or 2 ignition cycles. I did notice positive pressure in the tank before with the SES light.
    The Compression connector was a PITA. I have a Dinan CAI so access was no problem for me. Did you notice positive pressure in the tank after the light? Now?

Good luck with the fix. Keep us posted on your results.
    01 M S54 Estoril Coupe (Fun)16 Mini Clubman S(Daily)03 325i (Wifes Car)Your never further away from oblivion than a distracted soccer mom in a SUV.

My Cars
    01 LSB 367M
    No positive pressure upon removal of filler cap now. Now I have a flashing tire pressure warning light. One thing after another. Probably has something to do with the wheel weights I keep finding on my garage floor.

My Cars
    2002 M roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by felonious monk View Post
    No positive pressure upon removal of filler cap now. Now I have a flashing tire pressure warning light. One thing after another. Probably has something to do with the wheel weights I keep finding on my garage floor.
    Did you retrain the tire pressure warning system? I've had to retrain mine once or twice in the M, and many times in the MINI since I am easily amused (handbrake turns in the winter confuse the system since it's based purely on wheel rotation comparisons).
    Daniel
    2002 M roadster
    persistently obsolete mod list

My Cars
    01 LSB 367M
    Yup, reset the system earlier. And passenger rear was a bit low, might have a slow leak.

My Cars
    01 LSB 367M
    Update. 2 full days and the SES has not returned. Looks like the Peake tool fingered the right suspect; knock on wood.

2001 S54 LSB/NAPA. 1 of 7.