Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone heard of the movie "Everybody Loves Whales"?

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8

Anyone heard of the movie "Everybody Loves Whales"?

Well I hadn't until today....

Apparently they are filming most of it here in town. It will star Drew Barrymore, the guy who Plays Jim in the office and some other lady who had a movie that bombed....

I went to the show and shine today and brought the Baur (I was considering taking the M3) and was approached by the transportation manager of the film, He was interested in using my car (among others) as an "oil executive car" to sit in the parking lot for several scenes of this movie. They were specifically looking for 80s cars that oil executives would have driven in the 80s...

Being that the number of high end 80s oil executive type cars in Anchorage is fairly small (most 80s cars are rusted to hell and junkers like my 535i) I should get a call about what the next step is. They start filming in September.

They could use my 535i even though it's a beater as a car parked on a street or something, I'm guessing they need large amounts of 80s cars since the movie takes place in sept 1988.

So wish me luck and lets hope they call me back so my car can be in a big screen movie (even if it's only in the background)
    Would my car be worth more if it had a TV appearance and a movie appearance lol? I did make a background shot in a My Classic car episode a few years ago....

The Frozen Baur (AKA The Frozen Ground) now on Netflix (John Cussack is driving the Omega behind the Baur)

My Cars
    1982 323i Baur & 6 more
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaBimmer View Post
    Would my car be worth more if it had a TV appearance and a movie appearance lol? I did make a background shot in a My Classic car episode a few years ago....
    A TV and movie appearance certainly wouldn't hurt, but.... once National Geographic does your Bimmerfest Odyssey, it may be ... priceless!

So call them already!

I even have a suggestion for the title of the broadcast:

Bimmerquest: A Pacific Coast Odyssey!

That is copyrighted, btw, so don't even THINK about plagiarizing it without forking over some hefty royalties.

Good luck with the nascent movie career!

BTW, I noticed the pic in your signature up there....
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us
    I was returning from visiting family today and I passed this on the side of the road. I had to stop and take a look... then tracked it down online when I got home. It was gorgeous, the pics don't do it justice. Charbel would be salivating all over this one, if he weren't 800 miles, or so, away. I was salivating too, btw. Beautiful. The bigger bimmers are not usually my thing, but... a pristine 5 speed Euro M635CSI? Day um.
    Last edited by tomscat1; 08-01-2010 at 10:13 PM.
    Tom
    SE Connecticut
    1982 323i Baur, 1977 320i (carbed),
    1978 320i (parts)
    1991 325ix 5 speed, 1989 325ix (winter),
    1989 325ic (summer)
    1973 2002 Malaga (with frosting)
    1975 Mercedes W115 300D (The Departed)
    the late 1979 323i Euro (project, Now Departed)

Visit my blog: Baurspotting
    http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/

BWR PWR!

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8
    well I'm in (well the baur is anyway) It'll be sometime in october when they need the car to fill in as an oil executive's car parked in a parking lot.

I think the baur is starting to get overinflated tires, pretty soon it'll demand a full restoration.....

The Frozen Baur (AKA The Frozen Ground) now on Netflix (John Cussack is driving the Omega behind the Baur)

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Great Jeff - just do not over talk the cameo up when you're around the Baur - or it will be wanting things all the time, shampoos, rub outs, grease jobs, the list will just go on and on.......

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8
    I hear you, the baur just got a full rubdown with a buff and a polish before the car show last week, I can here it in the garage complaining about the dust settling on the freshly waxed paint....which led to the movie guy tracking me down

there were three BMWs at the show, that may be close to a record turnout for Bimmers at that show....

I do worry about a october film day, it snows here in october and it's cold, I usually have the car stored for winter by October, I guess not this year lol.

The actual historical event took place in september of 1988 so I guess that is why they are shooting it in Sept/Oct....

Last edited by AlaskaBimmer; 08-05-2010 at 11:51 PM.

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8
    ok today was my first day of the baur being in a movie. (I heard this is a low budget film at 30 million dollars lol)

It looks like so far the baur will be in about 10-15 seconds of the movie lol.
    THe first scene is outside the oil company the Colonel rolls in driving a massaretti biturbo parks next to my car gets out and walks in the door, so it's about a 10 second scene....

then I got to go over to the wedding shot, the colonel just gets married and him and the new wife run throught the bird seed jump in the biturbo and rool away and the baur is parked acroos the street. they shot this in 2 parts, 1st with all the extras by the church doors and then with the line way down the sidewalk next to the car and then they run through that line and get in the car and drive away.

THen they had the wedding part inside the church, I had to stick around a few more hours just in case, I saw Dermont Mulronry (dirty Steve from Young Guns) and Vanessa Shaw (3:10 to yuma) get married about 50 times....then I went home si nce i didn't need to stay.

WHen the main actors were around there was a camera nazi lady yelling at everyone to put the cameras away so I didn't get too many pictures.
    THe frame they were shooting

making sure the frame is right with a few practice runs

The directors chair which he never actually sat in.

the screen they watch what the camera is shooting

The Colonel

the close up shot of him getting out of the car.

wedding scene

untangling the cans behind the car between takes...this was super funny to watch.

THe blushing bride signing stuff, both Vanessa and Dermont were very nice people to chat with while they were standing around waiting.

Last edited by AlaskaBimmer; 10-09-2010 at 09:31 PM.

My Cars
    1982 323i Baur & 6 more
    Very cool, Jeff. You oughta be in pictures!
    Wait. You ARE in pictures! Is there any remuneration in this for you? ... if you don't mind my asking. I know I'd do it for nothing.

Your car will soon be listed on the 'E21s in Film' website. How cool is THAT!

Cheers!
    Tom
    SE Connecticut
    1978 320i (parts)
    1989 325ic (summer)

BWR PWR!

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    How neat is that!
    And is that "Wesely Snipes" in the 5th pic down?
    Tbd

My Cars
    E46 M3 ZCP, Model S P90D
    lol, biturbo.

My Cars
    02 530/5 sport,68 Camaro
    Very COOL Jeff!!!!!!

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8
    lol no not wesley snipes, he owned a 74 huge land yaght caddilac

I do do get paid 2 times once for being there and once for the car, I don't know how much I never asked, I filled out the 2 pieces of paperwork so I can get paid.

I also am doing something on 4th ave. next thursday, and maybe on the 24th as well if it doesn't snow...I don't have snow tires...

They had to get the modern truck removed...They also removed all the stop signs and took down the street sighn as well and put up a temp stop sign, and for the drive away sceen they blocked off all the roads and pulled down the temp stop sign. THey didn't want Dermont to stop there on his way out of the church so they removed that pesky stop sign...
    Last edited by AlaskaBimmer; 10-10-2010 at 12:06 AM.

My Cars
    1982 323i Baur & 6 more
    Two different plates on the Maserati.... one says "Fire...." (pic #2 above) the second says "GRWHALE" (pics at the church).
    Tom
    SE Connecticut
    1978 320i (parts)
    1989 325ic (summer)

BWR PWR!

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8
    yea lol and they had 7 letters too alaska only has 6 on the plates....

I had two different plates as well on my car. on the main car they actually put metal lisence plates on it and pulled off the real plates, on the background cars (like mine) they put on a plastic plate and used doubled sided tape to hold it on.

I have to figure out how to get one of those plates after they get done shooting....they don't have enough plates to individually plate every car for the whole movie so they get recycled scene to scene. The prop guy said it was a low budget movie (only 30 million, a good budget movie is 50+ million according to him) I took that to mean that in most movies you would get to keep them, but they don't have the budget to plate every car uniquely....

I read on face book Drew barrymore stopped by the church today just to say hi, I left too early, I could have stayed until the end since I was already on set even though they were done with me.

I forgot to mention it was 24 degrees when we started in the morning and it only got up to 46 today....Vinessa was a bit chilly running around outside in a short sleeve wedding dress for a couple hours. At least it was sunny, the baur was was topless all day

My morning movie plates:

the biturbo, it got driven about 100 feet 10 times to get this 10 second shot...

prop guy installing my afternoon movie plates:

Last edited by AlaskaBimmer; 10-10-2010 at 01:36 AM.

My Cars
    1982 323i Baur
    Good to know she is topless in the scene. The Baur not Drew.

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Who's the little person standing on top of your car?
    Tbd

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8
    That is a traffic control person standing in the intersection up the hill from my car, nice effect though lol.

They stopped all the traffic while shooting since it would be odd if a Chevy Cobalt rolled by in the background when it is 1988.....

They want me again in Oct 14th as well, They controll all the stuff you see on the screen, people walking down the sidewalk, traffic on the street etc....SO on the 14th they are shooting on 4th ave so I'll either be parked in front of a meter all day or driving up and down 4th ave. all day....I wonder how they are hiding all the digital dispays on the parking meters....

My Cars
    Sexy E21

My Cars
    Sexy E21

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8
    Well I have to report for movie duty at 8:00 am thursday in front of the 4th Ave. Theatre, I'm not sure what I'll be doing but I guess I'll find out when I get there. So far no snow, this will probably be the last time I do this since the risk of snow increases every day....

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8
    Well I spent from 7:30 - 5:00 pm on the set today. This morning the baur was parked on a meter so far down the street from the scene you'll be lucky to see it. But I still may make it on screne the scene this morning was with Drew Barrymore doing a tv interview on the street apparently following a indoor press confrence with a differing opinion. Since I was there I got snagged as an extra, I had to go get my hair done where they gave me a very stylish side part on my hair, then the wardrobe people looked at me and said I looked 80s enough, I was wearing my black coat I got in 1991....

SO the first scene I'm just walking down the sidewalk, I did that about 40 times, IT was also 25 degrees outside too....THe second scene they moved to a different corner for another interview scene, This time I was much closer and after walking with another guy and then we get to the stairs and I go up the stairs and the other guys go left. THey gave me a huge pair of 80s glasses to wear for this scene, you may actually see my ugly mug walking behind Drew....

Then after that we all went over to a hotel and had lunch, Ted Dansen and Dermont Mulroney ate in there with everyone else. Then they did a scene upstairs in a office, and the cars were parked across the street since there were windows in the office.

Then I sat around from 2pm until 5pm when they said the car people and the extras could leave....So I got paid twice today once for the car and once for walking 30 feet at a time for 5 hours and sitting around for four more just in case...

No pictures today, they were much more strict on the camera rule today with the first unit than the second unit was last week.

I did get to chat with Paul the second unit director as we walked from the set to the base camp. They put Polterguist III and Haloween 4 on the Marquis for the 4th ave. Theatre. He was saying something about why they picked those two it had something to do with current crew or directors or something being involved with the Halloween IV and then reminesinng about shooting polterguist 1 and the house and the people living there getting a free pool out of the deal and remodeled house etc...interesting stuff lol.

So overall a fun day, and I don't think I'll be doing anything else for this movie. They now are moving to a restaurant for 3 days and then to the Barrow set, where shiney BMWs will never be found for about 3 weeks and shooting wraps up before thanksgiving.

It was a fun expierence, and I know this won't be the last big movie shot up here although it was the first. They passed a new tax break for movie companies in January and it didn't take long to get a line of people wanting to film here. It's about time they started filming movies about Alaska in Alaska instead of in Canada or Washington.

I think it will be cool to be able to watch the movie and to know what it looked like for a few scenes on the other side of the camera. It will also be cool to actually know all the places they filmed at during the movie. Now I just hope the movie doesn't suck lol.

My Cars
    E21 320i, e39 540i/6
    dude, that's awesome! I'll have to see this movie now just to support the legion. (which I probably wouldn't have otherwise).

Way to represent, man!

'81 320i turbo | t25, 931 CIS, 240hp, 13.92@100mph | 2.2L m10 Turbo Build | My E21 Videos |

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8
    I most likely would not go to this either, but being filmed here I want to see it. They had fake icebergs out in Jewel Lake for three days last week and Drew was in a boat, I live near Jewel Lake, I'm kind of curious to see how that will look. Im also curious to see the scenes I saw filmed it'll be wierd to see it on screen and think I was just to the left of that camera when they filmed that, or I was on the other side of the mirrored glass watching from inside the building.

I hope my big debut as a sidewalk guy makes it into the movie lol although tiring and freezing and repeditive it was actually fun.

My Cars
    '83 320i turbo,'80 320iS
    I hope they pay you millions! for this

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8
    I got paid $100 for the baur and $8.00/hr for sidewalk walking expertise and since i was there more then 8 hours I hear I get overtime for waiting arourd eating junk food off the food table.

My Cars
    80 320i, 87 325 i & is
    I love this. I tell ya, the film industry is so flippin' weird! What fun for you Jeff.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast