Thread: Car died. Please help diagnose...

My Cars
    1994 318ic, 2001 330cic

Car died. Please help diagnose...

OK. I've done a few searches here, but didn't find anything really suitable to help.

I have a 94 318ic 180,000 on it. I'm cruising along the other day and all of a sudden the thing just stops. I tried restarting, and for a few times it would idle (very roughly), but if I applied gas, it would die instantly. After a few minutes of just trying to idle it, it stopped all together and won't start back.

So, I assume either the fuel system or ignition system. Fuel pump fuse is OK, the plugs are fairly new, and the coils didn't look funky. Looking for suggestions on diagnosing the issue further.
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    2001 330cic

My Cars
    318I,CTSV,328IS,M3,135i
    Fuel filter? Or fuel pump not producing enough pressure.

My Cars
    11 335d, 03 325i
    My guess would be fuel pump. Doubt a fuel filter would just cut the car out suddenly. There should be diagnostics you can run to check if the pump is still working.
    Strömung Exhaust // Bilstein Sport/H&R Sport Suspension // Microsuede Interior // 6000k HIDs // Cosmos V2 Intake // Manual ZF Swap // Jim Conforti Chip

My Cars
    1994 318ic
    Try to start it, or even just turn on the switch so the fuel pump runs, then check for fuel pressure at the schraeder valve in the fuel rail if there is one, (looks like a tire valve). If there isn't one on your car you will have more trouble getting there. There should always be fuel under pressure in the lines. If not, then the pump is not pumping.
    "try not to set yourself on fire"

My Cars
    1994 318ic, 2001 330cic
    Thanks, I'll start with the fuel pump tests. Does anyone have a pic of where this Schraeder Valve is located? Should I change the filter at the same time?
    2001 330cic

My Cars
    11 335d, 03 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by highlandfling View Post
    Thanks, I'll start with the fuel pump tests. Does anyone have a pic of where this Schraeder Valve is located? Should I change the filter at the same time?
    Might as well change the filter. Couldn't hurt, and odds are it is past due.
    Strömung Exhaust // Bilstein Sport/H&R Sport Suspension // Microsuede Interior // 6000k HIDs // Cosmos V2 Intake // Manual ZF Swap // Jim Conforti Chip

paulrhein is offline License Revoked BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    1994 325ic-2001 330i
    I didn't see it mentioned but is there gas in the car?

My Cars
    1994 318ic, 2001 330cic
    Yes, Paul, gas in the car. About 1/4 tank, mid-grade.
    2001 330cic

My Cars
    11 335d, 03 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by highlandfling View Post
    Yes, Paul, gas in the car. About 1/4 tank, mid-grade.
    You laugh, but my girlfriend's roommate called me needing me to diagnose a non-starting Explorer. After checking the fuses and figuring she needed a fuel pump, I grabbed a gas container, gave it a little gas, and it started right up.

I was glad it was an easy fix. I told her the high-octane ignition source delivery system was low on fluid.

My Cars
    Rx7, 318i
    any update on this?? my 97 318i is having the same issues...and i won't have time to check it until this weekend.