Thread: 740il Alarm disabled car, won't start, how to reset?

My Cars
    02 WRX/STi Mutt, RX7 TT

Question 740il Alarm disabled car, won't start, how to reset?

I am looking to buy a 2000 740il. Current owner said that the security system disabled the car and it won't start. How can i diagnose this and know it is what he is saying? Can someone also tell how can i reset this or do i need to take it to a dealer? Thanks
    WRX/STI Rotated, 94 RX-7 TT 29k org miles, 540 Sport, Jeep Cherokee Sport Lifted, RSX Type-S, Mazda Miata

My Cars
    93 525iT,91 318i
    First thing to do is make sure the battery is good and putting out 12+ volts. Search the forum for "no start" or "won't start", "won't crank" etc. If that doesn't work and it's not a fuse or relay, more than likely it needs to go to a dealer or really good indy. May just be an EWS realign, may need some expensive electronics. You won't know until they hook it up. Ask the indy first if they can do the realign, most cannot. Going through this myself right now. Waiting to see if a new EWS (on order)fixes it.

My Cars
    02 WRX/STi Mutt, RX7 TT
    Well i am going to look at the car tomorrow, i am gonna go with some basic tool, OBDII code reader, i'll check the fuses, and then call dealer see what they say and guide me to at least get it cranked up. Car is not drivable so kind of rules out taking it to dealer.

Is it possible to reset the EWS without taking the car to dealer? I know in some cars you can turn the keys few times in ingnition without cranking the car and it resetes the factory security system.

Edit: hmmm just did some reading on EWS (i am about to pully my hair out lol) and seems like if EWS is fubared car def need to make a trip to Dealer, get diagnosed, either rested or replaces faulty parts.

He did tell me much he said his ex tried to get in the car and crank it with a disabled key. Now him insterting and trying to crank the car with activated key won't crank it either.
    Last edited by UpSideDownDesi; 02-15-2010 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    WRX/STI Rotated, 94 RX-7 TT 29k org miles, 540 Sport, Jeep Cherokee Sport Lifted, RSX Type-S, Mazda Miata

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    if it's EWS related it will not crank!

If it does crank there are other issues

EWS is dealer only or someone with the software

Have a technical question, don't send me a PM but post it on the board so others can benefit from it!

My Cars
    02 WRX/STi Mutt, RX7 TT

Angry

WOW talk about BS from Dealer.

Called Global Imports BMW down here and asked service adviser how much is it to reprogram EWS system?
    Adviser: "Don't know, bring the car in. We might have to replace the module."
    How much is it to replace the module with labor?
    Adviser: "Don't know bring the car in. I don't know much about EWS so going to let my technicians look at it. Starts at $125 just for us to look at the car."
    We i am at least 50 miles from the dealer ship and car is not drivealbe so if I at least take a OBDII code reader and read the codes off it and call in, can you tell me what the codes are for?
    Adriser: "Oh ya you should be able to do that, no problem, but i won't be able to tell you what codes are for. Only my technicians can do that. Bring the car in and let me look at it."

I know 1 place where i won't be taking the car if i do end up buying it. Seemed like just wanted to make some money and not answer simple questions.
    Last edited by UpSideDownDesi; 02-15-2010 at 10:24 AM.

My Cars
    93 525iT,91 318i
    Get used to it. If you have a bimmer, sooner or later you will end up at the dealer; if it's software/firmware count on it being sooner as the indy's just can't afford to keep up with the diagnostics upgrades. My guess is the owner knows exactly what's wrog with it & is being coy about it. Also, OBDII codes won't tell you anything about the EWS. And, be aware, if the owner has a code reader, he can always clear any OBDII codes he may have had, knowing full well that if the car won't start, they won't reset so you can read them.

My Cars
    02 WRX/STi Mutt, RX7 TT
    Quote Originally Posted by locknload View Post
    Get used to it. If you have a bimmer, sooner or later you will end up at the dealer; if it's software/firmware count on it being sooner as the indy's just can't afford to keep up with the diagnostics upgrades. My guess is the owner knows exactly what's wrog with it & is being coy about it. Also, OBDII codes won't tell you anything about the EWS. And, be aware, if the owner has a code reader, he can always clear any OBDII codes he may have had, knowing full well that if the car won't start, they won't reset so you can read them.
    I have no problem taking the car to dealer, was planning on taking straight to the dealership after purchse and let them do what needs to be done. I know OBDII won't read any of the EWS errors, need a bimmer scanner/laptop. I was just upset that dealer refused to help with basic codes i would have pulled. Called a BMW repair shop and they, "sure call us back with codes u pull, and i'll tell you what they are, but for EWS u need to bring it in." Yea i am having doubts about the owner and not interested in the car so much anymore. Don't want to pick it up then get 1 problem solved only to find 5 others lol.
    Last edited by UpSideDownDesi; 02-15-2010 at 12:47 PM.

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    question is does it crank at all?

When you try to start does the LED on the dash come on>?

Have a technical question, don't send me a PM but post it on the board so others can benefit from it!

anncam is offline BMW = Broke My Wallet BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    95 740IL, 04 Linc LS
    Quote Originally Posted by UpSideDownDesi View Post
    Yea i am having doubts about the owner and not interested in the car so much anymore. Don't want to pick it up then get 1 problem solved only to find 5 others lol.
    Smart move. Be patient and look around. The car you're buying should at the very least be able start up.

It's mind over matter.....
    If you don't mind then it really doesn't matter.

My Cars
    Royal Red Met 01' 740i spt,Topaz Blue Met 01' 530i

Caveat Emptor

Original comment to tfreeze a few weeks ago.

There are quite a few E38's with the options you want at a reasonable price.
    Shop around, you may have to make a road trip or three. These cars are not cheap to maintain. Eyes on and seat time are the best way to make an initial assessment followed by an independent inspection by a reputable BMW mechanic. Don't be blinded by glossy paint and shiny interiors. Wax and Armorall are cheap compared to new radiator, DSC modulator, front end rebuild, etc, etc. Scheduled maintenance and repair records are worth the extra money even if you are a DIY'er. I own 2, 2001 BMW's a 7 and 5 series. I shopped for about a year for the 7 ('06 purchase) and only 2 weeks for the 5 ('07 purchase). Both had history records with no surprises. No buyer's remorse here. As the saying goes "the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten".
    Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    02 WRX/STi Mutt, RX7 TT
    thanks for the help guys, i passed on the car. I am still looking for 740IL and a E39 M5.