Thread: WTB E60. What options? Packages?

My Cars
    '98 528i spt, '95 M3

WTB E60. What options? Packages?

I'm making the move from my E39 to an E60.

Pretty sure I want a 530i manual.

From research, I believe the 04-06 had 230HP? 525i had 192 HP?

In '07 there was a facelift and the 530 was bumped to 272HP? 525 to 218 HP? Am I right?... it's a bit confusing..

So I think what I'd want is a '07 530i w/sport package? What other packages are available? Is the manual still available for an '07? What year/package/options is most desirable and why?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!

.........Wow. This subforum sucks.
    Last edited by djlarroc; 09-23-2010 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2007 530xi 6 spd.manual
    I made the move from an E39 to the E60 this past month. Not that I wanted to... A tree fell on my car and totaled it.

I don't know much about the HP for the various models, but I ended up with a black on black '07 530xi with 6 speed manual. The E39 was also a manual. I won't drive an automatic. In fact, I had a 2011 328xi with 6 speed paddle shifters as a loaner this past week. What a joke! I'll stick with a 6M thank you.

I have the Sport package, Winter package and Premium package. It has the Logic 7 radio (but no NAV) comfort seats, Sirius radio, Bluetooth, heated steering wheel and seats, and voice command.

I'd consider the AWD xi if you have snow where you live. The car handles awesomely around corners and I can't wait for the snow to fly.

Another thing... the E60 is worlds apart from the E39. I fought the ins. company tooth and nail trying to save it, but glad it worked out the way it did because I LOVE THIS CAR!

Quote Originally Posted by djlarroc View Post

.........Wow. This subforum sucks.
    Hint: Try http://forums.5series.net/
    Last edited by JayArras; 09-30-2010 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    06 E60 550I/93 Acura Leg
    e60 550i You won't regret it!!!!

My Cars
    '98 528i spt, '95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
    I made the move from an E39 to the E60 this past month. Not that I wanted to... A tree fell on my car and totaled it.

I don't know much about the HP for the various models, but I ended up with a black on black '07 530xi with 6 speed manual. The E39 was also a manual. I won't drive an automatic. In fact, I had a 2011 328xi with 6 speed paddle shifters as a loaner this past week. What a joke! I'll stick with a 6M thank you.

I have the Sport package, Winter package and Premium package. It has the Logic 7 radio (but no NAV) comfort seats, Sirius radio, Bluetooth, heated steering wheel and seats, and voice command.

I'd consider the AWD xi if you have snow where you live. The car handles awesomely around corners and I can't wait for the snow to fly.

Another thing... the E60 is worlds apart from the E39. I fought the ins. company tooth and nail trying to save it, but glad it worked out the way it did because I LOVE THIS CAR!

Hint: Try http://forums.5series.net/
    Thanks so much for the info!!! As much as I love my E39, I've heard great things about the E60 and it's very very tempting now, w/the prices dropping. I'll be good w/non AWD. I have a Jeep for the winter.

I'll take a look at that link. Thanks!

My Cars
    2004 545i SMG w/Sport Package 1997 Lexus LS 400
    06 model year is when the 530 went to 255HP.

Being in Denver you'll want the cold weather package(most are going to have this), look for HID lights, and the sport package is very nice to have. Just know you'll need a set of winter tires then also.........which in Denver would be a good thing anyways. Nav. is nice but the BMW Nav isn't the best in the world so I won't let it break my choice on a car.

Check this link out it will give you an ideal of everything that is available and you can decide what is most wanted for yourself. http://www.5series.net/information/ Lots of info on those pages for you.

My Cars
    2008 535i
    Not sure if you found a car yet...but I have a very nice '08 535i for sale. I'm the original owner, black/black, 6-speed, sports, premium, navigation, heated seats, ipod, new Michelin non runflats, 38K highway miles, always garaged...still under factory warranty till 12/2011...super nice/clean car.

I was gonna send you a private message, but can't find that option. Also, I was gonna attach a picture...but can't see how to upload one...geezz...sorry..
    Last edited by allen0430; 10-11-2010 at 10:12 AM.

My Cars
    '98 528i spt, '95 M3
    Well a year later to the day, I got the balls to post my e39 and sold it the same day.

So now, it's off to look at E60s. I want to pay cash, so in the price range of about 12-15k. I know that's not a whole lot, but I'm willing to travel. I've seen a few cars that I like. '04-05 530i sport manual. I know it's going to have over 100k.

Anyone have any recommendations on what to look for at that mileage?

My last 3 BMWs I bought w/over 100k and they were great cars.

My Cars
    2008 BMW 535i
    Try to find a newer 535i with a bit more cash. The N54 Engine will blow that 530 away. Read up on it because the N54. Is not the same (exactly) as the engines that go in the other E60's in 2008 anyway. Do you own research on it. You can Google it, Facebook it, or You Tube it. Great engine IMO.

My Cars
    1988 BMW 535i
    I have a 545i in that price range and I live in fort collins. Its a 6 spd Manual, Cold weather, sport pack with NAV/dvd. PM me for more details. 106k and counting.
    Last edited by ChickenMagnet; 10-09-2011 at 09:08 AM.

My Cars
    E60
    I have one and going back to school in Jan. Its a 2008 550i sport package just bought brand new tires navi heated seats give me a call 580 583 8598. Just take over the loan... Zachary

My Cars
    2007 M5 Interlagos Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by track1z
    I have one and going back to school in Jan. Its a 2008 550i sport package just bought brand new tires navi heated seats give me a call 580 583 8598. Just take over the loan... Zachary
    I sent you a text message. I am in the market to buy this week.
    99 Estoril M3 GC coilovers CAI- Lost to a careless driver
    95 Daytona Violet M3 AA S/C, intercooled, external oil cooler, Schrick cams, Porsche 993 TT MAF, BAV. Auto High output coilpacks, JP shorty header, B&B triflow, AA track pipe, 3.64 lsd, GC Coilovers Race setup, GC Sway bars, GC lower control arms, GC Race camberplates, Euro floating rotors front, Crossdrilled rotors rear, 18" BBS RSC, Recaro SRDs, UUC evo 3 ssk, Carbonfiber hood & Spoiler plus much much more... SOLD!
    07 Subaru Sti, Black, K&N FIPK,Cobb tuned, 3" exhaust turbo back, Black powder coated rims, Spoiler delete, 20% tint... Black and Beautful. SOLD!
    97 Boston Green M3/4 Modena interior B&B triflow, M50 Intake, Porsche 993 HFM, Schrick Cams, Turner stg 5 tune, ASC delete, Fan delete, Euro floating rotors, Hawk pads ...Now a 5 spd!
    03 X5 4.4i...Sold
    99 540 6spd...sold
    01 M5...Sold, Miss it every day.
    2001 740il My new family hauler....for now.

My Cars
    '98 528i spt, '95 M3
    Got my E60.

2004 530i 6spd manual, titanium gray II on dakota grey. 120k miles. sports pkg, prem pkg. clean carfax. 1 owner. $12.5.

My Cars
    535is, 525i, 540iT,650ic
    Just starting to look for an e60 and stumbled on this thread. Long time e28 and e39 owner. Wanting to hold on to my cash, I need to buy an e60 so I can get a loan (7 year or newer under 100k) so that limited the cars I could look for. Saw an earlier post above about the n54, which is a great driving car, BUT holly $heet on long term non-warranty repair cost . I would like a v8 and want the power, but not the cost as well. I like manuals and usually have one, but this purchase will be an Auto, so the wife can drive. As a service writer, shop owner and long time wrencher, I am going with a 2004 530i - m54 engine and a regular key, no push button. For long term ownership, those are important to me. The m54 is just easy to work on and half the cost of most repairs on the n52. Sure it has less horsepower, but driving an e28 for the last 2 years, it will be an improvement. I really like the 2003 540i e39, but can not find one I can buy in my price range, with low mileage.

Anyway that is my thought. The new cars are great to drive, but suck for dealer support and repair cost after warranty, IMO. The new stuff is getting overly complicated and from a technician point of view the new motors take proven designs and then make them really overly complicated - Just replaced an electric water pump and t-stat on 2008 535i n54 to the tune of $1395.00! comparison on m54 is about $600 retail - DIY is easy and that is $245.....

Any way food for thought as I contemplate my next Bimmer....

My Cars
    '98 528i spt, '95 M3
    Thanks for the post - makes me feel better!

I opted to pass on the N52 due to the sludge problems I've read about due to the new head design. Looking at the M54, looks just like the trusty engine i had in my 528 E39. I'm fine w/less power as well. None of the I6 are fast in the 5ers anyway.

My Cars
    535is, 525i, 540iT,650ic
    Quote Originally Posted by djlarroc View Post
    Thanks for the post - makes me feel better!

I opted to pass on the N52 due to the sludge problems I've read about due to the new head design. Looking at the M54, looks just like the trusty engine i had in my 528 E39. I'm fine w/less power as well. None of the I6 are fast in the 5ers anyway.
    A quick update....I bought an e60 525i with 82k for $13,700 this afternoon.
    I went that route for a few reasons. Still has the m54 motor, with only 215 horsepower though, oh well. But it is a 2005 so no electrical issues, has the Blue-tooth and came with brand new tires on sport package wheels. Also has the cold weather package and gets me heated seats. Silver with light gray interior. Car is mechanically clean and has only the smallest of minor blems showing it as a pre-owned car.

Anyway, I thought I would let you know. I made the decision on future repair cost and cost of ownership while my kids are young and my income stagnet. I will pay it off in 2 years tops I hope and the car in my sig with 312K is going to a good home (a co-worker wrenching/buddy).
    Let me know what you buy...-Rob

My Cars
    n/a
    Congrats on the purchase. What do you feel needs to be changed/serviced in your 525i with 82k miles on the odometer ?

My Cars
    '98 528i spt, '95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by carnutdallas View Post
    A quick update....I bought an e60 525i with 82k for $13,700 this afternoon.
    I went that route for a few reasons. Still has the m54 motor, with only 215 horsepower though, oh well. But it is a 2005 so no electrical issues, has the Blue-tooth and came with brand new tires on sport package wheels. Also has the cold weather package and gets me heated seats. Silver with light gray interior. Car is mechanically clean and has only the smallest of minor blems showing it as a pre-owned car.

Anyway, I thought I would let you know. I made the decision on future repair cost and cost of ownership while my kids are young and my income stagnet. I will pay it off in 2 years tops I hope and the car in my sig with 312K is going to a good home (a co-worker wrenching/buddy).
    Let me know what you buy...-Rob
    see post #12.

that is a great buy you got. i saw a few very good deals, but i was stone set on a 6 spd manual & sports pkg, and they have been hard to find.

My Cars
    535is, 525i, 540iT,650ic
    At this time, no service needed. OIl service just done, cabin filter and air cleaner done. OBC says all green and was just at BMW within the past 60days for that service. I have an invoice for $388 to verify OBC. Tires are new and not Chinese but not Michelins either, still new shoes. Brakes look good. No oil leaks I could see visibly and the oil filter stand and Vanos line are dry! So basically, I get in and drive. I would love a 550i or 535i. But having worked on them the past year, I have been very unhappy with BMW long term ownership engineering. They are designing cars to trade in every 5-6 years and keep paying a monthly payment, with a warranty. A big part of society does that and has no problem with it, but the cars prior to 2003 were much better DIY cars and long term ownership. The m54 e60, gets me where I need to be Financing wise and mechanically long term. The big unknown is tranny and electrical, but hopefully I get lucky. Your idea of a 6-speed manual, avoids a big part of the equation. Good luck with the search. I found mine on eBay, .7 miles from my shop at Sewell Cadillac. It might still be listed?? Keep me posted on your search. -Rob

Just saw post number 12. Great deal. Enjoy!
    Last edited by carnutdallas; 10-27-2011 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost