Thread: How to Remove "Faceplate" of CD Player?

My Cars
    530i

How to Remove "Faceplate" of CD Player?

Does anyone know how to remove the faceplate of the CD Player? I want to switch the faceplates of two different CD players.

I tried removing the 6 screws closest to the faceplate, but it still will not budge. I am afraid that if I pull too hard the plastic will break.

Sidebar: the reason why I am switching is because I am upgrading my non-aux compatible 04/02 unit to an aux input compatible 09/02 unit. I want to sell my old one, but there is a hole in the faceplate right next to the eject button where I installed the power switch to my laser jammer.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi Dougie

Pics would be very helpful here!

I think the BMW Business unit that came with a CD player 'might' be in two parts, an upper (CD slot) part and a lower part where the display and volume knob is etc.

It may be case that you just need to remove, swap the CD player parts around and refit?

The way to remove the E39 head units is usually to pop off the volume control knob, and inside there as your's is a late car - you'll see an indent for a small minus screwdriver. Insert one, and twist it quarter way left or right gently, I cant remember which, this should move the locating pins and as you do that, gently prise forward the whole unit. It should begin to slide out. I'm not sure of the 6 screws you mention as from the external dash area there are no screws to access.

If you've already removed the unit, then you're doing surgery on it, and you'll need to look carefully at the unit and other screws to dismantle it. Sounds like you'll need to go down that route of opening it all up, getting to the innards of the unit and releasing internal screws which hold the faceplate of the CD bit you mean.

Cheers, Dennis! West London & Slough UK!

My Cars
    530i
    Just to clarify, I have no problem removing the head unit and cd player from the dash. I need to separate the black plastic faceplate from the metal body of the cd player. Pics coming...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DougiesGoinDeep; 03-26-2010 at 03:34 PM.

My Cars
    530i
    Hoping someone has done this before. I carefully took out as many screws as I could see and only got as far as removing the top silver plate (the part with the laser warning). The faceplate would not budge.

Update: Solved.

For anyone that is wondering, the only 2 screws that need to be removed are the gold ones (visible in the first photo, 1 on each side). Then you just lightly pry from the bottom with a flat head screw driver. Easy enough.
    Last edited by DougiesGoinDeep; 03-26-2010 at 07:25 PM.

My Cars
    01 325Ci, 07 Exige S, 92 Celica GT4, 86 MR2
    Just chiming in to say "thanks" for the update that you solved it on your own. That's good to know that it's simply those 2 screws on each side. I am also upgrading my non-AUX to a more recent model with AUX and wanted to see if i could swap out just the metal CD player case as my faceplate is in better condition than the used one I got.
    Mike Choi | NYC, NY | '01 E46 325Ci + Some Toyotas | 325Ci.com