Thread: Car will not shift into PARK

My Cars
    1997 Bmw M3

Car will not shift into PARK

Hey guys my auto m3 will not shift into park, it will go into all other gears, however it feels like something is in the way when you go to shift into park

Also I cannot get my keys out.... '

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Kiprugod; 06-10-2010 at 12:18 AM.
    1997 Hellrot m3/4
    K and N CAI ( I know stereotypical first mod, but I got it f r e e )
    Conforti Chip
    M50 manifold

My Cars
    99 M3
    well I'll let the next guy throw the auto m3 joke in. I would check for the simplest thing first and make sure there isn't a penny or some other junk stuck in there if it feels like something is blocking it.

My Cars
    E36M3/4 E39T&E61 E39M5
    Nothing funny about an auto M3... Still an M car without the Anger in gridlocked city driving...lol

My Cars
    1997 Bmw M3
    Quote Originally Posted by rickadootrd View Post
    Nothing funny about an auto M3... Still an M car without the Anger in gridlocked city driving...lol

haha lets not make this a debate

I will look in there first thing in the AM and give you guys an update

Thats 2 people now that think its change stuck in there
    1997 Hellrot m3/4
    Conforti Chip
    M50 manifold

My Cars
    99 M3
    Let us know how much change it is ...

My Cars
    1989 Geo Metro
    Pull the cover off and see if the solenoid is in the way...

My Cars
    1997 Bmw M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Volfinator View Post
    Pull the cover off and see if the solenoid is in the way...
    I really dont know what I am looking for, how do I remove the shifter knob so i can completely take the cover off?

When I look in I can see the shifer , metal guide that it shifts into...to the right of that is a yellow covered something(ugh) is that the solenoid?

I would take better pictures I just cant take cover totally off.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1997 Hellrot m3/4
    Conforti Chip
    M50 manifold

My Cars
    1989 Geo Metro
    Not sure how to "properly" remove the auto gear shifter. When I swapped to a manual tranny I just ripped it off. The solenoid is large brass cylinder looking thing. I'm not sure exactly how it works either. I know it keeps you from shifting into reverse when you're going down the road but other than that I'm uncertain. Maybe its stuck? But then you wouldn't be able to get into reverse either... I'm not sure. Just a thought man. Another thing you could try is to get under the car and take the shift linkage cable off the gear selector lever on the tranny and manipulate the lever by hand. If you can shift it into park by hand then you'll know the problem is in the linkages/shifter. If you still can't get it into park then its probably the transmission. It may also be an electronic issue with the tranny controller. Unplug the positive cable from the battery for about an hour (maybe clean your car, looks kinda dirty dude!) and then reconnect it (hard reset of electronics) and see if you can shift it then.

That's about all I can think of...
    Last edited by Volf; 06-10-2010 at 02:46 PM.

My Cars
    1997 Bmw M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Volfinator View Post
    Not sure how to "properly" remove the auto gear shifter. When I swapped to a manual tranny I just ripped it off. The solenoid is large brass cylinder looking thing. I'm not sure exactly how it works either. I know it keeps you from shifting into reverse when you're going down the road but other than that I'm uncertain. Maybe its stuck? But then you wouldn't be able to get into reverse either... I'm not sure. Just a thought man. Another thing you could try is to get under the car and take the shift linkage cable off the gear selector lever on the tranny and manipulate the lever by hand. If you can shift it into park by hand then you'll know the problem is in the linkages/shifter. If you still can't get it into park then its probably the transmission. It may also be an electronic issue with the tranny controller. Unplug the positive cable from the battery for about an hour (maybe clean your car, looks kinda dirty dude!) and then reconnect it (hard reset of electronics) and see if you can shift it then.

that's about all I can think of...

As of this morning I wasnt able to shift into reverse, so maybe it is the solenoid, I will look at it and give you an update in a few hours

As for the car I know it is dirty now haha...good call!
    1997 Hellrot m3/4
    Conforti Chip
    M50 manifold

My Cars
    1997 Bmw M3
    Alright guys so I got the shift knob removed, took the cover off and snapped some pictures

The pictures of where I am pointing with my finger are where I think the problem may be, the first one is my pointing between the yellow thing and the shifter there is a coin at the bottom of that laying flat not sure if its impeding but I wil remove

The second picture in which I am pointing is the rod that moves in and out depending what gear I am in, it doesnt seem to be going in all the way when i got put it in reverse or park

The other pics are just general area pictures if you guys wanna point anything out

This sucks..
    1997 Hellrot m3/4
    Conforti Chip
    M50 manifold

My Cars
    330ci, 2013AcuraTL AWD
    Mine won't shift it to park..... Oh wait I don't have a park mine is 5speed.

Ok there was a joke

now go under your car and disconect the shifting cabel from tranny and see if you can shift the pice on the trany ( don't forget to set e break) it will shift without staping on break pedal, if it shift fine
    than you know your trans is ok. So you can sleep beter at night knowing it's not your trans.

My Cars
    1989 Geo Metro
    Quote Originally Posted by kryatov123 View Post

Ok there was a joke

now go under your car and disconect the shifting cabel from tranny and see if you can shift the pice on the trany ( don't forget to set e break) it will shift without staping on break pedal, if it shift fine
    than you know your trans is ok. So you can sleep beter at night knowing it's not your trans.

My Cars
    1997 Bmw M3
    Quote Originally Posted by kryatov123 View Post

Ok there was a joke

Ok so is the cable on the side of the tranny, and once disconnected how do you shift it into park>?
    1997 Hellrot m3/4
    Conforti Chip
    M50 manifold

My Cars
    97 M3/4 2001 SVT Lightin
    its possible that your shift lock control solenoid control may have died or blown a fuse.
    I wish had a scanner to scan ELE- 110and gearshift linkage 250-3-5 in the bentley.
    BFC O.T. Weekday drunks club Member#17

My Cars
    1997 Bmw M3
    Got and update for you guys

Turns out it was my shifter cable(or at least I think thats what the part is called) It was destroyed on one end metal looked almost chewed up not sure if cable broke at a weak point or if it was attached to something and broke off

Going by real oem it might be interlock cable #9
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...20&hg=25&fg=15

Its what I am pointing to in the picture

You guys have any idea on the install on this? Gonna tackle it real soon
    1997 Hellrot m3/4
    Conforti Chip
    M50 manifold

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    I have a question for you... HOW THE HELL DID YOU REMOVE THE KNOB?! I can't get mine off...

My Cars
    1989 Geo Metro
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiprugod View Post
    Got and update for you guys

Turns out it was my shifter cable(or at least I think thats what the part is called) It was destroyed on one end metal looked almost chewed up not sure if cable broke at a weak point or if it was attached to something and broke off

Going by real oem it might be interlock cable #9
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...20&hg=25&fg=15

Its what I am pointing to in the picture

You guys have any idea on the install on this? Gonna tackle it real soon

Interlock cable goes to the ignition and keeps the car from being turned on unless it is in park. #12 goes to the tranny.
    Last edited by Volf; 06-14-2010 at 09:47 PM.