Thread: '94 E34 530i M60 smoking issue

My Cars
    '94 530i

'94 E34 530i M60 smoking issue

Car has 290,100 miles. 5 speed manual transmission and is a Nikasil engine.

Recently noticed sporadic smoke at start up (oily smell) but ran fine.

Yesterday, heavy smoke at start-up. Then while driving, would blow thick smoke if I got on it kind of hard (looked like I was spraying for mosquitoes) then would quit.

Check engine light came on, went off, then came on and stayed.

Car idles rough and will stumble a little on acceleration but does "clear up" and then run ok (check engine light still on).

If I was light on the gas, ran ok with a faint wisp of smoke every now and then.

Car did this once before at about 109,000 miles and I let the stealer fix it. Best that I can remember, he told me that a "diaphragm" had ruptured in the oiling system and had to be replaced. I'm thinking that he changed the intake manifold rear cover with non-return valve.

That's what I'm thinking of doing. If this rear cover with non-return valve goes bad could it cause the problem that I have described above?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Anyone??

Have I stumped the panel?

Sure could use some help on this one.

Thanks.
    Last edited by BMW29627; 04-04-2010 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    94 540i
    It's probably the Non-Return Valve (aka PCV) on the back of the intake manifold. This sends the blow-by from the engine crankcase into the intake to be burned.

Buy 540i - Check
    Alusil M60 motor swap - Check
    Install 6-Speed Manual - Check

My Cars
    '94 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrlaltdl View Post
    It's probably the Non-Return Valve (aka PCV) on the back of the intake manifold. This sends the blow-by from the engine crankcase into the intake to be burned.
    Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. I'm going to get one this week and change it out.

Thanks again ctrlaltdl.

My Cars
    E34 530i 5 speed
    Get it done soon... and keep checking your oil level. It will suck out your engine oil and seize your engine if you're not paying attention!.

Both sold. Now: Black 94 E34 530i-5sp

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    I've been having a similar issue lately. I noticed the big smoke comes on after a left turn. I think oil is pooling somewhere and then getting dumped in. I replaced the OSV (pcv valve) just a few months ago. Surely it hasn't gone bad already? I also have a nikasil engine and it's worn out, but the smoke is too sporadic to be just that.

My Cars
    94+95 E34, '07 335i E92
    Which codes are you throwing? Could very well be PCV like mentioned above, or an O2 sensor is bad and throwing your car into a rich condition.

My Cars
    '94 530iT/A|'95 540iT/6
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    I've been having a similar issue lately. I noticed the big smoke comes on after a left turn. I think oil is pooling somewhere and then getting dumped in. I replaced the OSV (pcv valve) just a few months ago. Surely it hasn't gone bad already? I also have a nikasil engine and it's worn out, but the smoke is too sporadic to be just that.
    +1

I have the exact same problem as Layne and OP. Smoke on left hand turns only, and sometimes after a long stop light then going up hill. Idles rough, check engine light is on.

Are you guys getting code 1213, "Oxygen Sensor Lean/Rich Detect (secondary) "

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    I replaced the OSV (pcv valve) just a few months ago. Surely it hasn't gone bad already?
    Yep, it did. Huge vacuum leak from the vent hole on the bottom. I'll definitely buy the genuine BMW part next time. The good news is since I replaced the screws with socket heads, I think I can change it without removing the manifold this time. Judging by the OSV geometry, it looks like left turns would cause oil pooling in the pipe to run up closer to the diaphragm, and if it's busted the oil gets sucked in. Why the oil is in there I don't know, there's a separator that should be keeping it out. Might also be due to the busted diaphragm putting too much suction on the crankcase.

My Cars
    '94 530i
    Just wanted to follow up on the smoking issue that I "had".

I replaced the rear intake cover with the non return valve and it seems to have cleared up the problem.

Immediately after replacing it, I occasionally saw light puffs of smoke when accelerating from a dead stop but that problem has gone away. Probably residual oil in the intake. It was really puddled up in there.

I have been driving it for a couple weeks now and no more issues. The check engine light even went off by itself.

Thanks for the help.

BMW29627