Thread: Rear Defrost not working

My Cars
    09 335i, 07 Cooper S

Rear Defrost not working

Hi,

1st post. I have an 09 335i. I used the rear defrost for the first time this week due to snow. I found that the top 3 lines never got hot so the snow remained there throughout the day. Someone who parks in the same lot as me at work has an 09 328i that didn't have the same problem.

The dealership is questionable since I live in Italy but drive a US spec vehicle. They claim that the top 3 lines are the radio antenna, not a heating element. Yet I have the standard compressed antenna on the roof.

Any ideas? Can someone else check their rear defrost to see if the top 3 lines get warm?

Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    '07 335i, '06 Z4M, '03M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jkubacz View Post
    Hi,

1st post. I have an 09 335i. I used the rear defrost for the first time this week due to snow. I found that the top 3 lines never got hot so the snow remained there throughout the day. Someone who parks in the same lot as me at work has an 09 328i that didn't have the same problem.

The dealership is questionable since I live in Italy but drive a US spec vehicle. They claim that the top 3 lines are the radio antenna, not a heating element. Yet I have the standard compressed antenna on the roof.

Any ideas? Can someone else check their rear defrost to see if the top 3 lines get warm?

Thanks in advance.
    Mine works all the way up. I think your dealer is telling porkies...
    2006 Z4M Coupe: Epic Software, CDV delete, Dinan Strut Brace, TCKline Coilovers, Hawk DTC 60's, Alcon BBK, RPI Scoop, Remus Exhaust, AC Schnitzer rear wing
    2007 335i: Dinan stage 3 software, Dinan stage 2 suspension, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan Oil cooler, Dinan Intercooler, UUC SSK and DSSR, K&N filter, BMW performance strut brace, BMW performance rear spoiler, BBS wheels, Super Sport Tyres, CDV delete, Dinan Cold Air Intake
    2003 M3 coilovers so far.....

It is seldom difficult to distinguish between a ray of sunshine and a Scotsman with a grievence. PG Woodhouse
    You're here for a good time not for a long time. Colin McRae
    It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations if you live near one. JRR Tolkien

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by duncan17 View Post
    Mine works all the way up. I think your dealer is telling porkies...

The top 3 lines are radio antenna, not defroster. Clear the snow off the top of the window and you'll see those 3 lines aren't melting any of the snow that you just cleared.

It's true, really. It's dumb, because the brake light stays covered in snow since those top 3 lines aren't melting anything, but it's true.

The roof antenna is for optional Navigation and Satellite radio, not terrestrial radio.
    Last edited by Critter7r; 12-24-2009 at 02:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    If I am not mistaken, there are vents in the back the push hot air onto the rear windshield, that is why they defrost so quickly. It is true the top line are not the defroster, you can see they are not connected to the bottom lines, but I believe the hit air does help in melting. I have never had a problem with the rear defrosting all the way even in -20F, but it does take longer for the top section to defrost. Who cares anyway, it doesn't interfere with visibility.
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)