Thread: E39 Touring Self-Leveling Suspension Troubleshooting

My Cars
    1997 528i

E39 Touring Self-Leveling Suspension Troubleshooting

I have a 1998 528iT that has had "Self Leveling Inact" since I purchased it. The suspension wouldn't raise of lower, but was fine to drive. I replaced the air springs myself, but the error didn't go away.

I dropped it by a local BMW independent mechanic for troubleshooting. He couldn't find the trouble, but since he had it, the left side drops all the way down overnight. I have had it back to him three times to fix, but it still has the problem. The last time he had it, he said he had checked all the hoses, springs, etc and the only thing he could think of is that it might be the valve contained in the compressor unit.

I have found a replacement compressor unit which I am going to put it. I also thought I might try a new left air bag in case the one I bought failed already.

Anything else I am not seeing here? Thanks.

My Cars
    BMW 5 series!!!
    Very interested in this specific issue, since I'm looking for a 2000 wagon with this option.

I typically don't like SLS because of the higher maintenance cost, so in my 91 M5, I deleted it. That one was a hydraulic system though, I believe the wagon uses an air system.

Do you mind educating me on how much things costs? you replaced the air spring (I believe that's the rubber bubble), how much was that? how hard was it to do by your self without a lift and all?

how many miles on your wagon? I'm wondering if I should stay away just because of this or not.

Thanks.
    -----------------
    '94 E34 525ia 248k mi (since 83k)
    '00 E39 M5 126k mi (since 64k)
    '91 E34 M5 119 mi (since 110k)
    '00 E39 540iTa 98 mi (since 72k)
    '01 E38 740i M-sports 101k mi (since 95k)
    '07 E60 530i 53k mi (Newly added)

'01 E39 525iTa 92k mi (since 54k) Sold
    -----------------
    Koni Sport - E39 M5
    DVD Nav upgrade (from MKII) w/ 16x9 monitor - M5
    Bluetooth module - E39 M5 / 525ia
    CCFL Angel Eye - E39 M5
    CELIS tail lights - E39 M5
    Blinder direct wire - E39 M5
    V1 direct wire - ALL
    HID projector upgrade - 525ia / 525iTa
    Power Chip - 525ia
    Dinan/Koni suspension - E34 M5

My Cars
    00 528iT,06 Charger
    It’s actually not as bad as you might think, I just recently changed my rear airbags and it was $187 each with shipping from EAC, I was amazed. I ordered them at 11AM they were at my door step at 1030am the next day!

As far as changing the air spring, I was done in 20 min and the hardest part was cleaning out all the crap from the trunk that my wife had.

I was scared at first but know I love it, since I lowered it and the ride quality is the same as stock height.
    Last edited by Joemz9; 04-11-2010 at 10:21 PM.

My Cars
    1997 528i
    Yes, the air springs are easy to replace and if that solves your problem you are golden. I also just replaced the control module and the compressor. We'll see if it holds height overnight, but it is still throwing the error.

I love the touring, but think this is a pretty common issue for all of them. I may remove it and replace with a traditional suspension if I can't sort it out.
    Last edited by chinaiyf; 04-16-2010 at 12:30 PM.

My Cars
    2006 BMW X5 4.8is
    chinaiyf,

Did you ever find a fix for the settling that was taking place overnight? I have a 2006 X5 4.8is and I have the same problem. It will be level when I park, but in the morning the right front side is significantly lower than the rest of the car. Shortly after getting in the vehicle it will raise itself back up.

There are no indicator warnings "SELF LEVELING SUSPENSION INACTIVE", so the shop was hesitant to replace stuff (ex Strut, etc.). When they hooked it up to the computer, there were several error codes that they cleared out. After resetting the ride height the car actually stayed level for about two weeks. Then all the sudden this same behavior started up again.

It's like this car has a mind of its own. Any help as to why this is happening would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

My Cars
    99' 5Sp 528IT/10' Maxima
    Sagging overnight is a leaking system. Check all your hoses. The message issue I would check the leveling sensors in the back. Maybe they are disconnected.

1999 E39 Touring Sport and 3 pedals

My Cars
    2006 BMW X5 4.8is
    I initially thought it was a leak too, but I don't see how clearing out error codes and resetting the ride height would fix the problem for two weeks. If it was a leak, I would think it would consistently sag until the leak is patched. Right?

Shortly before this all started, the fuse for my main control module blew. This caused the entire car to go haywire. I had the fuse replaced and everything went back to normal, except for this ride height issue. Can you see any correlation between these two events?

Thanks!

My Cars
    1997 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by jweber View Post
    chinaiyf,

Did you ever find a fix for the settling that was taking place overnight? I have a 2006 X5 4.8is and I have the same problem. It will be level when I park, but in the morning the right front side is significantly lower than the rest of the car. Shortly after getting in the vehicle it will raise itself back up.

There are no indicator warnings "SELF LEVELING SUSPENSION INACTIVE", so the shop was hesitant to replace stuff (ex Strut, etc.). When they hooked it up to the computer, there were several error codes that they cleared out. After resetting the ride height the car actually stayed level for about two weeks. Then all the sudden this same behavior started up again.

It's like this car has a mind of its own. Any help as to why this is happening would be really appreciated.

Thanks!
    No, I have never gotten the problem fully solved. It doesn't drop all the way, but still drops a bit overnight. I do get the warning, but my local shop gave up. I think I am prepared to live with it, at least for a while.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540iT
    Ride Height Sensor Arm Pointed Inward:

If the sensor was working before you did any suspension work, and the wheel carrier was moved up or down significantly, the ride level sensor arm can flip to point inward, causing the self level inactive error. All you need to do is, take the wheel off, support the wheel carrier with a jack and position it up or down to give the level sensor arm some slack, take the lower 10m nut off with a socket while bracing the inner nut with a 10mm spanner, flip the arm to point outward, and reassemble. Tightening torque is 9NM.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540iT
    Ride Height Sensor Arm Pointed Inward:

If the sensor was working before you did any suspension work, and the wheel carrier was moved up or down significantly, the ride level sensor arm can flip to point inward, causing the self level inactive error. All you need to do is, take the wheel off, support the wheel carrier with a jack and position it up or down to give the level sensor arm some slack, take the lower 10m nut off with a socket while bracing the inner nut with a 10mm spanner, flip the arm to point outward, and reassemble. Tightening torque is 9NM. Clear any faults before driving to erase the error.