Thread: how to reset airbag light on 98 328i

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i

how to reset airbag light on 98 328i

So I went to the inspection station today, and low and behold I failed just because of that stupid light and got red stickered. I know the airbag works, I had it looked at. Does anyone know how to disable the light so I can bring it back and "pass" inspection?

My Cars
    X3,528i,
    what i did was i took out the bulb and use a black tape to cover the hole..
    there is a diy on this forum about that.
    2000 BMW 528i / Manual Tranny / Sport & Premium package / Xenon headlight / Sport seats / Premium sound / DSC /
    2011 BMW X3

My Cars
    '97 328i/6, '89f150
    if the light is on, the airbag may infact not deploy in the event of a frontal crash. you could do it the ghetto way like mentioned above (i've done it on various other lights so don't think i'm looking down on it as an option) or you could get the actual airbag reset tool. its the Peake tool. shown here now you may think thats a little expensive. but if you went to the dealer for a reset, you'll get charged a minimum of 1 hr labor which goes for about $135 these days, IIRC, and you can use this tool time and time again. you can even charge friends $20 bucks a reset and make you money back QUICK.
    -ducky

My Cars
    1999 323is
    Go to a dealership that works on european imports. Thats what I did last year and he just cut the light off for me free of charge and passed me.

Matter fact, I'm going to see him on Monday since my inspections out this month.

My Cars
    328is, 330cic, 335i
    you need the srs reset tool, its almost always because of your seat belt tensioner. You should be able to reset and have the light stay off for a short period so you can pass. Search the forums ppl rent the tool out.

BradR127 is offline Drip Loop Squad BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '98 M3, '20 A4
    You either need an SRS/airbag light reset tool (e.g. http://peakeresearch.com/srstool.htm) or a more advanced tool/computer that a shop is more likely to have. Unfortunately there are no pedal or paperclip tricks for the airbag light.

My Cars
    Azn Ruxury
    Does anyone have the peake reset tool that they would allow me to borrow or rent for a day.
    I have the yellow labeled tool and would be willing to do a trade also.

Thank you

My Cars
    06 325i, 66 Bug
    The Bavarian Technic tool will reset SRS/Airbag faults as well

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    I have the SIR3 reset tool in the classifieds section, search for Airbag / SRS Light/Service/Oil Reset Tool - all in 1 tool

But if there is a fault, that has to be fixed first, otherwise the light will stay on or will come on again. This toll can only reset, but not read faults.

Maybe someone near you has one, which he could lend you.
    Last edited by shogun; 10-21-2015 at 08:24 PM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Find an indy shop that's been around for at least 20 years. You know the ones who seem to have a lot of different cars out front? They will be your best bet to have the equipment to reset that light and find out what's causing it. this is exactly why I spent less than $50 and got the connectors and software to reset all that stuff in my driveway.

check out the stickies at the top of the Diagnostic Forum if you want to go this route. INPA is a great program.

My Cars
    98 e36, 02 v40
    Went to my independent mechanic to reset my airbag light last couple years, this year another tensioner sensor failed, and resetting didn't work. So, went with the old tape method. I've heard the airbags still deploy, but is that correct? If the airbags didn't deploy, wouldn't that have been a lawsuit by now? It's such a common occurrence...
    Formerly 328i, now 332i : Debadged, Cosmos Black/Black, '99 s52 motor, custom short ram intake with ITG maxogen filter, Dinan springs, Koni adj sports, Rogue Engineering LTW flywheel clutch kit, UUC swaybarbarians, HMS oil pump, Fan Delete mod, Mishimoto alum radiator, UUC UD pullies, upgraded water pump, BBS RK2's w 235-40-17 Yoko S-drives for summer, the Shaahhhk, passport x50, Scorpion cat back exhaust, BSW midrange speakers, Recaro knock-off child safety seats by graco...

My Cars
    2005 E46 M3
    My airbag light is always on because i swapped in vaders from a 95 m3, and the passenger occupancy sensor on my passenger vader seat does not plug into my 1999 328. I took the gauge cluster out myself and removed the bulb behind the red airbag symbol, but this only makes the red airbag light dimmer, and it still appears. I believe that's why the poster from above said to put black tape over the hole behind the airbag light so that no light will show through. I took my car into my shop but they did not have the tools to reset the airbag light since my passenger occupancy sensor can't be plugged in, so i just live with it.

When the passenger occupancy sensor is plugged in, the passenger air bag will only deploy if someone is sitting in the seat. The purpose of the passenger occupancy sensor was to not have the airbag deploy for the passenger side if no one is sitting in the seat, in order to avoid a costly deployment. If the passenger occupancy sensor is faulty or not plugged in, it means the passenger airbag will automatically deploy in an accident regardless if someone is sitting in the seat or not.

There may be a few potential causes for your airbag light.
    Last edited by beem3; 04-27-2011 at 12:30 AM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    This has been answered repeatedly in the past. If you look at service bulletin 720496 youll see it. Its caused by a broken or damaged circuit board in either the drivers side seat belt latch or the passengers side. If you have code 24 its the drivers side if you have fault code 25 its the passenger side, either way it goes into the default mode which is to trigger both bags in the event of an accident.
    IF the system is functioning normally then the seat belt sensors detect if you have a passenger in the car and will turn that bag on or off which would save some money if nobodies on that side then you don't need to trigger the passenger bag.

It affects all models with the ZAE airbag system, e34e36,e38,e31 as of production date 3/94

Service Bulletin Number: 720496
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 10
    Date of Bulletin: 04/1996
    NHTSA Item Number: SB047664
    Year: 1994
    Make: BMW
    Model: 740
    Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:ELECTRONIC CONTROL UNIT
    Summary:
    THE SRS AIRBAG LIGHT COMES ''ON'' AND STAYS ILLUMINATED FOR UP TO TWO MINUTES AFTER STARTING THE VEHICLE. THIS MAY HAPPEN EITHER WITH EVERY START OR SPORADICALLY. THE PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARD IN THE FRONT SAFETY BELT BUCKLE MAY BE BROKEN. THIS CAUSES THE MO BROKEN. THIS CAUSES THE MONITORED RESISTANCE VALUES TO DRIFT UNDER MECHANICAL LOAD.

http://www.allworldauto.com/tsbs/NHT...in_142463.html
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    BMW
    You definitely, can't go wrong with PEAKE Scan Tools...

Unfortunately, they do not currently offer an all in one CEL/SRS tool, they do however have them available separately.

Manufactured specifically for BMWs, Peake scan/reset tools make servicing your BMW cheaper and easier than ever.

The tool easily connects to your diagnostic port in the engine bay and allows you to read any codes for a check engine light as well reset your oil service and inspection light with the push of a button.

Click HERE to order or for more information.

Please let us know if you have any questions! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email.
    Last edited by ECSTuning; 06-03-2013 at 09:58 AM.

My Cars
    1997 328is, 2011 E90 M3
    DO NOT remove the bulb/cover with tape! Or if you do, don't take it back to the shop that rejected you because they'll be looking for it. I just went through the same thing on my 97 328is and my shop told me they look for the light to come on when the key is first switched on and then go out when the car is started. This tells them the bulb is present and the SRS system is working. They fail cars that have airbags but no light ever on the dash. I bought the Peake Research tool and it was quick and easy. Yeah it sucks to pay the $130 but I pulled codes for "supply voltage" and "driver seat belt buckle switch". Cleared the codes, got my sticker, and so far the light stays off (been about 3 days). Now that I own the tool, if the airbag light ever does come back on, I'll be ready!

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by kbking328i View Post
    So I went to the inspection station today, and low and behold I failed just because of that stupid light and got red stickered. I know the airbag works, I had it looked at. Does anyone know how to disable the light so I can bring it back and "pass" inspection?
    If the light is on, there's no way in Hell you can know it works or not. Indeed, the light means that the airbags do not work.

You can remove the airbag light, but part of the safety inspection is that the airbag light comes on before the engine starts, then goes out. If it never comes on, then that is a failure item that kills the inspection.

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    The dealer software in my sig will reset airbag lights, pull codes, program modules, adjust comfort settings, etc... just need a laptop and an OBD cable.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 328 E36
    Bought The Peak SRS tool as suggested by this forum, worked great, took 2 minutes and passed the Texas State inspection. Really worth the $130. Since reset a week ago have not had the light return after 50 miles of driving.

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerPilot328 View Post
    Bought The Peak SRS tool as suggested by this forum, worked great, took 2 minutes and passed the Texas State inspection. Really worth the $130. Since reset a week ago have not had the light return after 50 miles of driving.
    Does Texas really fail inspections for the SRS light being on? I have an inspection coming up and an SRS light that won't go off. If they really do then I guess I'll have to disable it and find out whether or not they'll fail it for an SRS light that doesn't come on.

What's really tragic is that the easiest way for me to disable the light is going to be to disconnect the SRS module and knock out the entire system. Stupid f***ing bureaucrats thinking they can make the world a better place just by enacting bajillions of laws...

My Cars
    98 e36, 02 v40
    I've gotten away with covering my SRS light with tape, last 2 annual MA inspections--but here they're done by independent shops/mechanics. If they know e36's, chances are they'll let it slide if covered by tape. The fix is expensive, and often only temporary--I had mine fixed, only to have it fail again 18 months later--past the part warranty. I'm up for inspection at end of April, so we'll see how it goes this year. It's so arbitrary and stupid. It's not like the airbags won't deploy, therefore it's not a safety issue, so it shouldn't fail for that reason. If I need to I'll get the Peake tool. And, regarding Bimmerpilot328's 50 miles of driving without the light coming back on, did anyone sit in the passenger seat? Assuming that's the side the circuit failure is on, it will likely come back on when someone sits on that side... at least that's been my experience.
    Formerly 328i, now 332i : Debadged, Cosmos Black/Black, '99 s52 motor, custom short ram intake with ITG maxogen filter, Dinan springs, Koni adj sports, Rogue Engineering LTW flywheel clutch kit, UUC swaybarbarians, HMS oil pump, Fan Delete mod, Mishimoto alum radiator, UUC UD pullies, upgraded water pump, BBS RK2's w 235-40-17 Yoko S-drives for summer, the Shaahhhk, passport x50, Scorpion cat back exhaust, BSW midrange speakers, Recaro knock-off child safety seats by graco...

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Ok, so I just got my inspection done with the airbag light on and nobody said anything about it. Of course, one incident is a very small sample size (it was actually no less than 3 incidents at 3 different inspection shops, but that's another story) but I suppose it has restored a tiny fraction of my faith in humanity.