Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: just bought my first E24! Turbo!

My Cars
    02 BMW M5 66 Fairlane GT

T minus 18 hours and counting

Good Stuff!

Bentsdl Those "wires" may be required as part of the turbo / cooling /emissions management system. Just a thought...maybe some other members could elaborate. Also, the seller posted a picture of a large brass looking blow off valve in the last ebay auction.

Rem 83 The seller has had the car for sale on Craigslist, ebay, and Collector Car. Same information on all sites.

PRJKTGRMN I just spoke with BMW of Austin, and they said the car was imported and the "in service" date were both January 18th, 1979. They did not have information regarding the port of entry or the original selling dealership.

I am headed down to San Anotonio in the AM. Will take my camera

My Cars
    '85 323i, '88 E24
    my grey-market 323i has an importation sticker in the door frame. decent idea to look for something like that. also, my e30's vin shows up as a euro market car and i have euro bumpers, and many labels and controls on the car are in german. however, as many other people have said, "import" in this case probably means it's made by a non american company, not a grey market vehicle. with the us bumpers and engine mods, it probably doesn't make any difference anyway. good luck, I hope it's a diamond in the rough, but either way, should be interesting to find out what's really going on here.
    Houston, TX
    1985 323i, 1988 635csi, 1990 Miata, 2003 LW200
    1981 CM200T, 1984 VF700S

My Cars
    86 e24, 93' URS4, 10' A4
    THIS LOOKS LIKE A GREAT BUY, IF YOU DO NOT BUY I WILL BUY

635csi 5sp. tastefully modified, preparing for headwork, headers, new exhaust...
    www.andrewtrahanphotography.com

My Cars
    B9 coupe and B9 sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Linksntime View Post
    Bentsdl Those "wires" may be required as part of the turbo / cooling /emissions management system. Just a thought...maybe some other members could elaborate. Also, the seller posted a picture of a large brass looking blow off valve in the last ebay auction.

Rem 83 The seller has had the car for sale on Craigslist, ebay, and Collector Car. Same information on all sites.
    As has been said before; this does not even look like a pic from this car and the valve cover shown does not look like one found on these engines. To have a turbo, it should be very simple to provide a decent pic. If you asked; the seller should be able to provide one as well.

I recently was presented with an opportunity to purchase an Alpina and all of the photos were there showing all of the necessary parts but I knew the car and also knew that it could not be delivered to my door by FedEx. So I played along for a while and asked for a photo of the instrument cluster, wheel well area and exhaust. I got photos and they were from a BMW but not the one offered in the pics. Seller had and excuse about pics getting switch on the computer and lost the correct ones. Was going to have to go back to the consignment/broker to get the pics again. Offered a larger discount to keep from having any further issues. Wow! I could have bought a real Alpina for $1800 including delivery from the UK.

My Cars
    Linksntime,

I'm not sure why you are so adamant about the seller being straight up with you about this car.. it's been listed FS SEVERAL times and you'd think EVEN with a damaged/failed turbo system that it would have sold by now for the price he's been asking.

I really think this is all a bunch of reach around info ITT until we ALL see pics of the actual car's engine bay.

I sure hope you dont lose anything but a couple hours of your time waiting to see the car in person and dont give the seller any $$$ at all to hold the entire time.

I will GLADLY eat everything I've said negative ITT (in this thread).. but I got a feeling I wont...

there are TONS of people in this forum who saw that listing and others of the same car LOOKING to spend the same amount of $$$ as you prospect to invest on this car and for SOME REASON passed it up.

I wish I could shut up about this.. but dangit.. I just cant!

Good luck with your endeavors on chasing this "turbo" 6ser down.

My Cars
    1991 E30 335i Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by Linksntime View Post
    Good Stuff!

I'm sure those wires are supposed to be there, they look like they are from the standard wiring harness. Probably going to the combination relays for the fuel pump and injectors. My point was that they look extremely F'ed up!

My Cars
    02 BMW M5 66 Fairlane GT

Pics coming soon

will post some pics in the morning. Fiesta! LOL

So here is the first picture of the day. Shawn and I are headed to San Antonio with his gf Meredith. Myself on Left, Shawn to Right. I called the seller prior to leaving Austin and his phone went straight to voice message. The seller "Rick Dyer" aka Reyna Ochoa had left a message on his voice mail saying an "unfortunate emergency had occurred, and he would be out of town from April 20th to May 27th"! I called BS on that. We went ahead and drove to SA not expecting much, but we ended up finding plenty of good times and great spirited folks.

Arriving in SA

Incredible Public Art!

Security, need we say more?

Ok, so after getting into South San Antonio, we notice the neighborhood is a little rough. We are looking for Swift Eagle Drive! Beware of Guard Dog

And here it is...the 633! I am thinking WOW, the car really exists!

Same looking place as the ebay auction, there is the Jaguar which was also listed for sale, and the Chevy!

What is that.....Velvet? Nice looking seats, per the description.

But WAIT! The mileage says 87,000; not 67,000! Lousy description!

So number one question is.....where is the Turbo? And look at all that rust! There is also no battery in this car. I don't think it is "running" anywhere.

Here is "Rick's" Suburban - the windows were rolled down, not sure he "Left town" - maybe Rick is the Chupacabra Man

So then, all of a sudden, this guy comes out from the adjacent home and starts trying to sell me the car.....says his name is "FRED". According to Fred, Rick moved out last night. Fred (much like the seller) also said "the car runs well", and he said "it only needs a restoration to be perfect"....LOL I told him the car was not a turbo like Rick described and I was not interested. We didn't hang out much longer...as this was not the car I came to see!

I think we got Fried by Fred like a Fish!

Might as well make the most of a gorgeous day in SA, so we are headed to the Riverwalk for some Tony Romo's Ribs

Drinks and such

Dudes on the Riverwalk! Also notice non-matching shoes.

Meredith had grown up in SA and suggested we check out Fiesta 2010. Since it was early in the day, we headed to the Marketplace.

The owner of this car allowed Shawn to act like he was stealing it....we were very respectful.

It was an Incredible Day for a Fiesta!

Some friends we met along the way

Lots of bands and some dancin'

Shawn Shakin it

few more friends along the way

Thirsty?

Meredith checkin out the Indian tats

Boxer machine - Shawn hit a 645, mine was 764 - hand still hurts

Celebration egg cracked on my cabeza

Either way, I got lucky on this deal, as my shirt says....Wanna RUB MY BELLY!

But we were just gettin started....more pics to come!
    Last edited by Linksntime; 04-21-2010 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    02 BMW M5 66 Fairlane GT

Fiesta San Antonio 2010 Part 2

Fiesta continued

La Margarita

Meredith getting an Indian Tat

Martini and Oysters

more friends along the way!

Yes, we are the winners

headed back the car

very sweet and friendly bus driver

Good Bye!

Thanks to all those folks who made positive comments to this thread. Hope everyone enjoyed the adventure.

Marcus

My Cars
    84 635csi euro
    thats a bummer, dude. on the other hand it looks like you had a blast in SA.

My Cars
    Nice ending!

Looks like you all turned lemon into lemonade with the Riverwalk festivities.

Sorry I was so negative about the car.. I just had a feeling things were gonna turn out like that. VERY glad you didnt get jacked for the deposit.

Odd that the Suburban was still there.. considering that he got positive feedback on April 2nd for the sale of it.. which tends to support my theory that he's running extra accounts and "buying" vehicles from himself to give himself positive feedback history.
    It was because of that kinda suspect activity I was seeing that made me think YOU were in cahoots with the seller, or the seller himself trying to promote the car's sale.. and I apologize to you for making that accusation.

Thanks for sharing your finds about the car.. puts to rest alot of questions now and hopefully we are ALL better informed about it to warn others who may be tempted to buy it in the future when it pops up again.. which I'm sure it will.

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Lol! Glad to see you had a good time despite the car being exactly what we all predicted. Keep looking for a legit 6er, we'd love to have you join our group.

My Cars
    '94 MX-6
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    Looks like you all turned lemon into lemonade with the Riverwalk festivities.
    +1

Glad all seems to have turned out well in spite of the disappointment. Hope you decide to keep looking!

Cheers,
    Matt

Makr is offline Snark engineer PHD Moderator
    My Cars
    '85 635
    Nice! Looks like a great time.
    Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.
    Henry David Thoreau

Ride fast, safety last.

My Cars
    81 euro 635, 4.4 X5
    I thought Scottsdale was "bolt on" haven. Looks like SA is giving us competition!!
    81 Euro undergoing total nut and bolt restoration
    pictures at: flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert Poliakoff View Post
    I thought Scottsdale was "bolt on" haven. Looks like SA is giving us competition!!
    what kind of "body" are referring to?

My Cars
    Too many
    Meredith is a 10. Congrats to the guy that is with her. Nice photos and at least you had a nice afternoon despite the crappy 6'er. There was one for sale here in Vegas a while back. Is it me, or do they seem overpriced and in bad condition. I love my e34, but I think that the 6 is the best looking BMW ever built. Good luck with the search. Btw, what kind of camera did you use?
    Last edited by coolvegase34; 04-21-2010 at 07:55 PM.

My Cars
    81 euro 635, 4.4 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    what kind of "body" are referring to?
    If you need clues, than any further response will fall on blind eyes!!
    81 Euro undergoing total nut and bolt restoration
    pictures at: flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos

Makr is offline Snark engineer PHD Moderator
    My Cars
    '85 635
    I aint blind.
    Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.
    Henry David Thoreau

Ride fast, safety last.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Makr View Post
    I aint blind.
    no?

you're gonna go blind if you dont let go of that stick MF'r!

My Cars
    02 BMW M5 66 Fairlane GT

Camera is metal body Canon S90

This Canon S90 is one of the best and most versatile camera's I have ever owned! Here are some photo's from yesterday's Ducati Motorcycle Bikini photo shoot at the Continental Club! The photo's will amaze you! There was a professional photographer taking pics, but I took these pics from a far. The bike is a 1974 Ducati 450RT converted in the late 80's to a cafe racer. It is one of my baby's.

Meredith is great looking and her personality is even better. Thanks to her and Shawn for driving my arse down to SA (and back).

It was a great time. Exploring is the journey...

M

Last edited by Linksntime; 04-22-2010 at 12:49 PM. Reason: add photos

My Cars
    2007 328i E92
    Agreed about turning lemons into limonada... Cool friends you have there! I've been to too many riverwalk/fiesta/N.I.O.S.A. parties and your pics take me back to those days. Maybe I'll go again this year before it's all over.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234