Thread: shocks and struts replacement cost

My Cars
    2001 BMW 525i 5speed

shocks and struts replacement cost

Just got my car checked out at a local bimmer shop and they quoted me 892.00 for front and rear shock and strut replacement and alignment. What do you guys think about that price, seems a little high to me. by the way thats just labor, parts are gonna run me another 1000 from their pricing. so in total 1892. let me get some input

My Cars
    2000 540i
    Seems high to me. I paid $1200 for front and rear installation of a Sachs Performance Suspension kit about eighteen months ago--parts and labor total, including replacement of all the associated accessories (not just the shocks/struts).

My Cars
    2001 BMW 525i 5speed
    wow big difference...what about a local shop like goodyear or pepboys, anyone have any experience with them?

how about monroe shocks...called pepboys and they said that they can do the fronts for 59.99 each, really cheap, he recommended monroe even though they are not as good as factory or bilstein, they have lifetime warranty, so i can keep getting them replaced and only pay labor. Does anyone have any experience with monroes? pepboys said they wanted 450 for labor for the rears, still pricey compared to the fronts.
    Last edited by mesallem; 05-01-2010 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2002 530 Sport
    Without parts thats a bit high. I had mine done by an independent mechanice for 250 for all you've listed plus motor/transmission mounts and tie rods.

I would say a good deal for labor cost would be at about $400-500.
    400 Hp not enough? Just press the button!!

My Cars
    1982 320is
    Quote Originally Posted by mesallem View Post
    wow big difference...what about a local shop like goodyear or pepboys, anyone have any experience with them?

how about monroe shocks...called pepboys and they said that they can do the fronts for 59.99 each, really cheap, he recommended monroe even though they are not as good as factory or bilstein, they have lifetime warranty, so i can keep getting them replaced and only pay labor. Does anyone have any experience with monroes? pepboys said they wanted 450 for labor for the rears, still pricey compared to the fronts.
    i have monroes,after about 6 mos they were as wore or worer than my factories i replaced and now i am going with the bilstiens,thats what i wish i had done in the first place it would have saved me 200 + bucks, by the way you can replace both front and rears yourself,there are several diy about the procedure,the rears took the longest around 3 to 4 hrs the fronts are way easier and takes about 1 to 1 1/2 hrs to replace

My Cars
    2001 BMW 525i 5speed
    ok i think im going to go with bilsteins...i have h&r sport springs right now, i dont want a really bumpy ride...should i go with the hd or sports? i want to get as close to oem as possible as in ride comfort. is there another brand i should be looking at?

My Cars
    '98 528i 98k 5-SPP
    If you don't want a bumpy ride, then bypass the Bilsteins (better suited for street/track) and either switch back to OEM sport struts or the Koni Yellow SPorts. THe Koni Yellow sports is what I replaced my 12 yr old oem sports damper with, and I must say, they valved this damper spot on to mirror the OEM specs. Very comfortable, yet sporty, just like OEM. Not a trace of harshness anywhere along the full stroke. The harder I push, the sportier it feels. If there's one thing I'd like to dial out, it'd be a bit less body roll, but that has more to do w/ sway bar and bushings than with dampers.

My Cars
    00 323it, 01 540, 06 x5
    Quote Originally Posted by DHoang View Post
    If you don't want a bumpy ride, then bypass the Bilsteins (better suited for street/track) and either switch back to OEM sport struts or the Koni Yellow SPorts. THe Koni Yellow sports is what I replaced my 12 yr old oem sports damper with, and I must say, they valved this damper spot on to mirror the OEM specs. Very comfortable, yet sporty, just like OEM. Not a trace of harshness anywhere along the full stroke. The harder I push, the sportier it feels. If there's one thing I'd like to dial out, it'd be a bit less body roll, but that has more to do w/ sway bar and bushings than with dampers.

+1

My Cars
    2000 540i
    If you don't want a bumpy ride, then bypass the Bilsteins (better suited for street/track) and either switch back to OEM sport struts or the Koni Yellow SPorts.
    I agree--I didn't want my car to ride like an ox cart over cobblestone, so I went with the Sachs/OEM kit.

My Cars
    '01 530iA, '05 750Li
    I just got a set of Koni's sport, and while your at it, I guess you haven't got a quote for bump stops, dust covers, and mostly strut/shock mounts...

Its important to replace those listed parts as it is only cost effective to get it done then....

I suggest Koni's, they are comparable to stock prices, sometimes even cheaper....

My Cars
    2001 BMW 525i 5speed
    i should go with oem/sachs even with the H&R sport springs?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 525i 5speed

which oem

can i go with sport package struts on my non sport package car? is that possible? is it gonna lower it anymore than it already is?

bump

bump can anyone answer my question?

bump
    Last edited by mesallem; 05-04-2010 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    330i