Thread: resetting oil light for 328XI 2008 push button start?

My Cars
    2008 bmw 328XI

resetting oil light for 328XI 2008 push button start?

I have a 2008 bmw 328xi plz keep that in mind as old techniques for resetting the oil light in earlier models dont work with mine. Im past my lease miles and am doing my own oil change this weekend. I read with older model you put the key in position 1 but dont start it and hold the odometer button etc on and off, i did this and well the triangle for its gonna snow came up, and then a few codes like k1sdei2 kinda similar to that, needless to say i couldnt reset it, whats the magic trick, im desperate and not taking my car to the dealer or some idiot at jiffy lube. Any help would be great.

My Cars
    991.1 / 958.2
    Step 1
    Insert key into slot
    Step 2
    Press start/stop button without depressing clutch/brake and wait for the service reminder to dissapear.
    Step 3
    Immediately after service reminder goes out, press and hold the odometer reset. After 3 secs a warning triangle will appear, keep the odo. button pressed and after another 2-3 secs the Oil can will appear. I f you hold it too long (10 secs in total) you will overshoot the runway and some German writing will appear giving the software level/ can bus etc. of the car. Go back to the beginning and start again.
    Step 4
    You are now in the service menu, use the toggle switch on indicator stalk to scroll up/down through the various service items.
    Step 5
    When you have the item you want to reset showing, press the BC button on end of indicator stalk. Reset should now appear in the display. Press in and hold the BC button for 2-3 secs and a clock will start whirling around and hey presto, its done
    Step 6
    You can now either scroll up/down to select another item (as in step 4) or you can press the start/stop button to exit.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 535i/5
    Um....why not take it to the dealership? Your oil changes are free for 4 years/50,000 miles, unless you are doing an in between oil chance, in which case you shouldn't reset the indicator anyways. I mean I understand if you do oil changes in between the 15k/mi service, but if your dealership is really THAT bad, then just go to another one!

I mean if you REALLY want to pay for all the oil changes, then feel free. I believe you reset them by bringing up the oil service light up on the dash with the "BC" button and dial, then once it is up (telling you when it is due) then just press and hold the BC button until it resets.

My Cars
    2008 bmw 328XI
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfStrong View Post
    Um....why not take it to the dealership? Your oil changes are free for 4 years/50,000 miles, unless you are doing an in between oil chance, in which case you shouldn't reset the indicator anyways. I mean I understand if you do oil changes in between the 15k/mi service, but if your dealership is really THAT bad, then just go to another one!

I mean if you REALLY want to pay for all the oil changes, then feel free. I believe you reset them by bringing up the oil service light up on the dash with the "BC" button and dial, then once it is up (telling you when it is due) then just press and hold the BC button until it resets.
    Im already at 53K and they want like 125 for the oil change..

Quote Originally Posted by ss109 View Post
    Step 1
    Insert key into slot
    Step 2
    Press start/stop button without depressing clutch/brake and wait for the service reminder to dissapear.
    Step 3
    Immediately after service reminder goes out, press and hold the odometer reset. After 3 secs a warning triangle will appear, keep the odo. button pressed and after another 2-3 secs the Oil can will appear. I f you hold it too long (10 secs in total) you will overshoot the runway and some German writing will appear giving the software level/ can bus etc. of the car. Go back to the beginning and start again.
    Step 4
    You are now in the service menu, use the toggle switch on indicator stalk to scroll up/down through the various service items.
    Step 5
    When you have the item you want to reset showing, press the BC button on end of indicator stalk. Reset should now appear in the display. Press in and hold the BC button for 2-3 secs and a clock will start whirling around and hey presto, its done
    Step 6
    You can now either scroll up/down to select another item (as in step 4) or you can press the start/stop button to exit.
    i will try this today and let you know if it works.. thx

Quote Originally Posted by ss109 View Post
    Step 1
    Insert key into slot
    Step 2
    Step 3
    Step 4
    Step 5
    Step 6
    now after reading that i must have almost had it, i had the traingle appear and i also had all that writing appear of codes.. the BC button is what?

success it worked , thx man
    Last edited by stevez33; 10-03-2009 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2007 530xi
    I have a 2007 530xi with push button start that I just purchased second hand.

Here's my problem with the trouble light reset solution you posted:
    You mention a toggle switch in Step 4 - I don't seem to have a toggle switch, but I could cycle through the icons by pressing the trip odometer reset button repeatedly. Anyway, I got the the change engine oil icon that way and pressed the BC button per Step 5, but no "Reset" icon appeared, so nothing happened.

I'm hoping you have a sugestion for me. I'm in Juneau, Alaska with literally no way to drive to the nearest dealership. Juneau has no roads out so I would have to ship the car out to get this fixed, and the dealership will offer no help.

Thanks, and sorry to bother you

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    I say if you can't get it to reset, just leave I and keep track of your next oil change interval the old fashioned way erring on the side of caution, that shouldn't cause any issues. Or if you end up having to go to the dealer for another more serious or critical issue, they can reset it then.
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    2007 530xi
    I was able to solve the problem. Here's how:

1. Insert smart key, press start button (do not step on brake to start car)

2. Wait for warning lights to go out on dash

3. Press down trip odometer button on dash until the first service warning light icon appears (approx 10 seconds)

4. Release and repeat to scroll through icons until you get the one needing resetting

5. Press trip odometer a few seconds until “Reset?” appears.

6. Release and press again briefly

Red icon goes to yellow and function is reset

Thanks to all of you who offered help, I'm now an expert harard light resetter and don't need to ship my car to Seattle to get this annoyance taken care of.

My Cars
    E90 330i/6, '30 ford cou
    For E9x vehicles:

1. Switch on the ignition
    2. Press and hold the trip meter button for 10 seconds until the 1st maintenance service appears.
    3. Select the maintenance operation requesting to reset with the rocker switch on the turn signal stalk.
    4. To reset, press the BC button on the turn signal stalk until “RESET” appears.
    5. By pressing and holding the BC button on the turn signal stalk, the selected maintenance will be reset.
    6. When resetting an icon of a clock will appear.
    7. The operation is complete when a checked icon has appeared next to the word “RESET".

Works on pre-September-05 cars (mine) to present.
    Last edited by Blue330i2006; 02-14-2010 at 03:09 AM. Reason: English

I would rather be judged by 12, than carried by six!

My Cars
    toyota
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue330i2006 View Post
    For E9x vehicles:

1. Switch on the ignition
    2. Press and hold the trip meter button for 10 seconds until the 1st maintenance service appears.
    3. Select the maintenance operation requesting to reset with the rocker switch on the turn signal stalk.
    4. To reset, press the BC button on the turn signal stalk until “RESET” appears.
    5. By pressing and holding the BC button on the turn signal stalk, the selected maintenance will be reset.
    6. When resetting an icon of a clock will appear.
    7. The operation is complete when a checked icon has appeared next to the word “RESET".

Works on pre-September-05 cars (mine) to present.
    very easy video instructions step by step http://youtu.be/ZJG335zSDew?list=UUJ...7xPXGMr3lG1aXw