Thread: Water Pump Replacement Cost

My Cars
    528i

Water Pump Replacement Cost

So I was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience as to how much it costs to have a water pump replaced at the dealer?

I'm currently replacing my own water pump (plus other items)...but was wondering how much the dealer charges (parts & labor) versus what it will cost me doing it myself.

I'm trying to impress upon my wife how much money I'm saving her (or us) by doing it myself.

FYI...I've been doing my own auto mechanic repairs for almost 30 years...but sometimes the wife needs a little reminder every now & then as to the savings.

Thanks,

- Nick

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    I did mine also. Figure a dealer is going to be at least $110 an hour. Perhaps a 2 to 3 hour job? Can't go by my time since it takes me a while. Maybe you're saving $300 or so?

My Cars
    2000 540i
    Just had this done this week at a dealer; was $1200, though that also included a new thermostat and belt replacement.

My Cars
    99 540i/6, 04 XC90
    Just had belts, waterpump, rear brakes, CDV delete, tranny and rear end fluids done with Royal Purple for $818 at my local mechanic.

My Cars
    528i
    Quote Originally Posted by herothezero View Post
    Just had this done this week at a dealer; was $1200, though that also included a new thermostat and belt replacement.
    Yeah...I'm also:

- replacing the belts
    - replacing thermostat
    - and repacking the grease in all three idler & tension pulley's

So I would say that $1200 dollar estimate would work for me as well.

Thanks a ton for your reply,

- Nick

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    I would simply replace the pullies and tensioners...that is what I am doing at 133k miles, along with every other critcal coolant part (radiator, water pump, fan clutch, expansion tank, coolant hoses, heater hoses, etc, etc.)

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528i msport
    tensioner, ideal pully, thermostat housing, water pump(shouldnt cost more then 200 for part oem) windshield washer pump and a coolant hose for 730$. why are you guys going for such high labor prices. BMW national master technition 55 an hour labor charges. (if i pay in cash)
    dont just change the water pump becasus your going to have to replace other stuff as well like previously listed and post above. if your going to do it get it all done at once and save one labor charges next time. Good luck and dont wait to long to figure out what your going to do, n if so try not to drive the car so much
    JOHN 3:16

My Cars
    528i
    Quote Originally Posted by f355spider View Post
    I would simply replace the pullies and tensioners...that is what I am doing at 133k miles, along with every other critcal coolant part (radiator, water pump, fan clutch, expansion tank, coolant hoses, heater hoses, etc, etc.)
    My 1998 528i only has about 65,000 miles on it...so my idler & tension pulleys do not have quite a much wear on them as yours. In one of the DIY write-ups here...it was mentioned that the pulley's could be repacked with fresh grease...and if done around 60-80k miles...that you could extend their life much much longer.

I would agree that if my BMW has 133k miles on it...replacement of the pulley's would probably be a good idea.

- Nick

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    Pigoo,

Here is my DIY Cooling Overhaul for my 1998 528i if you need info:
    www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/199986

I constantly remind my wife how much money I save for her by DIYs on our cars in the family, but she seems to care more about what I save for her 2007 Honda Odyssey van maintenance than my E39 DIY.

She sees me messing more with my E39 than the van but the van is 2 yrs old, the E39 is 11 yrs old.......ROFL....
    Talking about under-appreciated husbands: You (Pigoo) and me.... It takes 2 to tango...hehe...
    Last edited by cnn; 09-12-2009 at 09:04 AM.

My Cars
    528i
    Quote Originally Posted by cnn View Post
    Pigoo,

Here is my DIY Cooling Overhaul for my 1998 528i if you need info:
    www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/199986

I constantly remind my wife how much money I save for her by DIYs on our cars in the family, but she seems to care more about what I save for her 2007 Honda Odyssey van maintenance than my E39 DIY.

She sees me messing more with my E39 than the van but the van is 2 yrs old, the E39 is 11 yrs old.......ROFL....
    Talking about under-appreciated husbands: You (Pigoo) and me.... It takes 2 to tango...hehe...
    CNN,

Thanks for the link to your DIY. Yes..I have already been using it...it's one of the two DIY's that I have been following...and it has helped quite a bit.

And if nothing else...the most important single detail in the whole DIY is that the fan nut is reverse threads!!! Someone trying to do this job for the first time could REALLY be frustrated trying to get that fan nut off if they didn't know it was reverse threads. And basically, if you can't get the fan nut loose...you can't get the job done!!!

BTW...I posted in another thread that I thought that your DIY was very helpful...but I had one suggestion to make it even better...and that was to include the torque specs for all of the fasteners.

We of course are already covering this little detail in another thread!

Regarding the "unappreciated" husband part. Yes the wives sometimes don't appreciate the money we save doing the DIY auto stuff.

My wife came home Tuesday night telling me her car was

- leaking coolant
    - temp. gauge was "pegged" on the hot end
    - she had the battery light on, the alternator light on, and had no power steering

So the first thing I said was in a very calm & "no problem" sort of way was..."Well sounds like you broke a belt."...which would not have been a very big deal to replace.

But upon closer inspection I noticed that the fan & water pump shaft had a TON of play in it...and immediately knew that the water pump was shot..and the play probably caused the belt to break...or at least slowly deteriorate it till it finally broke.

Which of course is a much bigger job.

But the whole time I was calm, cool, and collected about it..and so my wife probably thought...ooh, no big deal...Nick will take care of it! Leading to the under appreciation factor!!

So that's why I started this thread...since I haven't been to the dealer in a very long time...I was curious what people were getting charged for this sort of repair.

Thanks for jumping in,

- Nick

p.s. By the way...my wife said that the whole problem started about 2 miles from our home...so I'm hoping no serious damage was done! (fingers crossed).
    Last edited by Pigoo; 09-12-2009 at 10:35 AM.