Thread: Fuel pump relay location

My Cars
    BMW Z3 M Coupe -99 (euro)

Fuel pump relay location

Hi!

I'm trying to find fuel pump relay location. BMW electrical troubleshooting manual says that it is under left hand side of dash, there should be relay carrier with fuel pump relay. Is this correct for M Coupes too? Mine is european but in my understanding the relay and relay carrier locations are identical to s52 us model.

Thanks!

UPDATE: Link to manual:
    http://www.wedophones.com/Manuals/BM...g%20Manual.pdf
    Last edited by MrMicko; 05-06-2010 at 02:47 PM.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    Correct
    LH side under dash. 3 relays in a holder. They are a pain to get to.

And for those who do not have the electrical manual, down load the link that Micko was kind enough to provide. It will answer all your questions electrical related. The search function works well in my version. Hopefully it does in this one as well. Even if you don't have a 99, the harnesses did not change a great deal over the run so other years will benefit as well.
    Last edited by PbFut; 05-06-2010 at 10:03 PM.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3 Roadster
    I recently had to sought out my Z3's fuel pump relay too, and thanks to the links posted here was able to find it quickly and easily.
    After locating it, I swapped it out from a relay from within the fuse cluster under the hood as a quick fix. Wow, what an amazing difference it made throughout the entire driving experience, I couldn't believe I'd driven for so long with a faulty fuel pump relay.
    Well, it turns out a week later any high speed driving became hesitant and unsure when accelerating or just maintaining a speed. I had unluckily decided on swapping out the 'High Speed' relay and had put the faulty one in it's place. Waiting for the mail ordered relay was taking time (not to mention way overpriced) so I decided to see if I could re-condition all the relays.
    Turns out you can, and it's very easy. Gently pry open the relay cover, then gently release the SS spring latch which gives access to the contacts, which in my case were black and dirty (tits). I used an exacto blade and metal cleaner (Rust Stain Remover - Whink, Walmart) and shone the contacts like new, re-assembled the SS spring latch and put the casing back on.
    I was amazed, the amount of electrical issues that got cleared up due to that, was awesome. It is why I had to write this.
    So, either replace all your relays if your BMW is getting on, (mines 10yrs) or re-condition your relays. It's quick, easy and so worth it.
    Last edited by ZuluMcLaing; 10-30-2011 at 04:02 AM.

My Cars
    Z3 coupe, 15 golf tdi
    In the 01-02' Z3 M Models the fuel pump control module is behind the e-brake in the center console.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 Roadster
    I know this is an old thread... but I have a 1997 Z3 1.9 and looking for the same fuel pump relay. I pulled the cover off the lower part of the dash above the pedals and I dont see any relays there. Anyone know where mine might be? I turn the key on and dont hear any pump running. I wanted to bypass the relay and test the pump.

My Cars
    1997 Boston Green Z3
    Look as far to the left as you can under the dash on the drivers side. Just above/behind the kick panel by your left foot. You should see 2 or 3 relays. The fuel pump should be light green if I remember correctly.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 Roadster
    Thanks Green97. I finally see them. Looks like to really get at them I need to take more of the dash off. The part under the steering wheel. I cant even see all the relays but I can feel them. Hard to test what I cant see!!!

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by lsa0628 View Post
    ... to really get at them I need to take more of the dash off. The part under the steering wheel...
    If you are removing the panel over the pedals as well as the under dash panel, you might like to continue on to replace the clutch pedal bushing, if your pedal is at all stiff, wiggly or squeaky.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...2#post26773502
    http://e36diy.com/bmw-e36-328-325-31...all-guide-diy/

My Cars
    1996 BMW Z3
    anyone have any insight on fuel pump relay for 96 BMW Z3? i checked under LH side of dash and the 3 relays were bright lights, crash something, and the third was blue and when i unplugged it it killed the power windows.... cant find the relay anywhere!!!

- - - Updated - - -

and didnt find any relays behind glovebox its a mystery here

My Cars
    96 318ti
    its a fuse box, under the hood on the passenger side by the DME. there should be 3 relays. 2 of them look the same... one is the fuel pump.....i think the lower one (closest to the bumper) is the fuel

Quote Originally Posted by jnorris0147 View Post
    anyone have any insight on fuel pump relay for 96 BMW Z3? i checked under LH side of dash and the 3 relays were bright lights, crash something, and the third was blue and when i unplugged it it killed the power windows.... cant find the relay anywhere!!!
    - - - Updated - - -

i found this thread in search: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2146293-DME-Relay-location-Z3-1-9L-1997&highlight=fuel+pump+relay

- - - Updated - - -

i found this thread in search: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2146293-DME-Relay-location-Z3-1-9L-1997&highlight=fuel+pump+relay
    DIY 96Z3 (M44): Drive Belts, Starter, H2O Pump
    DIY 00ZM (S52): Gauges: clock, battery, oil

My Cars
    Z3 1.9
    try checking inside the black plastic housing where the DME (aka ECU) is located. It's next to the car battery. There are 3 screws holding the cover.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    On a 1996 1.9 which has battery under the hood, the fuel pump relay is in a black plastic box next to the battery, per Post # 11.
    On a 1997 1.9 and all others which have battery in the trunk, the relay is behind the kick panel, per Post #6.
    Except the M where it's in the console.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405