Thread: oil light comes on after car shut off

My Cars
    02 Dinan 530i, 00 323it

oil light comes on after car shut off

01 330Ci, no other problems, 5k on oil change (mobil1 synthetic), oil check says normal level, just started happening. The owner's manual doesn't say anything about the light coming on after the car is off, it just tells you this is bad if it comes on while driving. Anyone else ever see this? It doesn't do it every time i drive it, but has a couple of times lately.

Thanks

My Cars
    Some
    I'm assuming yellow oil light. I'm assuming oil level is ok. You should assume that the oil level sensor is failed.

My Cars
    02 Dinan 530i, 00 323it
    oil level is ok, correct. The oil light that is on is red i thought, but maybe it is yellow. I'll have to wait on it to pop up again. I can tell you that it is in the top center of the instrument cluster above the traction control/triangle light and between the speedo and tach. I don't think this one comes on when you start the car.

My Cars
    Some
    yellow=low oil level or failed level sensor.
    red=loss of oil pressure engine grenade death.

I've never heard of or seen the red light come on after engine shut off.

My Cars
    02 Dinan 530i, 00 323it
    yep Dave, weird huh? It comes on and stays on for about 30 seconds, then goes off with no beeps or blinks or other common BMWlike attention getters. Car has NO symptoms of low oil pressure or any other problems. I did VANOS, oil filter housing gasket, valve cover gasket, etc. recently and have been watching for oil leakes since (mostly just to get a momentary kick out of not having drips or puddles under my car anymore).
    I'll watch for it and hope it's yellow. Any idea where that sensor is?

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    The oil level sensor is on the bottom of the oil sump pan, near the drain plug. On your 330 it is covered by the wide aluminum crossmember, which is held in place by eight torque-to-yield bolts. Drain the oil, remove said crossmember, then the oil level sensor is held in place by three little nuts. (On earlier E46s there's a tubular crossmember that doesn't get in the way of the oil level sensor.)

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    you can wait to replace teh sensor when you do your next oilchange. BWM recopmmends you change oil and filter when the sensor is replaced so cross comtamination will not occur. Yes they orig told us to pour the old oil back into the car.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    94 GMC sonoma 4x4 - hpd30/8.8 - toy
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)
    01 Pontiac WS6 - Garage Queen
    12 RAM CC Hemi powered - new DD

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    Some
    So it is a red oil light? Is it possible that the two connectors messed with during the filter housing repair are not plugged in or are crossed?

My Cars
    2003 330i ZHP
    My yellow oil light comes on after my car stops sometimes as well. It means you are a half quart low. When it stays on the whole time you drive (the yellow one that is) it means its a quart low.

Member #2 of the unofficial Bf.c OT ĢI hate peopleģ club

My Cars
    02 Dinan 530i, 00 323it
    thanks, i'm gonna check this stuff out today, may go ahead and change my oil, i'm about due.
    Acyd, i bet you are right. My oil level is right in the middle of the middle section of the dipstick (in other words, in the middle of the section between the 2 indentions. I haven't added any because i didn't figure it was really low until it was at the bottom mark.
    Thanks, i will update after i check connectors, oil, etc. today

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    Quote Originally Posted by Acyd View Post
    My yellow oil light comes on after my car stops sometimes as well. It means you are a half quart low. When it stays on the whole time you drive (the yellow one that is) it means its a quart low.

not really true. if the opil level is between the marks on teh dipstick you are ok and the light wont come on. it will sometimes come on when it gets .5 ats below the minimun mark, but most of the itme its 1 qt low.

You have a bad oil level sensor, just replace it and be sone with it. I do about 2 a week here lately.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    94 GMC sonoma 4x4 - hpd30/8.8 - toy
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)
    01 Pontiac WS6 - Garage Queen
    12 RAM CC Hemi powered - new DD

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    02 Dinan 530i, 00 323it
    OK, the light is yellow, and intermittent. It came on today on a 1 hr. trip and stayed on, but DIDN'T come on or stay on when i shut the car off. Then on my 1 hr. return home it didn't come on at all, not even after i shut the car off. So maybe bad sensor, but i need an oil change and didn't get to it today so i'll see if it's just low oil tomorrow.

Thanks everyone

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    If the oil light comes on while driving, that means your oil level is dangerously low - assuming the sensor and other components are working properly.

The usual mode of failure of the sensor is for the light to come on for about 30 seconds right after you start the car. So, I kinda suspect something else is going on, but not sure what. I'll assume you're reading the dipstick correctly (pull it out, wipe it off, put it back in, pull it out again, THEN read the level). There have been rumors of the plastic tip of the dipstick coming loose and giving inaccurate readings, but it seems like that would be noticeable when you're checking the level.

My Cars
    02 Dinan 530i, 00 323it
    It wasn't the sensor, or the dipstick. I changed the oil and filter and everything is fine. I was just low on oil i guess. Car's been fine for a week now and no more lights. Oil level hasn't changed.
    Thanks everyone!

My Cars
    95 e38 2002 e46
    I get a blinking red oil can,(Up Top) Has been doing this for 2 years, Happens every few days, gives a few flickers and then goes out, My oil level is fine, think it may be a sensor.