Thread: Media Bridge 1500 install

My Cars
    1998 740il

Media Bridge 1500 install

I ordered Media bridge 1500 from Dice last week and after a long delay in shipping it finally arrived. I decided to do a little write up with lots of pics.

The arrival

The directions for the install are very detailed and simple. Everything is plug and play except for wiring in a constant and a ground. I pulled the cover off the Nav in the rear to hook up the DSP adapter. You will loose the CD changer in the install but I have not even owned a Cd in ten years. The adapter connects to the amp via the tiny coax cable. The small three pronged plug with the red wire in the middle from the changer is also connected to the adapter. I tapped into the ground and a switched 12v @ the amp and mounted the adapter in front of my trimble unit.

solder the ground and 12v+ to the amp harness

I mounted the Dsp adapter to the trimble bracket with a small nut and bolt and added a piece of 3m double sided tape to hold it in place

After you have the Dsp adapter installed all the remaining connections are plug and play. The kit comes with a really long cable that connects between the adapter and the Media Bridge itself. I decided to run the cable up next to the Nav harness down by the rear seat heading to the center console.

Here is the cable

I do not have the rear subs any more so I pulled the bottom of the seat and the driver side back seat, popped out the speaker grill and fished it through the trunk and ran it with the Nav harness until the bottom of the seat.

I ran the cable from the bottom of the seat across the driveshaft tunnel to the center console. I removed the side covers of the console, rear vents and cup holder (most cars will have just a filler strip instead of the cup holder.

I made a small slit in the carpet on the driver side of the Center console that would be hidden when the side trim is reinstalled. I then fished the cable from the rear to the slit.

I then removed the armrest in the center console to run the iphone wire to the Media Bridge. I gutted the Phone box to make room for the cable. I saved the ancient circuit board in case E.T. needs it later.

I put the Media Bridge in the storage box below the armrest. I never use this box and normally forget it is there, it is a very accessible spot if I need to remove it for firmware updates...

Here is the center console finished. I will find a dock for my iphone or fab one up later.

Here is everything back together.

I then reconnected the battery and waited for the Nav lights to go off before attempting to test it. It was getting a little dark but so far everything seems to be functional. I paired my iphone via blutooth and made a call to my wife.

The instructions for operation are a little vague and I will play with it some more today. I was able to easily pair the phone. I did not realize it but the media Bridge will play any music on the iphone via Bluetooth with the steering wheel controls. The sound is very impressive. I tried connecting the iphone via USB and a 2g and 3g will not connect but will charge. I connected my 3gs and Media Bridge recognized it and displayed the artist and song title with full control from the steering wheel. It also displays the info on the CCM. I will post some more pics and details later today but overall I very impressed. It was getting dark and I ran into a couple of snags...... the wife was hungry and I was out of juice

My Cars
    98 BMW 740iL
    Very nice project there sir, good write up as well...

My Cars
    9/94 740i, 5/06 X5 4.4i
    Well done!!! :thumbup!
    (9/94, GF61, JPN: M60B40, ZF 5HP30, 3.15:1)
    (5/06, FB53, US: N62B44, ZF GA6HP26Z, 3.46:1)

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    Nice job! (hate your rims though )

Have a technical question, don't send me a PM but post it on the board so others can benefit from it!

Xephius is offline 665 Neighbor of the Beast BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '00 740iL, 01 325xiT
    Very nice, I look forward to upgrading my DICE iPod adapter to the Mediabridge

My Cars
    Too many to list.
    I'd like to see more operation of the iphone and the wheel controls if possible. Do you own a flip video or something? I'm sure we'd all love to see that.

Thanks!
    Nick

My Cars
    E30/E32/F25
    does anyone know why why this wont work for non navi cars? or will it work
    Me E30 87/ 325i + F25 12/ M-Sport + E32 94/ 740i

G/F’s E34 92/ 525iT + F48 18/ X1

My Cars
    1998 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by e30luv318i View Post
    does anyone know why why this wont work for non navi cars? or will it work
    they will work on non navi cars. It can work through the Mid.

Quote Originally Posted by nah2323 View Post
    I'd like to see more operation of the iphone and the wheel controls if possible. Do you own a flip video or something? I'm sure we'd all love to see that.

Thanks!
    Nick
    I will take one tomorrow, about to leave for Oktoberfest. My pics are crappy but I will take some better ones and a video. I always have my iphone on me and I am too lazy to get out the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin NL View Post
    Nice job! (hate your rims though )
    I love them but they are only temporary. I want 32s or LMs
    Last edited by amschnellsten; 09-11-2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    14 F01 750i 14 F10 550i
    Nice...now that Brian has gotten my nav computer working that will be my next Mod.

My Cars
    2001 740i
    Great job! Thanks for sharing.

My Cars
    E30/E32/F25
    No Bluetooth

Make Model Year 7-Series 99-01

Part Number
    MB1000-BMW

Compatible Radios
    16:9 nav only

Limitations
    1, 2

this is what the site says...i mean i cant see why this wouldnt work through the mid, any idea why they would say that?
    Last edited by e30luv318i; 09-12-2010 at 12:27 AM.
    Me E30 87/ 325i + F25 12/ M-Sport + E32 94/ 740i

G/F’s E34 92/ 525iT + F48 18/ X1

My Cars
    1998 740il
    Check out the instructions on there site or you may want to give them a call. In the instructions it tells you how to set the dip switches on the unit to scroll single line text for MID. The only concern I would have would be the radio you may have. It might only work on some of bmw radios.

My Cars
    2000 740i Sport
    If you make a video, do you have a USB flash drive to test that functionality with? I'd be curious to see how easy it is to navigate the folders/songs. While I want to do a carPC, if this works smoothly it would be much less headache heh.

My Cars
    2000 740iL - 07/99
    Nice work!
    Follow me on Instagram @SEVEN40iL