Thread: 2005 325xi water pump questions

My Cars
    2005 325xi

2005 325xi water pump questions

Hello, I was informed about bad water pumps on Bmws. That the plastic impeller breaks. And they have since made pumps with composite impellers. How do I know what my pump has. Is there many problems with the 2005s. If so which brand should I use for replacing it. And should I go with a metal impeller. Thanks for any info. Dave

My Cars
    '06 ZHPCi, '04 A4 Avant
    Generally you can expect a waterpump to last 80-100k regardless of whether it has a plastic, composite, or metal impeller. This is talking about the BMW pumps, they all fail.

Or you can pony up $200 and buy the Stewart aftermarket water pump from UUC which comes with a limited lifetime warranty.

My Cars
    2003 325xi
    Your question is valid but of course there is the system to consider. The other weak links seem to be the expansion tank and fan clutches having failure leading to instant loss of fluid or a fan grenade.

You do the whole deal around 75K replacing all components listed often adding thermostat, belts, hoses etc. Some go with tensioner and idler pulleys while you're in there. Some suppliers offer cooling system kits that are discounted compared to individual items.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    I'll double check on Monday, but I'm pretty sure that BMW waterpumps are on their "lifetime warranty" list... along with starters, alternators and a bunch of other stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2005 325xi
    What do you mean lifetime warranty. From BMW dealer. Or autoparts place.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    BMW has a list of parts that come with a lifetime warranty when purchased on a customer pay basis through the dealer (meaning that the original part isn't lifetime warranty, but if you purchase one when the car is out of warranty, that part has a lifetime warranty).

I'll look tomorrow to see which of the parts have that lifetime warranty.
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2005 325i
    I recall hearing the waterpumps were improved over the lifetime of the e46 manufacturing, however I think the blade material is a bit of a red herring. Although the blades may break at the point of failure, the root cause of pump failure is due to the bearings wearing out causing the impeller to go off-axis and that breaks the blades.
    Fahrer von Alpinweiß

My Cars
    2003 325xi
    Yes, the newer OEM pumps are supposed to be fine. The Stewart has a mega bearing which is a bonus but they also increase flow where the jury is out on whether that's a benefit. Many have installed these with no issue but I wonder if they're worth the bucks?

I would buy a aluminum expansion tank if someone would make one under $200. Dream on, I know.

My Cars
    '06 ZHPCi, '04 A4 Avant
    Quote Originally Posted by kbok View Post
    I recall hearing the waterpumps were improved over the lifetime of the e46 manufacturing, however I think the blade material is a bit of a red herring. Although the blades may break at the point of failure, the root cause of pump failure is due to the bearings wearing out causing the impeller to go off-axis and that breaks the blades.
    +1, the waterpump on my sister's 525i (M54) made a knocking sound in the weeks before it failed.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Ok... here's the skinny on the BMW lifetime warranty parts.

They include: shocks, struts, mufflers, starters, alternators and water pumps.

The customer must purchase the part for it to qualify for the lifetime warranty - parts replaced under warranty or CPO do not qualify.

The part must be installed by a qualified dealer, parts sold over the counter or to wholesale accounts do not qulaify.

The warranty is in effect as long as the original purchaser of the part owns the vehicle.
    Last edited by Critter7r; 02-01-2010 at 02:31 PM.

My Cars
    2005 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post

The customer must purchase the part for it to qualify for the lifetime warranty - parts replaced under warranty or CPO do not qualify.

The part must be installed by a qualified dealer, parts sold over the counter or to wholesale accounts do not qulaify.

The warranty is in effect as long as the original purchaser of the part owns the vehicle.
    If I install myself, instead, I can buy 2-3 OEM pumps for the cost of dealer labor, or a Stewart with real heavy duty bearings. I'm leaning toward the latter. Its overkill, but less than most here seem to spend on cosmetic upgrades.
    Fahrer von Alpinweiß

My Cars
    2005 325xi
    Thanks alot for all the info. This is a great site. I'm sure I will be spending alot of time here. Thanks again.

My Cars
    1991ix
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post

I just called my local dealer to see about a new water pump under the lifetime warranty (it had already been replaced once and I clearly remember a brochure touting the benefit of the genuine BMW part) and they denied any such thing existed. In fact they denied it had ever existed.

A call to BMW NA elicited the exact same response. No lifetime warranty. Never was one.

My call to the other local dealer went the same way. No such warranty exists. Never did exist.

However after I insisted such a thing did in fact exist and applied to my water pump both agreed to investigate and call me back. Four days later I've yet to hear from either of them.

Its comforting to know that when you buy a premium car from a top flight international company they are going to be there to honor the warranty that is a part of the deal.