Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squeaking Noise

My Cars
    1999 BMW 328i

Squeaking Noise

I think I need a new belt but not sure which one...my car is making a squeaking noise. Sometimes it dos it sometimes it doesn't...

My Cars
    92' 525i 00' 323ci
    just replace the ac belt and your alternator belt.......basically, if you cant remember when you last replaced the belts, or just got the car and dont know the service history, its best to replace the belts, especially if they squeak.
    However, dont always assume squeaking is attributed to belts as pulleys can do the same thing, they are slightly more to replace but last way longer than belts....but i would try belts first before you start pullies, they are cheaper and easier to install.
    If the belt is cracked or fraying, which u can see by taking it off (or if its bad enough, it will show when its mounted on the pulleys), then its definetely time for new ones. Just use your own discretion. I just replaced mine a month or 2 ago along with other maitience parts due to the fact that I bought the car without any maitinence history.
    Speeding is legal only if speeding isn't legal.

My Cars
    2003 ZHP 6MT, 1997 M345
    I have a high pitched fluttering squeak from somewhere under the hood but it's intermittent and I can't figure out if it's a belt, pulley, or something else. Only had the car for 2.5 months and 1000 miles. Main drive belt looks like it's in good shape and recently replaced the A/C compressor belt.

The noise is somewhere between a rapid squeaking and a high pitched rattle. Sometimes hear it driving at low speeds and sometimes at stoplight, but doesn't seem to happen much at low idle. Recently I drilled out and replaced old tensioner pulley bolt so it's possible some dust or metal shavings got into the tensioner pulley bearing. I have a new pulley on the way.

Didn't have the squeaking when I first got the car, and I think it either after replacing VCG or after replacing tensioner pulley bolt and A/C belt. Could a new A/C belt cause intermittent squeaking? Could it be the VANOS rattle (it is a ZHP)? I heard the VANOS rattle sounds like pebbles in a can. This doesn't sound like someone shaking normal pebbles in a soup can but I guess if you put really small pebbles in a really small can and spun the can at 300 RPM it might sound something like what I'm hearing.

Would love to hear any other tips. I haven't stuck my head under the hood with the squeak going but I'll be doing that soon before I replace the tensioner pulley.

My Cars
    2001 325i Sedan
    I'd go ahead and replace both tensioners and the idler pully.

My Cars
    2003 ZHP 6MT, 1997 M345
    Hey thanks, golforcars. Got new tensioner pulley yesterday and the bearing seems a lot more solid (or at least better greased) than bearing in old pulley. Car is at a convertible top shop right now getting the passenger occupancy sensor mat replaced. Will replace tensioner pulley tonight or tomorrow. If squeak doesn't go away, will buy idler pulley. If that fails, I guess consult an indie mechanic or call Dr. Vanos.

Hmmm... unless it's the power steering pump. Previous owner replaced PS reservoir and 2 PS hoses, then I replaced 3rd PS hose. But maybe it's still the original pump.

My Cars
    2003 ZHP 6MT, 1997 M345
    Replacing tensioner pulley didn't help. New idler pulley on order.

My Cars
    BMW E46 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by sbbrown333 View Post
    I think I need a new belt but not sure which one...my car is making a squeaking noise. Sometimes it dos it sometimes it doesn't...
    It doesn't matter which belt is squeaking... You should replace BOTH belts at the same time, so you don't have belts in Different condition of wear.

Also, once the old belts are removed... take a close look at them. Make sure there's no signs of oil or fluids on its surface. Because that would let you know if any of the components around it has sprung a leak.

Lastly,
    When you're changing out the belts... Check your Pulleys! Do this simple "Spin Test":

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acZ96Jr0zC4[/ame]

I would consider replacing the idler(deflector) and Tensioner pulley if your vehicle has more than 60K miles. Definitely replace if you have 75K+
    Because, the bearings in them are probably worn out. Don't gamble with your cooling system by riding them longer until they completely Fail.

My Cars
    2003 ZHP 6MT, 1997 M345
    Hey Bimmersgarage, thanks for the tips and the video. My idler pulley sounds a little like the old one in the video, not quite that dry and loose, but sort of in that direction. The car has 137,000 miles on it. Water pump was replaced at 75K but the mechanic who did that wasn't sure from his records whether the tensioner and idler pulleys were replaced too. I should have the new idler pulley next week.

I figured out how to describe my "rattle" noise. I call it hypercricket, because it sounds like one really excited cricket on cocaine chirping.

My Cars
    BMW E46 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by LivesNearCostco View Post
    Hey Bimmersgarage, thanks for the tips and the video. My idler pulley sounds a little like the old one in the video, not quite that dry and loose, but sort of in that direction. The car has 137,000 miles on it. Water pump was replaced at 75K but the mechanic who did that wasn't sure from his records whether the tensioner and idler pulleys were replaced too. I should have the new idler pulley next week.

I figured out how to describe my "rattle" noise. I call it hypercricket, because it sounds like one really excited cricket on cocaine chirping.
    Definitely get that pulley refreshed... @ 137K it's a spinning ghost.

"HyperCricket"... may I quote you on that?
    Sounds like a good domain name that you should get for yourself.

Just follow my DIY on the idler project, you should be able to install it yourself.
    Good luck.

My Cars
    2003 ZHP 6MT, 1997 M345
    Thanks. You may absolutely quote me on "hypercricket." Absolutely agree 137K is too long for pulleys; just don't know if the car came with original pulleys when I bought it at 134,000 miles. I have removed the idler pulley twice before, when I had to remove the alternator to get to the oil filter housing bolts.

My Cars
    BMW E46 330i
    Well, it doesn't matter now if it's been replaced or not...
    It's got some mad crickets in it now, so you should do a new pulley replacement.

My Cars
    2002 325xi

For what it's worth........

I have a simular noise at idle and low speed, but only when my AC is on. Is this the same problem? Car has 81K on it. I've had it for a month.

My Cars
    BMW E46 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by tmacest View Post
    I have a simular noise at idle and low speed, but only when my AC is on. Is this the same problem? Car has 81K on it. I've had it for a month.
    It's more likely the "other" Tensioner pulley that tightens your A/C belt, if you only hear the noise (hypercrickets) when you turn on the A/C.

That pulley is a separate unit and is located near the bottom of your motor towards the passenger side.

My Cars
    2003 ZHP 6MT, 1997 M345
    Replaced idler pulley last night. No cricket noises on morning commute, but then I didn't hear the cricket at all yesterday even before replacing the idler. I checked other pulleys down there: water pump seems solid, alternator is solid, but PS pump pulley has slight amount of axial (in and out, not side-to-side) play.

Forgot to check AC tensioner pulley. In fact didn't even take off AC belt.

My Cars
    '00 330Ci, '07 350Z
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmersGarage View Post
    When you're changing out the belts... Check your Pulleys! Do this simple "Spin Test":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acZ96Jr0zC4

I would consider replacing the idler(deflector) and Tensioner pulley if your vehicle has more than 60K miles. Definitely replace if you have 75K+
    Because, the bearings in them are probably worn out. Don't gamble with your cooling system by riding them longer until they completely Fail.
    Your videos are really awesome Bimmersgarage . I found this whilst trying to work out where a little squeaking or whistling noise was coming from under gentle acceleration between 1200 and 2000 rpm.

Whilst watchin your video i noticed that the arrangement of your pulleys and you drawing were not like mine from what I could remember, so i went out and checked, and sure enough it looks as though my idler pulley is missing!! Is my tensioner pulley taking up the slack???

E46 330Ci: Umnitza P46 Headlights + Custom LED Halos; Eagle Eye smoked taillights; LEDs fogs; M3 bonnet conversion; M-Sport Front & Rear bumper; Replica M3 mirrors: Rear lip spoiler; Carbon fibre strut brace; Aluminium rear strut brace; H&R Sway Bars; LSD 3.15 ratio; F30 front & rear Brembo BBK conversion; ECU Remap; F32 Front Seats; GROM Audio

My Cars
    BMW E46 330i
    @Oz Striker
    Thanks, glad my vids can help you.

Now, it Does appear someone left off your idler (Deflector) pulley..!
    That is NOT good !! (Who worked on your motor last?)
    How long have you been driving in that condition?

This is what it should look like:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zXRRfjQafU[/ame]

And, yours definitely doesn't look like that... you may not have the retaining bolt that holds down your alternator (properly) also, because that same bolt is used to mount/thread through the Deflector pulley too.

Reference here:
    Bolt #6

Bolt #5 (I know it's drawn differently, but the SKU for the bolt is the same)

Here's a vid of the bolt (@ 1:01) -
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asu3FRyf7Ww[/ame]

I would highly recommend that you replace BOTH tensioner and idler pulleys. Don't just add the missing deflector, because the amount of stress that tensioner pulley has been through in that condition, I would not gamble with my motor like that.
    Last edited by BimmersGarage; 05-17-2010 at 12:50 AM.

My Cars
    2003 ZHP 6MT, 1997 M345
    I replaced my idler pulley last week (after replacing tensioner pulley 3 weeks ago). Saturday drove 58 miles to the track, took BMW CCA car control couse, also went some slow laps around the track with an instructor, drove 58 miles home, and no crickets! Then Sunday for HPDE I heard crickets again, though only when driving to the local auto parts store during a break between classes--no funny noises at all on the track except when I ran over a cone at 70 mph and it smashed one foglight.

The crickets do seem less enthusiastic than before replacing the idler pulley. So either I had two crickets and have only one left (AC tensioner?), or it's all in my head now, or it's the VANOS rattle.

My Cars
    BMW E46 330i
    ^
    My friend... sounds like you need to exterminate!

Well, if you are still getting random squeaks under your hood, you might want to double check:

1. your A/C tensioner.
    2. Or, look for fluid leaks of any kind that may be getting onto your belts. (Or, it could be just morning dew, perhaps?)

Make sure you didn't over torque the bolt holding down the idler and you need to have the dust cap back on to prevent dirt/debris.

I'm not sure if a Failing VANOS could make a high pitch noise...?
    Last edited by BimmersGarage; 05-17-2010 at 12:45 PM.

My Cars
    2003 ZHP 6MT, 1997 M345
    I will check the A/C tensioner and see if Orkin offers a guarantee against hyper-cricket infestation! My idler pulley dust cap is missing. Have a new one on order from ECS Tuning along with a few other parts.

No visible fluid leaks since late March. It's possible some power steering fluid spilled on the main accessory belt in March after I replaced the PS pressure hose, because I over-filled the PS fluid reservoir.
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmersGarage View Post
    My friend... sounds like you need to exterminate!

Well, if you are still getting random squeaks under your hood, you might want to double check:

1. your A/C tensioner.
    2. Or, look for fluid leaks of any kind that may be getting onto your belts. (Or, it could be just morning dew, perhaps?)

Make sure you didn't over torque the bolt holding down the idler and you need to have the dust cap back on to prevent dirt/debris.

I'm not sure if a Failing VANOS could make a high pitch noise...?

My Cars
    2003 ZHP 6MT, 1997 M345
    took the car to the track on May 22 and no crickets heard on the track. Not that I would be able to hear them over the roar of the race cars that ran between our sessions (or enraged beehive buzzing from the racing Miatas). But occasionally still hear cricket squeaks while driving at low speeds, like in parking lots. Definitely less common than before so some were exterminated when I replaced the main belt idler and tensioner pulleys. Also listened to some VANOS rattle videos on YouTube and my squeaking doesn't sound like that, so it's not the VANOS.

Next up is climate compressor (A/C) tensioner. Mine looks mechanical (whereas my main belt tensioner is hydraulic). Anyone know if I can replace just the pulley like I did for the main belt tensioner, or do I have to replace the whole A/C tensioner as a unit?
    Last edited by LivesNearCostco; 05-28-2010 at 09:53 PM.

My Cars
    BMW E46 330i
    Track time... Awesome!
    Did you videotape any of the races?

If you're still getting some squeaks... could there be another fluid leak some where that's dripping onto your belts? Or, your belt is just oily, maybe?

You should replace the whole unit. The springs in those are good for about 6-8 years, so it's about time for a refresh.

My Cars
    2003 ZHP 6MT, 1997 M345
    thanks again for your tips. I wil replace the whole A/C tensioner unit next. It is possible my main accessory belt is oily since when I got the car the VANOS oil line and oil filter housing were both leaking. And I overfilled my PS fluid reservoir making it leak a bit. AFAIK all leaks are fixed now, but still the belt that came with it.

I videotaped 2 of my track runs on May 16 (California Speedway, Fontana) and 2 of my runs from May 22 (Willow Springs Raceway) but not any of the real race sessions. My videos aren't that exciting, just shows me trying to learn the line and a bunch of faster cars passing me in the straights. My car did great but the driver still needs a lot of improvement!
    Last edited by LivesNearCostco; 05-31-2010 at 02:09 AM.

My Cars
    BMW E46 330i
    If in doubt... get new belts!

And as the saying goes... practice makes perfect. So, post your vids! They're be a point of reference to showcase how much you have improved as more track time is enjoyed.

My Cars
    2003 ZHP 6MT, 1997 M345
    OK, here's my 2nd day at the track, 3rd session, first 4 laps. I didn't have the camera mounted for 1st and 2nd sessions and YouTube only allows me to post 10-minute clips, so I'm working on editing the others.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj7RlSnciBA[/ame]

No sound you say? Practice no doubt improves video editing skills as well.
    Last edited by LivesNearCostco; 06-02-2010 at 01:40 AM.

My Cars
    525i 1993 auto, 230k
    Hi there,

Thanks for all the infos and videos on pulleys/tensioner! I have to replace my alternator idler pulley (the offset one), the bearing is dry... and it's squeaking quite a bit more since I rebuilded my alternator (so I guess I overtighted the alternator pulley bolt).

While I'm relacing that pulley and checking the others, I was told by my Indie BMW shop that alternator tensioner should be changed. I hate replacing part if it is still good... how could I check if the tensioner is worn or not?

My car: 1993 525i auto trans, vin no. bj91491, 230k miles on it.
    3 years and 25k miles ago both tensioner pulleys were replaced along with belts.
    1 year and 5k miles ago, A/C tensioner pulley was replaced again
    3.5 years and 30k miles ago, fan clutch pulley was replaced.

Thanks for your advises!
    1993 525i auto (bj91491), 230k miles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast