Thread: Light Control Module

My Cars
    1997 bmw 528i

Light Control Module

My '97 528i had a problem where the right hi beam stayed on. Using forum help I traced it to a problem with the Light Control Module (LCM).

I was happy to find a replacement LCM from a '97 528i that was being parted out. All was well until I read about the red dot that comes on the dash if the replacement LCM is not reprogrammed? Is this true even if the replacement came from similar model or is the coding specific to the VIN number?

I am hoping to fix the high beam problem and don't want to create a new problem....

Thanks!!

My Cars
    98 540i6
    VIN needs to be recoded on the used LCM; however, this can not be done @ the dealer - you will need to find someone that has PAsoft or other necessary means of overwriting the LCM's memory. The mileage doesn't have to match; but, don't plan on selling the car as it will show up if/when the car is scanned.

You could just replace the transistor that went bad. Google it.

My Cars
    1997 528i/5, 1997 528i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmartindrift View Post
    VIN needs to be recoded on the used LCM; however, this can not be done @ the dealer - you will need to find someone that has PAsoft or other necessary means of overwriting the LCM's memory. The mileage doesn't have to match; but, don't plan on selling the car as it will show up if/when the car is scanned.

You could just replace the transistor that went bad. Google it.
    Yes, absolutely right. I replaced my LCM 2 with and LCM 3 and until it was programmed I had a mileage tamper light. Once programmed it went away.

IMO, if you are going to replace your LCM upgrade to a newer version and you will be less likely to need to replace it again. The LCM 3+ models have a much better cooling design and do not get as hot.
    Wade

My Cars
    98 540i6
    LCM IV is what you get when you buy a new unit, unless you find new old stock somewhere.

My Cars
    E39 540i6, f30 328ix
    slightly offtopic question if the OP doesnt mind.

if i were to upgrade to the LCM IV, can i retrofit the auto headlight feature?(i saw the diy so i will be chaning out the dial/switch, etc)

THanks!

My Cars
    98 540i6
    yes, you may need to run some assorted wiring/sensors; but, the LCM III and IV are both capable units.

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    Read this LCM repair:
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209896

Then go to ebay and enter "BTS426L1". You need 2 chips.

My Cars
    2000 BMW/ALPINA B3
    Hi.

Hoping you might be able to help me out.

I have been getting a LCM Control module fault on my 2006 E53 3.0d

I don't have any problems with any lighting - at least that I know of - but I'm a sucker for trying to keep my fault list clean.

So I bought a second hand LCM iv module and installed it today.

I also have Navcoder which I was led to believe would code the used module to my car.

Well, I tried it, but it still has the original VIN that the module was taken from and the tamper light is still on my cluster.

I think the difference between my original mileage and the mileage on the module is close to 100 km - would this have something to do with it?

I thought it was as simple as reading the LCM module, and then coding it in the new vehicle.

I guess not.

Any help greatly appreciated.