Thread: How many dash light bulb locations are there?

My Cars
    1987 325es coupe

How many dash light bulb locations are there?

1985 318i issue:

At the same time, two sections of my dash lights went out. Portions of the dash lights still work. I've checked all fuses (all good), and no other electrical components are having issues. Looking in my Bentley manual, I cannot determine how the dash lights are arranged. I'm assuming I have two out, but I'm a little concerned that there is something else going on since they seem to have burned out simultaneously. Before I go to the trouble of taking apart the dash (seems fairly complicated) I want to have a plan.

Questions:
    Can someone tell me if there are specific bulbs that correspond to the photos I'm posting below. The yellow highlighting borders the areas that still work. Everything else is dark. Basically, these areas do not light: tach, water temp gauge, heater temp selector, left side of air control slider panel.

I might as well replace the NiCad memory battery while I'm at it. The Bentley manual, so good on most things, does not list any specific info about this battery. Does anyone know what battery I need, and approximately the cost for a new one?

Any other thoughts or suggestions before I tackle this repair?

Kind regards,
    Eric

My Cars
    1991 325i
    It's not too difficult to change the bulbs on your ride. Wouldn't worry about there being a deeper issue. Just change them and go.

Flip through the "E30 noobs please read for all DIY and FAQ" sticky post at the top of this forum and you should find all the info you're looking for.

Best Regards...
    Last edited by ngcreese; 12-07-2009 at 05:10 PM.
    '07 X3 3.0si
    '91 325i
    With mods...
    BMWCCA Member

My Cars
    1987 325is, e34, Z3, e39
    You likely only have a single W3W lamp that has burned out.

The instrument cluster uses orange-tinted "light pipes" to route light to the edges of the gauges and panel, so the two main lamps cover the whole area.

You likely only have a single W3W lamp that has burned out.

Normally I scoff at people replacing all of their lamps because one burnt out, but in this case you should replace both (qnty 2) of the main illumination lamps. They both have the same number of hours on them, and a difference in brightness would be obvious.

Always use 3 watt lamps. Never, ever use 5 watt lamps. The extra heat will toast the orange shrouds around the lamps, resulting in less light.

The BMW list price on small lamps is often competitive with chain parts stores.

Instrument cluster illumination -- larger wedge base lamps
    Osram 2821 12V 3W T10 wedge base
    Wedge base T10 size: 9.5-10.3mm diameter, 6.1mm long base, 20.7mm bulb
    Osram 2820 12V 2 watts -- interior illumination
    Osram 2821 12V 3 watts -- interior illumination, correct size
    Osram 2825 12V 5 watts -- exterior indicator, too hot for cluster
    Osram 2886 12V 6 watts

The HVAC controls are illuminated by two lamps. The lower right can be reached from the cubbyhole if you already know exactly where it is. The upper left requires removing the radio, but is easily seen once you do so.

Very small wedge base lamps used for HVAC, ashtray, console and some indicator lights
    07-50-9-063-579 Lamp, white or glass base
    63-21-7-167-000 New part number for 07-50-9-063-579 $2.60/2.08

Wedge base (T5 size): 5mm dia. 14.5mm long bulb, 4.6mm wide, 5.5mm long base
    Socket 2x4.6mm
    IEC 7004-94, DIN 49632 T1
    Osram 2721 1.2 watt 12V wedge base version, wire contacts

Osram 2322 30mA 12V-15V (about 0.4 watts) cooler, perhaps too dim
    Osram 2722 2.0 watt 12V higher power, hotter
    Osram 2723 2.3 watt 12V higher power, hotter
    Flosser 4191 12V 1.2W Clear
    Flosser 419106 1.2W Frosted
    Flosser 419116 30mA Frosted
    Flosser 419107 1.2W Amber
    Flosser 4191-08/33/34/35 1.2W Red/Blue/Green/Azure
    Flosser 4391/4691 2.0/2.3W brighter
    Flosser 6925 1.2W T5 w/ white PVC base

My Cars
    1987 325es coupe

Thumbs up

Very helpful, thank you both.

For anyone else reading this, the link mentioned above is useful, with some other interesting info as well. The direct link to the dash light article is:
    http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...eplacement.htm

I recommend also reviewing this article detailing dash replacement, as the photos on the first page show nearly everything detailed in the PelicanParts.com article:
    http://home.comcast.net/~cdeegan9/da...shboard_1.html

Second, no comments about the NiCad memory battery? I think I'll be replacing that while I'm in there. Hope it's not dealer-only or hard to find...

And last, while I'm here, what accessory (that I don't have) is controlled by the button to the right of the rear defogger? If I toggle it out, there's an orange color showing. I told my kids it's the light-speed button, but I don't think they believe me.

Thanks,
    Eric

P.S. Wow, the photos look pretty good now that I look back at them. Just go ahead and try to find me a 25-year old Honda or a Toyota with 217k miles that looks as good! Not a single crack or peel anywhere on the dash. Nice job, BMW.