Thread: Broken Console/Dash Plastic Tabs - Here's a Fix

My Cars
    98 Roadster 2.8L

Lightbulb Broken Console/Dash Plastic Tabs - Here's a Fix

Some of you may have already done it this way or simlar, but thought I would post my method for fixing these broken plastic tabs between the lower dash and console panels:

I was wanting something that would be a "permanent" fix without having to worry about breaking the tab again. The solution was to epoxy new hand-made metal tabs onto the broken plastic tabs.

Supplies:
    - Simpson Strong-Tie A21Z Angle Z-Max (2” x 1”) Local hardware store – Lowes/HD/ACE
    - Tin Snips
    - 5-Min Plastic/Metal Epoxy
    - Drill Bit – 3/16”
    - Washers – 3/16” hole in center
    - Original speed nuts from broken tab

Steps:
    1) Cut down the sheet metal angles to approximately same dimensions as the original tab. Leave a lip on the tab the can be epoxied to the backside of the trim panel (aids in adhesion and strength)
    2) Using pliers, slightly bend the existing 90deg angle to a slightly larger angle (maybe to 100-110deg) for perfect fit on trim panel. Test fit to ensure the entire metal bracket makes flush contact with the existing trim panel.
    3) Cut off any remaining plastic tab that would interfere with the washer you would be installing in step (6).

Note: I decided to go ahead and cut off the tabs that weren't broken since they would likely break the next time I need to get behind the console.

4) Now mark where the new hole should be for the screw/speednut
    5) Drill with 3/16” bit
    6) Epoxy the washer to this hole so that the metal thickness of the tab now approximates the original thickness of the plastic tab. This also strengthens the end of the new tab.
    7) Epoxy the new metal tab to the trim panel
    8) Done

Note: I actually performed steps (6) & (7) at the same time. You should also be able to use a very similar procedure for repairing other mounting points such as where the lower glove box section mounts to the upper dash. Both of these mounting points were also broken in my vehicle.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Good idea. I'm pretty sure that I buggered one of mine when I had the glove box out last.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Thanks for the post. I broke mine doing the glove box repair and didn't know how to fix the broken tabs. Now I do!

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 Roadster
    This is brilliant... and very creative! I only wish that I had seen it 3 weeks ago, before I re-assembled my console. :-(

My Cars
    '01 Z3 Coupe, '91 318i
    Great solution. Thanks for sharing.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    Another thing to add to the To Do list!

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    Wow this is old but useful. Strange I never saw it nor did it seem to get much attention.

Thanks Kurt!

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 Roadster
    Absolutely brilliant... and so creative! I wish I'd seen it months ago. Next time for sure.

All the best,
    -Bob-

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Looks sturdy! I did this http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...%28glovebox%29 holding up well. If it fails, I'll try this method.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S