Thread: Car Won't Shift Out of 2nd Gear (Automatic)

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i

Car Won't Shift Out of 2nd Gear (Automatic)

My '97 528i has been getting stuck in 2nd gear for the past few days now. The only way I've been able to get it to shift up is by switching it in and out of sport mode. It runs like normal past 2nd gear, but if I just leave it in drive it refuses to shift by itself.

Any idea what the problem could be? I'd like to take care of it as soon as possible as it's burning my gas like hell. I'd appreciate any input.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    This question comes up often. Step one is to check your tire sizes.

/.randy

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i
    Tire sizes? I don't see how that's related, but then again I didn't come on here because I knew everything.

My tires are fine, my car's had the same tires for half a year now and the problem started just a few weeks ago.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528I
    Have you had any luck resolving this? My 97 528I just started the exact same thing today. Shifts from 1st to 2nd and stays there unless I drop to sport mode 2, then 3 then Drive.

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    Do you guys have an ABS light turned on?

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528I
    Yes, the ABS light is on and the traction control light is on. Reading a few other "ask the mechanic" posts a common recommendation is to change the trans fluid and filter. BMW claims it to be lifetime however I think it is reasonable to think that all fluids will break down eventually. In any case it certainly could not hurt to change the fluid.

My Cars
    '00 540it, '97 B4 TDI
    Highly recommend having the ABS & EGS (transmission) codes read, recorded & erased. Is your speedometer operating normally?

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528I
    Can a OBDII scanner read ABS codes? My scanner picked up a bad O2 sensor yesterday but nothing about the ABS.
    The speedo faltered for about an hour last week then went back to normal. This was prior to the "will not shift" problem.
    Just went for another drive and if I start out in S2 then shift manually to S3 then D it works just fine. Very smooth and tight shifts. For the 1001th time I am wishing I had a lift in the garage instead of jack stands every time I want a look underneath.

My Cars
    '00 540it, '97 B4 TDI
    Quote Originally Posted by spdmon2077 View Post
    Can a OBDII scanner read ABS codes? My scanner picked up a bad O2 sensor yesterday but nothing about the ABS.
    The speedo faltered for about an hour last week then went back to normal. This was prior to the "will not shift" problem.
    Just went for another drive and if I start out in S2 then shift manually to S3 then D it works just fine. Very smooth and tight shifts. For the 1001th time I am wishing I had a lift in the garage instead of jack stands every time I want a look underneath.
    A generic obd2 scanner is not going to be any help I'm afraid. You may have a bad rr wheel speed sensor (on e39's I think it's the right) causing you to lose your vss (vehicle speed sensor signal). That will damn sure throw your egs into limp home mode. Could be a bad abs controller too. Or a couple other things like shift position switch. Need to talk to those controllers & find out what's happening.

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    Quote Originally Posted by spdmon2077 View Post
    Yes, the ABS light is on and the traction control light is on. Reading a few other "ask the mechanic" posts a common recommendation is to change the trans fluid and filter. BMW claims it to be lifetime however I think it is reasonable to think that all fluids will break down eventually. In any case it certainly could not hurt to change the fluid.
    No, no no! Nothing to do with the transmission. Look at your two front ABS sensors. Inspect the cables and try to swap the two sensors and see if it shifts. If it does you just need new sensors. If it still doesn't shift troubleshoot the ABS with a scan tool that can read BMW ASC.

My Cars
    1997 bmw 528i

abs light and traction control light on

Well let me start by saying that i had the same problem few days ago just out of no where. The tcs and abs light was on and the car would only go to second and nothing further unless you manually shift from 2nd to 3rd then to drive. Anyhow i removed the front and rear abs sensors, one at a time by using a 5mm allen wrench and a small deep socket to go over the allen wrench with an extension for leverage. Once the sensor is out clean it off with carburetor cleaner and with a rag,u then clean out the hole or housing the sensor goes in,reinstall. U then do the others the same way, after all sensors are cleaned and everything is back together, once you drive at least a hundred feet the lights should go out and the shifting should be normal. I hope this helps anyone reading this.

My Cars
    any time, any place
    this issue can be caused by ABS issues such as no signal from one of the front sensors, a bad ABS module all together or one of a few transmission issues. A quick scan by a BMW specific diagnostic machine of the ABS and EGS modules will likely point you right to the problem.

I had the same symptoms on both of my 528i cars at one point, on one car it was a drivers front wheel speed sensor. The other was harder to find though, ended up being a damaged harness at the transmission output speed sensor. Where are you located? If you are near Chicago I can have a look at it for you and scan the car.

My Cars
    1997 bmw 528i

re: tcs and abs light

To my dismay the cleaning of the abs sensors worked for about 20 miles then the lights came back on. Thank you Mark for the hospitality but unfortunately I'm in Philadelphia,Pa....I will look into getting it scanned by BMW...Thanks again Mark !

My Cars
    1997 bmw 528i

re: abs an tcs does not shift out of second

After a few months of driving with the abs and tcs light going off and on and the vehicle would not shift out of second gear,the added extra gas i was wasting, i finally ordered one front abs speed sensor for only $26.50 online included shipping resolved my issue....I took the chance of replacing the left front first and sure enough it worked.....

My Cars
    e39 540i
    i have a similar problem, it won't change gear from 2nd only in morning starts ir very cold starts, and i have to put an extra gas to make it change gear, no abs lights and no asc lights, nothing, what could it be?

My Cars
    2000 540i/A
    I had the same problem on my 528. It started doing it along with teh ABS control module failing, and speed sensors failing, and head gasket, and vanos failing all at the same time..My cure was to put it in 1st and rev the hell out of it and shift up like that. Sometimes I would have to shift it up to 3, then back down to 2nd to fix it..Yeah good thing I got rid of it.

My Cars
    1997 bmw 528i

cold morning shift

Idan ! I experience the same thing only if i don't allow my car to warm up but eventually after it does shift , it's fine.... Check to see if there is any leaks from the transmission or even see if it is full...I'm uncertain how to check the level but i'm sure on this forum you can find someone that can tell you...

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i

Response

I know this thread is a bit old.......but I recently purchased a used 97 and just today these exact things happened. I called my local BMW mechanic for advice. First, we had horrible rain last night that I drove in.....his advice, let it dry and see what happens. Second, sensors all around. If it is a moisture problem......any tips on protecting those sensors from moisture?......or not, I do live in Texas. Thanks fir the help guys!

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Flightmedic1 View Post
    If it is a moisture problem......any tips on protecting those sensors from moisture?
    If it is moisture related then it is typically the wiring that is the problem, not the sensor portion itself. Pull each wheel and physically check the wiring for crumbling insulation.

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    I had the similar issue where car wouldn't shift out of 2nd unless I manually shifted it. It was happening usually during or after driving thru heavy rain or snow.
    It turned out to be the failed insulation on selector switch, part #5:

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E3...transm_switch/

Wiring gets damaged and or wiring insulation starts developing cracks, so when it gets wet, it starts causing all sorts of issues.
    It is easy to check this parts once under the car. New one is about $150 or you can try to repair the wiring.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SpeedsterBek; 08-19-2014 at 10:02 PM.
    Lazy Saturday drive in my E34: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzvZgPnOos

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Flightmedic1 View Post
    I know this thread is a bit old.......but I recently purchased a used 97 and just today these exact things happened. I called my local BMW mechanic for advice. First, we had horrible rain last night that I drove in.....his advice, let it dry and see what happens. Second, sensors all around. If it is a moisture problem......any tips on protecting those sensors from moisture?......or not, I do live in Texas. Thanks fir the help guys!
    i got got home after letting car sit all day. Got in, started, drove.....once the transmission went past 2nd, AbS and the other light went off. I will still order 4 new sensors since most preventative maintenance wasn't done.

Thanks guys