Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to replace the heater blower resistor for a E34

My Cars
    1983 320iS, 1992 525

how to replace the heater blower resistor for a E34

Hi, I have a 1992 525it and the fan only works on high (5). I've been told I need to replace the resistor. I bought one but would like to know where to start looking for the one in the car. Any help as to where it is and how to get to it? Thanks

My Cars
    VAmaNOS
    If its the same as a 95 it would be here...

Do you see the little bit of bright blue showing? That's the spot...

^^The part, if that's not the same then I'm not sure where it's located

As for removal I believe it's simply remove and replace, there may be clips holding it in I did it about three years ago, I'm sure someone else will chime in. You also have to remove the carpet panel that's there next to the center console, should just be held on by one clip that you turn 90 degrees with a flathead and pull out and some plastic may be blocking it above the pedals.
    Last edited by e34armour; 02-27-2010 at 07:14 PM.

My Cars
    1983 320iS, 1992 525

where is the heater blower resistor for a 92 525it?

hello, I have a 1992 525iT and I'm trying to replace the heater blower resistor. I have a replacement, its blue but I'm unable to find the location of it in the car? I pulled back the carpet and black plastic under the driver's side dash,but can't seem to locate it there. Any help would be appreciated.

My Cars
    e34x2+e28+e38-e30
    ice9phil, the picture that e34armour provided does have the location of the resistor. I've circled it in red. Problem might be is that the one in your car is not blue. I've seen white, black and brown which might make it a bit more difficult to find. I have a 92 Touring as well and mine was black. It seems the replacement units are bright blue. BTW I would remove the panel above the pedals. It provides a little more wiggle room.
    Good luck and welcome.

My Cars
    '11 Golf TDI+Porsche 996
    I thought that was the final stage unit?
    I own mostly junk. Except the Porsche, that's kind of cool.
    All the motorcycles are trash which you can read about at
    http://oneguytwowheels.blogspot.com/

I'll update it eventually

Thansk

My Cars
    e34x2+e28+e38-e30
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettSR5 View Post
    I thought that was the final stage unit?
    I think they are one and the same. BMW calls it "Final stage unit" and we call it a resistor. They probably conjured up a fancy name so it sounds incredibly complex when they are selling you on it on the service drive.

"Yeah the final stage unit for the multi-speed air movement system is no longer in synch with the manual activation controls. Just leave your wallet on the table, we'll call you when it's done"

My Cars
    1998 M3, 2003 GSXR-1000
    Quote Originally Posted by LouieD View Post
    I think they are one and the same. BMW calls it "Final stage unit" and we call it a resistor. They probably conjured up a fancy name so it sounds incredibly complex when they are selling you on it on the service drive.

"Yeah the final stage unit for the multi-speed air movement system is no longer in synch with the manual activation controls. Just leave your wallet on the table, we'll call you when it's done"
    They are not the same, its different parts.

Stan
    Mods: Carbon fiber hood, headlights with angel eyes and 14000 Kelvin HIDs, blacked out/smoked tail lights and side turning signals, smoked front corners...and thats about it
    Ohh...and some "bolt-ons" here and there........K&N air filter, m50 manifold, rouge trans mounts, a few V-band clamps, few silicon couplers....etc...etc....
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=653809

My Cars
    e30, e34, e36, Cherokee
    Quote Originally Posted by GodFather View Post
    They are not the same, its different parts.

Stan

lol thread revival for that.

but hey this reminds me my 535 fan only works on highest and I should replace this....
    Slowly climbing the ladder. But never reach the top.
    Click Car 4 Build!
    '86 325es-Turbo m30!
    '94 325iA-Clean DD
    '94 530i
    -6 Spd swp
    '89 Cherokee 4x4-4.7L stroker
    '97 Eclipse Spyder-4g64/63 stroker Turbo.
    '89 535is-RIP 2020, engine now in e30!
    '84 318is-RIP 2016.

'89 535iA-Parted 2012
    94' 530iA-RIP 2004, engine in new 530i
    '78 530ia-first car RIP 2005

My Cars
    E34, E60
    just uploading some pics for future reference

the locking tabs

i tried for some time to remove it from there, but the tab on one side is extremely hard (i'm a pussy for breaking the plastic bits in the dash)... just gave up. since it's blue in a '92 (where the originals where gray or black) i'm betting (hoping) the PO changed them also, i get blower issues on all 4 positions, and according to the electric schematics (6450.5-02), position 4 bypass the resistor.
    Last edited by gcb; 09-06-2011 at 01:25 AM. Reason: typo

My Cars
    '94 BMW 525i; '88 560sel

Strange Fan Problem

So here's one for you. My blower fan works on 1,2,3 as normal but position 4 does not speed up the fan. On position 4 it continues to blow air as if in position 3. I looked at the wiring schematic and it seems as though the system bypasses the resistor on position 4. This would lead me to believe that there is a problem in the fan switch itself. Is that possible? I just finished replacing a noisy and (very) expensive fan motor hoping that that would also fix my fan speed problem. Any thoughts here?

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28
    Switch may be faulty.. can you find another unit and see ?

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanB82 View Post
    So here's one for you. My blower fan works on 1,2,3 as normal but position 4 does not speed up the fan. On position 4 it continues to blow air as if in position 3. I looked at the wiring schematic and it seems as though the system bypasses the resistor on position 4. This would lead me to believe that there is a problem in the fan switch itself. Is that possible? I just finished replacing a noisy and (very) expensive fan motor hoping that that would also fix my fan speed problem. Any thoughts here?
    The first three positions of the fan switch route the current through the different resistance wire coils (picture a light bulb filament)in the resistor pack. The fast speed is direct to the blower motor. It's not inconcievable that one of the resistance wires has burned through and a portion of it has shorted to the wire which connects to the fan motor, effectively making that position another high speed circuit.
    Cliff notes; replace the blower resistor pack
    Last edited by ross1; 11-11-2012 at 05:31 PM.

My Cars
    93 525ia, 92 535it/5
    My blower works on low speeds, but I get that plastic burning electrical smell on all speeds BUT high, so I assume
    A) the resister is bad, and is trying to burn my car down (yes I have seen the threads)
    Or
    B) something is in there testing on the resister and is burning... Leaves, old bits of dash, whatever.

I think it's A. So I just avoid using the slower speeds for now.

My Cars
    1995,bmw,525i,e34
    when i turn on the AC, the blower fan is only working on max speed, i'm still working on how to fix this.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    There are mosfets to replace and in the handle there are capacitors, see here some pics
    http://www.e32-schrauber.de/bmw/s-heizschwert.htm
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    '94 BMW 525i; '88 560sel
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    The first three positions of the fan switch route the current through the different resistance wire coils (picture a light bulb filament)in the resistor pack. The fast speed is direct to the blower motor. It's not inconcievable that one of the resistance wires has burned through and a portion of it has shorted to the wire which connects to the fan motor, effectively making that position another high speed circuit.
    Cliff notes; replace the blower resistor pack
    I never responded to this but I think this will be helpful for those having a similar problem. My fan speed would not increase when moving from position 3 to 4 AND every time i moved the fan speed switch the a/c indicator light would go out for 4-5 seconds and the a/c compressor clutch would disengage while said light was out. I've owned the car since 2007 and put up with this problem from the beginning(the a/c light, fan speed problem just happened). I finally purchased a used control unit on Ebay and swapped out the fan speed switch, taa da! I no longer have the issue of the light blinking or the fan speed not increasing when changing from position 3-4. I also went ahead and replaced the cabin air flow filter for the second time (first time was in 2007 when I purchased the car). This made a HUGE difference in airflow not to mention the fact that the filter was filthy. I'm very satisfied with this repair!

My Cars
    1991 BMW 525i
    I have a 1991 525i that only has the high-speed on the fan switch.. no other positions work.. I am going to try this fix soon as the new part shows up.. I found it for $10.77 on this website.. I had an extra fan switch and It's been changed and didn't cure the problem.. SO this has to be it ! Thanks fir this site..

http://www.discountbodyparts.com/cat...lower+resistor

My Cars
    1991 BMW 525i

Works on 5 only?

I have a 1991 525i that only has the high-speed on the fan switch.. no other positions work.. I am going to try this fix soon as the new part shows up.. I found it for $10.77 on this website.. I had an extra fan switch and It's been changed and didn't cure the problem.. SO this has to be it ! Thanks fir this site..

My Cars
    Bmw e34 540i/6 SuperCa
    I have a brown resistor,can i bay end use a blue one?
    Have a need, a need for speed

My Cars
    E31/E32 VWs Tesla
    Last spring, my car caught fire because the resistor and/or bad, squeaky blower motor ignited some leaves/debris.

Fortunately, there was a fire truck nearby with a fire extinguisher (for some reason, all my other cars had extinguishers except my E34)

I got real lucky.. Only the leaves burned, and half the cabin air filter. My resistor was intact.
    $150 later (blower motor, cabin air filter, and a few hours) and I was back in business. It smelled like fire for about 3-4 weeks afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by BERKELUSA View Post

'89 735i, '91 850i, '81 MB 380SLC (For Sale), Tesla Model 3, and VW Passat TDI -- Yes, I still repair General Modules, DM for info!

My Cars
    1991 bmw 520i auto e34
    yes same issues here i will check what color this block is on my Betty tomorrow and try cleaning and replacing this as my heat blowers only work on full setting then its lovely and hot but just to hot lol

My Cars
    1991 bmw 520i auto e34
    Hi I found mine but it's brown I rang bmw and told me they sell them for just under forty pound witch is ok but they said they need to know if I blower is bur or simens and I don't know and if anyone knows where else I can find this brown one it would be a great help

My Cars
    1991 bmw 520i auto e34
    hi again well i found my restior witch was brown for the velo heater system with my car has ive replaced it but still no heat other than the fourth full speed setting so any ideas where i should look next and what to try and get me heaters to work on all setting as the full is a bit much thanx eveyone

My Cars
    1994 BMW 525i
    My fan had slowly failed; sometimes working on all four settings, sometimes two, then only on high and started a random and loud high pitched squeal. I got the entire car for a grand a year and a half ago and have expected as much. I like it.
    The resistor replacement was 15 bucks on Amazon Prime, got it in two days. The old resistor was easy to find; just remove the single screw holding the carpeted panel above/right of the gas pedal. Getting the resistor out was another matter...
    It's locked in place with two plastic tabs that hold it's guts securely in front of the heater core.
    At 55 I found it almost impossible to contort my body upside down/sideways to get at it with two hands, but I managed this by extending the seat back and reclined to the max, then going in head first. I first removed the four-prong wire socket then used two flat tipped screwdrivers to pry out the tabs from the unit, wedging it from side to side and out. Painful but brief.
    Once the old resistor was retired I stuck a finger in the hole and felt 24 plus years of local tree parts. My finger was probing just in front of the heater core, and all around I could feel Palmetto Tree leaves and assorted organic debris wedged amidst the chamber. The old resistor looked somewhat burnt. Heat, electricity, and kindling, go figure.
    It was 25 degrees outside with a dry wind, so I was crabby in my friend's driveway when I borrowed his outdoor vacuum and portable air compressor/blower. It was tricky to both use suction and a compressed-air blower, but I managed to evac much of the crap wedged within thru repetitious, gentle force. Space was limited.
    Cold and done, I quickly clipped in the new resistor and started the car...Bada boom! The fan was multifunction and has not (so far) squealed.
    Tomorrow Im driving five hours east to the coast at 60-90, loaded. Maybe I'll stop for coffee. I love this car.

My Cars
    1993 and 1995 BMW 525i
    Old thread I know, but I need some help!!!

I change my resistor, I works for a few minutes on any speed and then for whatever reason, fails and only works on ‘4’. So I changed it out AGAIN, but didn’t install it back into the housing. I wants to see/feel what was going on. I expected the resistor to get hot given current was passing though it, but surely it’s not supposed to get GLOWING RED HOT??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast