Thread: Do I Have Alarm/Keyless Entry Installed?

My Cars
    06 Tundra, 96 328ic

Do I Have Alarm/Keyless Entry Installed?

I bought a 1996 328ic last week. I want to install an alarm/keyless entry. I have the sticker in the trunk that says prewired for alarm. After spending some time learning more about the car, I note that it has the glass break sensor/LED on the console and the siren in the engine compartment (part # 82 11 1 467 019).

Prior owner (2nd owner) says to her knowledge it does not have an alarm/keyless entry and does not have any fobs.

I have 2 questions.

1. Does "prewired" include the siren and glass beak sensor? I'm thinking that it does not and that I actually have an alarm/keyless entry installed.

2. Under the assumption that the alarm brain is installed, where is a good place to buy fobs?

Thanks for any help.

My Cars
    97 318is 5spd
    prewired is wired only, no siren or sensors or brain.

for your second question, fobs are on ebay pretty often.

Driving is a spectacular form of amnesia. Everything is to be discovered, everything to be obliterated.

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i

Alarm

Pull your glove box. Look at the lower panel and see if you have the alarm brain installed. That is the typical location. Look around if it is not on that panel to see where it might be. Do you know what it looks like?
    See the pictures and the brain is to the left, it should look like that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    06 Tundra, 96 328ic
    In order to know the answer to my question, I will, for sure, have to pull the glove box. I will bet that the brain is in there. I have already purchased an aftermarket alarm from United Auto Security. If I do have the BMW brain in there, I may just pull it out and go with the aftermarket. I just can't imagine having a working unit already installed with no mention of that by previous owner.

Thanks for all the help.

My Cars
    11 335d, 03 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike4AU View Post
    In order to know the answer to my question, I will, for sure, have to pull the glove box. I will bet that the brain is in there. I have already purchased an aftermarket alarm from United Auto Security. If I do have the BMW brain in there, I may just pull it out and go with the aftermarket. I just can't imagine having a working unit already installed with no mention of that by previous owner.

Thanks for all the help.
    It most likely works just has no fobs. Go aftermarket anyways, as the technology in there now is 20 years old.
    Str๖mung Exhaust // Bilstein Sport/H&R Sport Suspension // Microsuede Interior // 6000k HIDs // Cosmos V2 Intake // Manual ZF Swap // Jim Conforti Chip

My Cars
    06 Tundra, 96 328ic
    Quote Originally Posted by jijacob View Post
    It most likely works just has no fobs. Go aftermarket anyways, as the technology in there now is 20 years old.
    You are exactly correct! That's why, amongh other reasons, is why I am pretty sure I will install the UAS aftermarket alarm/keyless entry.

Thanks for all the help.

My Cars
    11 335d, 03 325i
    You are exactly correct! That's why, amongh other reasons, is why I am pretty sure I will install the UAS aftermarket alarm/keyless entry.

Thanks for all the help.
    Do you have a harness adapter or do you have to do the wiring yourself?
    Str๖mung Exhaust // Bilstein Sport/H&R Sport Suspension // Microsuede Interior // 6000k HIDs // Cosmos V2 Intake // Manual ZF Swap // Jim Conforti Chip

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    If you choose to remove the factory unit I suggest that you borrow a friends key FOB and try to program the alarm. It is the alarm that learns the key FOB. If it works you can than remove the alarm brain and resell if as good. Same with the harness if you choose to build your own.
    It is quite common to find factory alarms with no key FOBs in these cars as I bet you never got all 3 keys either when you bought this car...

My Cars
    06 Tundra, 96 328ic
    The United Auto Security unit is pretty much plug and play...includes the harness, etc.

And I did not get all the keys....just 2 of them. I may try to find someone with a fob...good thought...thx.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    You want this one...remote+alarm in a singel key/fob. No stupid seperate key and fob.

1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinwei฿ III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    97 M3
    ^ That key will not work on obd2 e36s.

You need the round key fob with two buttons. I had my e36 for years before I bought a fob and programmed it. TOok a while to program but now works great.

p.s. The glass break sensor is located on the actual unti. Yours is on your dash are you sure?

My Cars
    None
    How hard is it to install an alarm / keyless entry if your E36 is prewired? Is it just a matter of plugging the brain up? I can only find tutorials for the car not being prewired.

Thanks.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by MJFX328
    ^ That key will not work on obd2 e36s....
    Just for the record, that is my actual key.

Euro OBDII, with factory (not dealer) installed alarm/remote locking.
    Option #302.

No seperate alarm module in the car. Which also includes the Euro LED >

Last edited by MParallel; 10-27-2009 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Oops double post.

IG:

My Cars
    06 Tundra, 96 328ic
    Quote Originally Posted by MJFX328 View Post
    p.s. The glass break sensor is located on the actual unti. Yours is on your dash are you sure?
    The *microphone* for the glass break sensor is on the knockout tab that also has the red led on it.

My Cars
    97 318is 5spd
    Quote Originally Posted by dcope View Post
    How hard is it to install an alarm / keyless entry if your E36 is prewired? Is it just a matter of plugging the brain up? I can only find tutorials for the car not being prewired.

Thanks.
    weird... all the tutorials i found were for the car being pre-wired. i've never seen an e36 that wasn't prewired. you just have to locate 2 plugs behind the glove box, plug those in, run the LED to the console area, and plug the siren in under the hood.

Driving is a spectacular form of amnesia. Everything is to be discovered, everything to be obliterated.

My Cars
    97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    Just for the record, that is my actual key.

Euro OBDII, with factory (not dealer) installed alarm/remote locking.
    Option #302.
    Dude euro doesnt count. You guys get everything.

p.s. If you have a siren, you have an alarm. Just buy the fob and lookup the silly program instructions.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by MJFX328 View Post
    Dude euro doesnt count. You guys get everything. ...
    Ain't life fair?

IG:

My Cars
    BMW 318is
    The United Auto Security unit is pretty much plug and play...includes the harness, etc.

And I did not get all the keys....just 2 of them. I may try to find someone with a fob...good thought...thx.
    I would like to know how you go with their alarm. I was considering getting one of their systems.

My Cars
    06 Tundra, 96 328ic
    Quote Originally Posted by jarozila View Post
    I would like to know how you go with their alarm. I was considering getting one of their systems.
    I will PM ya when I am done. I may not be able to get to it for a couple of weeks.

My Cars
    BMW 318is
    I will PM ya when I am done. I may not be able to get to it for a couple of weeks.
    Thanks. No rush. Let me know what system you put in.