Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The EWS I, EWS II delete / bypass and information thread!

My Cars

The EWS I, EWS II delete / bypass and information thread!

After alot of research on the anti-theft system for E36's it has come to my attention that there are many misleading threads on this topic.

For those in the worry that this will inform car thieves how to simply hotwire your car without use of either your EWS 1 car key or your EWS 2 chip coded key.. don't sweat it.. the system is a bit more complex than that.. the OBD2 EWS 2 system simply will NOT allow a "Hot Wire" fix or bypass.. EWS 1 can in a way, and so can OBD1 EWS2 using a very expensive chip.. but it would still add to the headache of trying to steal your car vs. one that has no EWS system at all.

The purpose of this thread is to clear up information that has been dreadfully generalized between "Drive Away Protection System", EWS 1 OBD1, EWS 2 OBD1 and EWS 2 OBD2 systems.
    Do a search on "EWS delete" and you'll see what I mean!
    You have some guys saying, "This is how to delete/bypass the EWS on your car!!" and they only show a wire being snipped or a snipped and jumped wire.. while this may work for HIS CAR with an early EWS system or "Drive Away Protection" system.. it does not mean it's going to work on a later EWS 2 system! And misinformation like that is gonna tick you off if you didnt read on that it wasnt info meant for your car and you cut wires that didnt do squat but cause you more problems.

Also this thread is to help people, like myself, who want to perhaps do an engine swap upgrade.. for example, my '93 325i was not produced with any EWS system... but I may end up swapping in an OBD2 engine.. like an M52 or S52... motors that have EWS2 OBD2 systems.

To begin, I have located this pdf file that appears to be GENUINE BMW service specific literature.

http://www.europeantransmissions.com...0EWS%20BMW.pdf

I would highly recommend to read ALL of that before continuing on with reading the rest of this thread and BEFORE posting comments or asking questions.. I will try to also include it as an attachment at the end of my post.

As you can see, there were several versions of antitheft systems in E36's thru the years.. go to the end of the pdf to see a chart for version/name of the antitheft system and what PRODUCTION years/models had the system install..
    For example, EWS 2 was installed in all E36's from 1/95 until the end of production.

Now this is where alot of confusion happens with EWS 2... you have OBD1 DME's and you have OBD2 DME's... and that pdf doesnt appear to touch base on the two different DME/ECU's used with the same EWS 2 system.
    There is confusing information that what can be done to a OBD1 Bosch 413 DME can be done to the later Siemens MS41.1 DME used in OBD2 cars that CANNOT BE CHIPPED but must be flashed/programmed with Shark Injectors or other specific programming equipment.

I could use some help with the DME information.. it is my understanding that the RED 413 DME is non-EWS.. the SILVER label 413 DME is a EWS DME.. BUT WHICH VERSION of EWS? 1 or 2?
    Or.. were there two versions of the silver label 413? One for EWS 1 and the other for EWS 2?
    Or.. was the red label 413 used with EWS 1 and the silver label 413 was only used with EWS 2?
    And as for the Siemens MS41.1 DME used in OBD2 cars.. it's quite clear that it is EWS 2 only, right? And that DME cannot simply be bypassed like the 413 DME can.

To understand the bypass of the silver 413 DME.. which can have the chip inside it replaced.. there is a Chip you can by for 413 DME's that will do this from Turner Motor Sports:
    http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...ID=413%20D-EWS

basically a plug n play bypass with upgraded specs to advance spark and release the rev limiter more.
    BUT YOU CANNOT USE THIS ON AN OBD2 CAR! Let's get this straight.. LOL!

Now to move on about my conjectured swap of an OBD2 motor into my OBD1 car..
    My steering wheel doesnt have that Antenna Ring installed to detect a chip.
    Evidently there are two ways to go about this if I put an OBD2 engine in my car.
    1. Fork out some cash to have the Siemens MS41.1 DME flashed to ignore/bypass the EWS 2 system... it means I have to physically send the DME in to have it reprogrammed..
    I could use some help on clearing up this info.. and sources of who has the ability to do it.

2. The donor engine M52 or S52 I get.. also comes with the entire EWS 2 system from that car AND the chipped key.. perhaps even an extra key.
    The mechanical part of the key I dont need.. in fact I could literally cut off the part that works in the door locks and toss it away since I wouldnt have any locks that use that part.. what I'm after is the chip inside the key handle..
    I could then splice in an antenna ring sourced elsewhere or somehow take the donor car's ring off the steering column/ ignition tumbler... then simply tape the key against the ring so the EWS 2 system will be able to get the code from it and enable the system to function.
    This method saves me from sending the DME to be flashed.. it's kinda a botched way to go about it, but it would all be tucked away under the dash and out of site.. BUT it allows me to get the system to work and I dont have to change door locks or the ignition lock.
    Here's a link to sorta give you and idea of this workaround
    http://www.drdetailshop.com/doc1060.htm

This is a link to various models of E36 and other BMW schematics/ electrical wiring diagrams for handy reference. (and should be in the FAQ sticky right below the Bentley Link!)

http://wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm

hopefully this can straighten out all the misinformation going on around the EWS systems to properly inform us about what we CAN and CANNOT do with these various systems.
    Please chime in if you have answers to my questions or any extra information. Lets PLEASE try to keep the posts as accurate as possible without conjecture and please read that pdf on how all the EWS systems work before asking question.. it is the most informative source I've found on the subject.
    Attached Files Attached Files

My Cars
    wow.. the e36 forum is alot slower than it use to be a year or so ago...

where's all the e36 guru's? nobody knows much about these systems?

My Cars
    332is, 335i
    very sad. people dont have money to eat alone engine swaps. I however will live in a tent to make shit happen.
    obd1 s52 ftw!

My Cars
    BMW 318i/w M3 engine swap, Jeep YJ Sahara
    I would love to get this issue solved. I have 3 DMEs and have to spend $100 at the stealership every time I want to swap them in. This is costing me a fortune. Is there any programmers that can delete the EWS on my current DMEs?

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Adriano View Post
    I would love to get this issue solved. I have 3 DMEs and have to spend $100 at the stealership every time I want to swap them in. This is costing me a fortune. Is there any programmers that can delete the EWS on my current DMEs?
    love to help.. but you didnt state what year chassis your car is.. and you didnt state what production year the engine came from...

unless I missed it...

My Cars
    2000 e39 540i/6 e36 325I
    one of the guys i know has a 740il 2002 or 2001. his dme burned out the person that was taking care of the car for him said that the dme did not have to be programed they found out the heard way. they had got a used on from the junkyard but the ews had to be programed to that car. i tried to find someone on hear for a while. but no one really stepped up to the job after i contacted then. my boy ended up finding a company out in Canada that you send them your i believe it was the dme and the key to the car. I'm not shore if theres anything else you have to send them. but they sent it back down and it worked. it was cheaper then the dealership and better than the no guaranty they wanted to give for 600 in other words (if it dose not work your just ass't out)

My Cars
    BMW 318i/w M3 engine swap, Jeep YJ Sahara
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    love to help.. but you didnt state what year chassis your car is.. and you didnt state what production year the engine came from...

unless I missed it...
    Sorry about that. 98 M3 EWSII. After more research it seems EWSII is impossible to delete manually and can only be programmed

My Cars
    Sorry about that. 98 M3 EWSII. After more research it seems EWSII is impossible to delete manually and can only be programmed
    that's why I started this thread.. to get the information down so people can understand what they can, or cannot do with EWS systems.

Can you get the chipped key and EWS module from the car the engine came from?

My Cars
    Imola Euro Swap
    Quote Originally Posted by walker7182006 View Post
    one of the guys i know has a 740il 2002 or 2001. his dme burned out the person that was taking care of the car for him said that the dme did not have to be programed they found out the heard way. they had got a used on from the junkyard but the ews had to be programed to that car. i tried to find someone on hear for a while. but no one really stepped up to the job after i contacted then. my boy ended up finding a company out in Canada that you send them your i believe it was the dme and the key to the car. I'm not shore if theres anything else you have to send them. but they sent it back down and it worked. it was cheaper then the dealership and better than the no guaranty they wanted to give for 600 in other words (if it dose not work your just ass't out)
    I can confirm this, the PO of my car only had 1 more key, and it was the last in bmw's system. Sent my dme to RPM motorsport in canada and they aligned my dme with a brand new ews and had it sent back with 4x keys/transponders within 5 working days! now i have 2 master and 2 valet keys, with 6 more to go. I recommend doing business with them. Great customer service, fast shipping and responce!

My Cars
    1995 bmw 325is
    I have a 1995 bmw 325is can I bypass the ews? so much crap out there and I just need a straight answer

My Cars
    86 el camino, 95+98 m3
    I have a 95 m3. I am trying to trouble shoot my cars not starting problem. All the lights turn on headlights dash etc. The check engine light is on too. My door locks work the car just won't turn over. If I get the computer scanned would it tell me what's up? Any help appreciated.

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    Correct, and very old news.

My Cars
    318i 1995
    Hi everybody,
    I bought two months ago a e36 318i BMW December 1995, 185.084km, with no key and stopped since 8 months.
    Bought a basic key from BMW dealer (60 €uros), put a new battery and the car started and worked fine for ten meters and stopped, no more gasoline, added 20 litters of gasoline, worked very nicely, everything seemed to be perfect, but after a few minutes, all the gasoline was on the floor (in a public parking)!!
    Towed the car out of the parking to fix it, was simply the hose at the gas pump badly fixed (great conception and job bmw), fixed it correctly and nothing...
    BMW dealer told me that it was the ews that got on security, that I had to take the car to them and give them 250 €uros to fix it with their computer, they were very arrogant, pretencious and unfriendly, laughing at me telling me that I have no other choice than giving them 250 euros....No way, they can wait, I prefer to burn the car than do that.
    That's 2 months I'm working on that to find a simple solution to get away with that ews, there was a 4 stars sra alarm that I removed (so it may be worth now), asked help to rpmotorsport@live.com, they say they can help.... for 499 canadian $, fine, but it is more than the value of the car, so I'm looking for something cheaper and want to have no more ews at all in my car.
    It may also not be only ews, when the car was working, km was displayed on dashboard and not anymore now, an other dealer told me that it may be a dashboard breakdown (700 €uros the part alone) and that this kind of breakdown can stop the engine too.
    Has anybody an idea to help, cannot keep the car if not running because of space, tried to sell it at 400 €uros on ebay and nobody wanted it, a guy is coming to see it and may buy it for peanuts after tomorrow (tuesday).
    VIN: WBACA91020KA20669 (DECEMBER 1995)
    DME: 1 432 060
    EWS: BMW 61.35-8 362 277

MY NEXT CAR WILL BE 20 YEARS OLD, with no computer!!
    some pictures there: (couldn't insert picture so there is a link)
    http://picasaweb.google.fr/lh/sredir?uname=pirtskhalava1&target=ALBUM&id=5502756 771205131601&authkey=Gv1sRgCOm5s93H7uX0UA&feat=ema il
    Thanks, Philippe

My Cars
    '96 323i w/ 2.8
    I have a 96' 323i that originally came with EWS II but for some reason the EWS protection doesn't work anymore since the previous owner installed an aftermarket alarm.
    It seems the installer knew what they were deleting as the master key that I got with the car had been gutted of the light and transponder chip inside it.
    I'll try do some more digging to find out what exactly they've done to bypass the ews.

My Cars
    88 E30 M3 /95 avus m3

Ews

Seeker If you are swaping the s52 into your 93 you would be better off just converting the s52 to obd1 you have everything you need on your m50 you will just need to get a chip from AA just a thought (great thread BTW)
    S52 Wisco/trm pistons eagle rods top mount 6266 (etc) (etc) zionsville fatboy radiator VDP oil cooler setup
    obd1conversion baffled oil pan push/pull eletricfans m50manifold CAI JB lightweight flywheel VACsolid motor trans TMSsolid diff subframe mounts tc-kline/koni adj rear shocks tc#550rear springs tc#600front springs tc ride height adj tc/koni adj coilovers tc monoball camberplates tc monoball shock mounts tc monoball RTAB TMS monoball adj rear control arms TMSmonoball upper inner CAB tc derlin frontCAB 323 lsd uuc evo3 SSK 18" RD sport RS2

My Cars
    53 truck
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    After alot of research on the anti-theft system for E36's it has come to my attention that there are many misleading threads on this topic.

For those in the worry that this will inform car thieves how to simply hotwire your car without use of either your EWS 1 car key or your EWS 2 chip coded key.. don't sweat it.. the system is a bit more complex than that.. the OBD2 EWS 2 system simply will NOT allow a "Hot Wire" fix or bypass.. EWS 1 can in a way, and so can OBD1 EWS2 using a very expensive chip.. but it would still add to the headache of trying to steal your car vs. one that has no EWS system at all.

The purpose of this thread is to clear up information that has been dreadfully generalized between "Drive Away Protection System", EWS 1 OBD1, EWS 2 OBD1 and EWS 2 OBD2 systems.
    Do a search on "EWS delete" and you'll see what I mean!
    You have some guys saying, "This is how to delete/bypass the EWS on your car!!" and they only show a wire being snipped or a snipped and jumped wire.. while this may work for HIS CAR with an early EWS system or "Drive Away Protection" system.. it does not mean it's going to work on a later EWS 2 system! And misinformation like that is gonna tick you off if you didnt read on that it wasnt info meant for your car and you cut wires that didnt do squat but cause you more problems.

Also this thread is to help people, like myself, who want to perhaps do an engine swap upgrade.. for example, my '93 325i was not produced with any EWS system... but I may end up swapping in an OBD2 engine.. like an M52 or S52... motors that have EWS2 OBD2 systems.

To begin, I have located this pdf file that appears to be GENUINE BMW service specific literature.

http://www.europeantransmissions.com...0EWS%20BMW.pdf

I would highly recommend to read ALL of that before continuing on with reading the rest of this thread and BEFORE posting comments or asking questions.. I will try to also include it as an attachment at the end of my post.

As you can see, there were several versions of antitheft systems in E36's thru the years.. go to the end of the pdf to see a chart for version/name of the antitheft system and what PRODUCTION years/models had the system install..
    For example, EWS 2 was installed in all E36's from 1/95 until the end of production.

Now this is where alot of confusion happens with EWS 2... you have OBD1 DME's and you have OBD2 DME's... and that pdf doesnt appear to touch base on the two different DME/ECU's used with the same EWS 2 system.
    There is confusing information that what can be done to a OBD1 Bosch 413 DME can be done to the later Siemens MS41.1 DME used in OBD2 cars that CANNOT BE CHIPPED but must be flashed/programmed with Shark Injectors or other specific programming equipment.

I could use some help with the DME information.. it is my understanding that the RED 413 DME is non-EWS.. the SILVER label 413 DME is a EWS DME.. BUT WHICH VERSION of EWS? 1 or 2?
    Or.. were there two versions of the silver label 413? One for EWS 1 and the other for EWS 2?
    Or.. was the red label 413 used with EWS 1 and the silver label 413 was only used with EWS 2?
    And as for the Siemens MS41.1 DME used in OBD2 cars.. it's quite clear that it is EWS 2 only, right? And that DME cannot simply be bypassed like the 413 DME can.

To understand the bypass of the silver 413 DME.. which can have the chip inside it replaced.. there is a Chip you can by for 413 DME's that will do this from Turner Motor Sports:
    http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...ID=413%20D-EWS

basically a plug n play bypass with upgraded specs to advance spark and release the rev limiter more.
    BUT YOU CANNOT USE THIS ON AN OBD2 CAR! Let's get this straight.. LOL!

Now to move on about my conjectured swap of an OBD2 motor into my OBD1 car..
    My steering wheel doesnt have that Antenna Ring installed to detect a chip.
    Evidently there are two ways to go about this if I put an OBD2 engine in my car.
    1. Fork out some cash to have the Siemens MS41.1 DME flashed to ignore/bypass the EWS 2 system... it means I have to physically send the DME in to have it reprogrammed..
    I could use some help on clearing up this info.. and sources of who has the ability to do it.

2. The donor engine M52 or S52 I get.. also comes with the entire EWS 2 system from that car AND the chipped key.. perhaps even an extra key.
    The mechanical part of the key I dont need.. in fact I could literally cut off the part that works in the door locks and toss it away since I wouldnt have any locks that use that part.. what I'm after is the chip inside the key handle..
    I could then splice in an antenna ring sourced elsewhere or somehow take the donor car's ring off the steering column/ ignition tumbler... then simply tape the key against the ring so the EWS 2 system will be able to get the code from it and enable the system to function.
    This method saves me from sending the DME to be flashed.. it's kinda a botched way to go about it, but it would all be tucked away under the dash and out of site.. BUT it allows me to get the system to work and I dont have to change door locks or the ignition lock.
    Here's a link to sorta give you and idea of this workaround
    http://www.drdetailshop.com/doc1060.htm

This is a link to various models of E36 and other BMW schematics/ electrical wiring diagrams for handy reference. (and should be in the FAQ sticky right below the Bentley Link!)

http://wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm

hopefully this can straighten out all the misinformation going on around the EWS systems to properly inform us about what we CAN and CANNOT do with these various systems.
    Please chime in if you have answers to my questions or any extra information. Lets PLEASE try to keep the posts as accurate as possible without conjecture and please read that pdf on how all the EWS systems work before asking question.. it is the most informative source I've found on the subject.
    I have a 96 328is it only came with one key. The previous owner said he replaced the ignition thats all he had.... Its different from the door locks and trunk, So I bought a UAS plug and play alarm that lock and unlocks the car. It came with 2 flip keys which I got cut to work in the ignition. Now my question is "Can I remove the chip from the key and the transponer ring off the ignation and relocate them inside the dash or do I need to add an extra ring etc?

No I don't want to go to the dealer like everyone keeps saying. Nor do i know what the replacement come out of so couldn't order it if i wanted too. I just want to relocate the chip. Or if someone knows how i can get a replacement chip in socal programmed from using my chip to give me extra chips for the keys they may work too
    Last edited by hennebury; 09-08-2010 at 02:40 PM.

My Cars
    07 335i and 92 318is

Exclamation

So what is the correct way to delete the EWS I? I have it in my 09/94 318i and there is really only little info on it. I heard snip the green wire in the #7 pin at the engine harness, but I dont know if this is for the M42 or just the M50. I cant find much on the delete of the EWS I system anywhere.

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Quote Originally Posted by hennebury View Post
    I have a 96 328is it only came with one key. The previous owner said he replaced the ignition thats all he had.... Its different from the door locks and trunk, So I bought a UAS plug and play alarm that lock and unlocks the car. It came with 2 flip keys which I got cut to work in the ignition. Now my question is "Can I remove the chip from the key and the transponer ring off the ignation and relocate them inside the dash or do I need to add an extra ring etc?

No I don't want to go to the dealer like everyone keeps saying. Nor do i know what the replacement come out of so couldn't order it if i wanted too. I just want to relocate the chip. Or if someone knows how i can get a replacement chip in socal programmed from using my chip to give me extra chips for the keys they may work too
    Yes, you can just do as you said -- although now someone could steal your car much easier by hotwiring it since the chip is no longer with the key.

1999 ///M3 TiAg | Heated Power Vaders | DDM Projector36 5000K 55W HIDs | DDM 3000K 35W HID Fogs
    DDM Smoked Corners | DDM Weighted Shift Knob | K&N CAI | Mishimoto AL Rad w/Zionsville AL Shroud
    Stewart HiPo Water Pump | Samco Hose Kit | 16" SPAL Puller Fan | Viper 5701LE Security
    E36 OBC is now open! Join the effort: BF.C Thread | openOBC Wiki

My Cars
    91 mitsubishi eclipse gsx, 95 bmw 325i
    Sooo... was this thread created so we can figure out how to eliminate the ews system?? and what is everyone elses reason for eliminating there system? I want to do it because my car wont start.

i have a 92 harness sitting out and a 95 in the 92 car, i was wondering if 92 even has EWS??? I see a relay for the wires to go to start the car so im thinking that i just have to install the relay and my car will work with EWS eliminated!!
    Last edited by pj95bmw; 09-20-2010 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1998 BMW e38
    huge problem with EWS II if I read corectly, I have a e30 till recently I was verry happy with my m40 engine till my belt snaped, so I decided to chang the engine wit a m43 of a 1996 e36, monted the engine done the basic wireing for engine start, only thing is I'm getting my engine to crank, but I dont have spark I, all the BMW mechanics I asked said its the ews how can I cancel or hotwire the thing I got the engine only with the engine wire harness and DME/ECU (Bosch 0 261 203 661)

My Cars
    74 tii, 93 M5 x2
    Get yourselfd INPA or EDIABAS and re-align the ECU's yourself. I have not really investigated how to remove EWS from the E36 M3, but can do it for some othe cars such as the 95 325i/m3, Euro S50B32, USA 328i (MS41) and soon for the S54. I've figured out how to do the S54 about 10 months back but it's complicated to actually implement it.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 850i
    I own a 2002 BMW 325i which has the EWS. I own a 1992 850i which does not. I also own a 1976 Trans Am and 1981 DeLorean also no EWS, actually those 2 cars have no computers in them, or limited. So, my 325i breaks down, of course with all the computer controls in it I can not fix it. Have it towed to my mechanic, he can't fix it because of the priority with the EWS, ONLY a BMW dealer. So, this is my last BMW, actually probably my last car newer than 1980's. No more friggin computer cars for me, sucks. And I am in IT and depend on computers for a living, NO MORE. Computers taking over our cars is too much, simplier is better.

My Cars
    74 tii, 93 M5 x2
    Maybe you should just ride a bicycle instead and you won't even have to put gas in it.

My Cars
    1998 e36
    Straight answer to the original poster:

How to eliminate (1995) EWS1?

EWS1 that comes on 1995 BMW cars can simply be removed by getting the non EWS ECU or eprom and installing it in your EWS1 car. For example you got 1995 M3 with silver 413 ecu, to eliminate the EWS simply get a 506 ecu with brown label from late 1994 production M3. If you got 325i with EWS then just get red label 413, install and enjoy.

How to eliminate (1996-1999) EWS2?

You could do this with a $40 flashing tool and all other information is free on internet, it requires you to download your original flash, modding the flash software, and burning it back into your DME ecu. Even if I wrote step by step procedure how to do it, even with video, it will be complicated to do for person who never worked with computer HEX code language. This requires working with raw HEX code and recalculating checksum, it is not that hard to do but most people don't even know how to find a OBD2 connector on the car so I don't even want to waste my time. I tried to post information on OBD1 ecu modding for free but people like MarkD and other basement ecu tuners cry to moderation to ban me
    Last edited by hakentt; 02-04-2012 at 02:11 AM.

My Cars
    '99 M3
    Just to verify, the above implies that if a 99 e36 M3 cranks then the OBD2 ews2 system is, in fact, aligned with the DME. Is that correct?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Tom R; 03-12-2012 at 07:11 PM.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast