Thread: ? running iPod cable through center console

My Cars
    99 M Roady Evergreen

? running iPod cable through center console

How much pain is going to be experienced if I run the iPod cable under the center console to the arm rest? Are there any secrets to do this?

My wife surprised me with the car stereo I was looking at from Crutchfield. Alpine CDA-105, Alpine KTP-445 power-pack and Polk Audio 5.25 component speakers. The HU comes with the necessary iPod cable for complete control from the HU.

My Cars
    99 M Roadster
    I did it to mine, it's not bad. If you want the cable in the console, you're going to have to cut a hole in the bottom. I pulled the carpet (in the console) up, then used a dremel on the plastic floor, then cut the carpet lining so it would lay flush on the floor and have the cable come through, then pulled the cable through and reglued the carpet down. Very clean.

My Cars
    1998 EJ207
    I didnt mess with the carpet at all, I just ran the cable past the shifter and dremeled a hole into the center console. No wires showing works great.

My Cars
    99 M Roady Evergreen
    How about getting the cable from the back of the radio down through the console. Did you have to remove the console or push it though some how?

My Cars
    1998 EJ207
    Quote Originally Posted by razingkane View Post
    How about getting the cable from the back of the radio down through the console. Did you have to remove the console or push it though some how?
    It took a bit of getting of pushing and arm scraping with a little bit of luck it comes through. Not the easiest thing to do but if you have smaller arms it should be easier. A wife/gf or small child is the best tool.

My Cars
    99 M Roady Evergreen
    Quote Originally Posted by Bren1 View Post
    It took a bit of getting of pushing and arm scraping with a little bit of luck it comes through. Not the easiest thing to do but if you have smaller arms it should be easier. A wife/gf or small child is the best tool.

Cool....Thanks

My Cars
    '10 MK6 GTI, '10 Outland

just sharing..

I have an aftermarket pioneer HU with the ipod interface adapter. i hid the adapter at the back of the glovebox and since i can access my ipod thru my HU i just cut a hole big enough to fit the ipod interface adapter lines from the back of my glovebox to the insides of the glovebox. That way my ipod is hidden away from anyones view and would enable me to just leave it there. Just something to consider though.