Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dynamic Drive Warning

My Cars
    BMW 545

Dynamic Drive Warning

Have a 2005 545, 6 Speed and about a week ago got a warning message there was a problem with the Dynamic Drive. I stopped the car, turned the engine off, then restarted it. And the warning was gone. Then about five miles later it reappeared.

And it has been doing this ever since. So, I took it to the local BMW Service Center and they say it appears to be a low voltage problem but are unsure how to solve it. They do not believe there is an actual problem with the Dynamic Drive just this periodic low voltage issue.

And I noticed today that, just before the warning message appeared, the air conditioning stopped. And about five seconds later, restarted. So, I’m beginning to suspect something in the A/C system is causing the voltage fault.

Anybody ever have this problem?

My Cars
    535i
    Never heard of it, but i wouldnt take the care back until they fix it!

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    more than likely you have a battery issue. low voltage causes all kinds of problems. first thing to be cut off is the a/c and some lights. id the battery orig, if it is than it is bad/weak. check your battery connections. Do you leave anything plugged into teh lighter like phone, radar, i-pod,etc. if so unplug them when car is turned off.

deff take it back and get them to run a energy diag on your car. it will put them in the ball park of where the prob is
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    94 GMC sonoma 4x4 - hpd30/8.8 - toy
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)
    01 Pontiac WS6 - Garage Queen
    12 RAM CC Hemi powered - new DD

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    2001 530i
    Do they still have the Final Stage Resistor on these? They are notorious for draining batteries.

My Cars
    2006 550i
    Hi, I would appreciate it if you could keep me in the loop on this issue. I have a 2006 550i and had a similar experience. The warning indicator went away after I turned off the car and has not reappeared since but I am concerned it will return. I appreciate any guidance should you receive it. Thanks.

My Cars
    2004 545i

Same here

Something very similar is happening to me. Mine is a litle worse. First I get a message that says "Dynamic Drive Malfunction", followed by "flat tire monitor disabled", followed by "Active Steering Disabled", followed by "Contol Systems Malfunction". Restarting the car doesn't immediately make the messages go away. I have to let it sit for at least a few minutes. It definitely seems to happen when the electrical system is under moderate use. For example when my headlights are on, cd player is on, or when a/c is on blast. When the "Control System" message comes on, my instrument panel shuts down, no speedometer. It also seems to happen when I'm driving aggressively (redlining in first and shifting to second).

I went in to my BMW dealership for an oil change and they said the computer was due for some type of computer diagnostic check. The check showed some low voltage faults, but they tested the battery and it seemed fine.

I should note, I had the car for 30 days before this started happening. I NAILED a big pothole and then a day or two later this started happening.

My car isn't under warranty, so I'm afraid this is gonna cost me a ton of money. If anybody has any insight, please help.

Thanks,

Nate
    2004 545i - Six Speed Manual

Edit: forgot to mention, one day about 2 weeks ago got a message saying the Alternator Malfunctioned. This message only came when I stopped at a light, then went away when I accelerated. The next time I stopped and restarted the car, it went away and never came back on since.
    Last edited by nbartlet; 09-20-2009 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Additional info

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    there is a MPM (micro processing module) in the trunk under the foam that is under the spare tire. these trunks are famous for leaking which in turns soaks this module. take look at this module. If your has water/corrosion in it it needs replaced, bad part is the part has to be coded to the car for it to work so a trip to someone that has BMW software (dealer) is in order
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    94 GMC sonoma 4x4 - hpd30/8.8 - toy
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)
    01 Pontiac WS6 - Garage Queen
    12 RAM CC Hemi powered - new DD

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    05 bmw545i SMG cla
    if anybody knoew dynamic malfunction control, im having problems with it and i would really appreciated if anyone has information or know anything about it. please help!!! thank you

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by albert24 View Post
    if anybody knoew dynamic malfunction control, im having problems with it and i would really appreciated if anyone has information or know anything about it. please help!!! thank you
    Albert,
    Welcome to the forums.

FYI, the "report post" button... ... is generally used to report offensive or off topic (OT) posts.

My Cars
    2004 545i

2004 545i Dynamic Drive Malfunction is the battery!!

I dealt with the same issue where, periodically, I'd get the Dynamic Drive malfunction warning while cruising at freeway speed. BMW (Salt lake City) checked the issue out a few times before realizing that my battery was testing "ok" but needed to be replaced (4+ years old).

Replacing the battery will fix the issue I'm fairly certain. Mine tested "ok" but was (for whatever reason) not keep a constant voltage on all systems.
    BMW indicated that my aftermarket Ipod Retrofit adapter kit had most likely caused my battery to "slowly die" and cause these other issues because the "Dymamic Drive malfunction" warning was only appearing when my Ipod was attached.

Anyway, I've come across several forums since resolving my issue where others have had the same problems and the battery was the hidden culprit (always on 2004-2005 models).

Good luck!

My Cars
    '07 550i
    My '07 550i goes to the dealership tomorrow morning to find out why, after traveling less than 100 yards, I get a warning for the Driver Stability and Launch Control. Both become disabled. I'll post what's found.

My Cars
    05 bmw545i SMG cla
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeyc View Post
    Have a 2005 545, 6 Speed and about a week ago got a warning message there was a problem with the Dynamic Drive. I stopped the car, turned the engine off, then restarted it. And the warning was gone. Then about five miles later it reappeared.

And it has been doing this ever since. So, I took it to the local BMW Service Center and they say it appears to be a low voltage problem but are unsure how to solve it. They do not believe there is an actual problem with the Dynamic Drive just this periodic low voltage issue.

And I noticed today that, just before the warning message appeared, the air conditioning stopped. And about five seconds later, restarted. So, I’m beginning to suspect something in the A/C system is causing the voltage fault.

Anybody ever have this problem?
    yes ihav the sim problem itook to bmw and they sat it alternator,cause awarnig lamp to light up

My Cars
    525i/M20B25

Dynamic Drive

I agree with 02325, MPM can be the culprit in some cases. The other parts that can fail or have problems are in the Dynamic Drive Valve Block or in the control module itself. There are proportioning valves in the Valve Block that can over time become clogged. The solenoids on the valve block have also been known to go bad. I have also seen the active front or rear swaybars need replacement. The system isnt bulletproof by any means. A proper reset (turning the car off and on) will make the system operational again but depending on the issue it will more than likely return.

If the faults show up while driving and causing the chassis to flex (entering driveways or taking sharp turns) its usually an issue with the system itself.

My Cars
    '07 550i
    In my case, the computer control module needing replacing and a complete software reload. Good luck.

My Cars
    2005 545i
    That happened to me when I left my parking lights on all day while I was at work. The car started but apparently not enough juice to activate the hydraulics on the Dynamic Drive. After a few minutes, I stopped/restarted the car and it was fine.

-2005 545i (3/2009-Current)
    -1994 C280 (12/2003-4/2009)

My Cars
    2004 545i

Fixed

Quick Update: I had the Alternator and the Intelligent Battery Switch (IBS) replaced and the car is fine now. Been driving it for a few weeks and haven't had a single problem. Also, I found that whoever owned the car before me replaced the battery, but didn't register the battery with the car. I almost wonder if that could have been the source of the problem. Maybe I could have saved a thousand bucks or so. Oh well, she's running like a champ again.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 745LI

This could be IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by thesasquatch View Post
    I dealt with the same issue where, periodically, I'd get the Dynamic Drive malfunction warning while cruising at freeway speed. BMW (Salt lake City) checked the issue out a few times before realizing that my battery was testing "ok" but needed to be replaced (4+ years old).

Replacing the battery will fix the issue I'm fairly certain. Mine tested "ok" but was (for whatever reason) not keep a constant voltage on all systems.
    BMW indicated that my aftermarket Ipod Retrofit adapter kit had most likely caused my battery to "slowly die" and cause these other issues because the "Dymamic Drive malfunction" warning was only appearing when my Ipod was attached.

Anyway, I've come across several forums since resolving my issue where others have had the same problems and the battery was the hidden culprit (always on 2004-2005 models).

Good luck!
    Changing battery (and registering) is now on my To Do list.

My Cars
    89 535iM, 05 545i Sport w/SMG
    I had the same messages/symptoms as you. At first my indy registered my OEm battery that I replaced 3 months earlier. The following day the same messages appeared, he connected it to the BMW computer and i said my alternator was overcharging the electrical system. I replaced the alternator the following day and i have seen any messages or hiccups in 7 weeks.

My Cars
    2004 545i
    are these hiccups damaging? 66k i need a new alt. what's with these things? and all i can find is 650 dealer or 430 reman of the same thing. i'd like something else; napa and autozone have them in their stores for like 250, but the problem is you can't buy them as they don't actually have them anywhere.
    2013 BRZ | 2004 WRX Wagon
    http://www.igobyplane.com - travel hack, credit card, auto experience blog
    past: E36 M3, E34 535i, E60 545i

My Cars
    2004 BMW 545i
    I have the same problem
    2004 BMW 545i i want to autozone and they check the battery
    And it was good, but the alternator was not,
    So i got one, after replacing the alternator*
    I m stall having problems, the computer screen flash on and off
    All the lights come on like a christmas, *transmission fault, flat tire, I mean all the lights come on if I shot off the car I got to get a jump
    The battery goes down, it runs like crap,, the engine light comes on
    And it says The Transmission fault. and then I have to charge the battery to get it to start again,, I was reading about the IVM
    Were is it located ? And how do I do my self if that's is the problem*
    Please help me I'm running out of money
    Someone that knows thank you, gbu

My Cars
    2004 BMW 545i
    Quote Originally Posted by nbartlet
    Quick Update: I had the Alternator and the Intelligent Battery Switch (IBS) replaced and the car is fine now. Been driving it for a few weeks and haven't had a single problem. Also, I found that whoever owned the car before me replaced the battery, but didn't register the battery with the car. I almost wonder if that could have been the source of the problem. Maybe I could have saved a thousand bucks or so. Oh well, she's running like a champ again.
    What is ibs ? Where can I find it on my car?

Sent from my iPad using BF.com

My Cars
    2005 545i

Low Voltage issues

I have been experencieng same issueson my 2005 545i,Started with Dynamic Drive malfunction.I brought the car to dealer after while driving I lost speedo heads-up display, Navi locked up and a host of other warnings.The dealer told me that I had an overvoltage issue and needed to replace the Alternator.I since have replaced the Alternator and battery,and am having the same issues.When the car is cold I get uner 12 volts ,11 in change when measured with my meter,After warming up the car and revving the engine a few times I shut off the car and restart it ,all the warnings go away and I get 14 volts. what could cause a low voltage issue when the car is cold?

My Cars
    BMW 645 CI 05'

645 CI all electirc systems faultt

Quote Originally Posted by nbartlet View Post
    Something very similar is happening to me. Mine is a litle worse. First I get a message that says "Dynamic Drive Malfunction", followed by "flat tire monitor disabled", followed by "Active Steering Disabled", followed by "Contol Systems Malfunction". Restarting the car doesn't immediately make the messages go away. I have to let it sit for at least a few minutes. It definitely seems to happen when the electrical system is under moderate use. For example when my headlights are on, cd player is on, or when a/c is on blast. When the "Control System" message comes on, my instrument panel shuts down, no speedometer. It also seems to happen when I'm driving aggressively (redlining in first and shifting to second).

I went in to my BMW dealership for an oil change and they said the computer was due for some type of computer diagnostic check. The check showed some low voltage faults, but they tested the battery and it seemed fine.

I should note, I had the car for 30 days before this started happening. I NAILED a big pothole and then a day or two later this started happening.

My car isn't under warranty, so I'm afraid this is gonna cost me a ton of money. If anybody has any insight, please help.

Thanks,

Nate
    2004 545i - Six Speed Manual

Edit: forgot to mention, one day about 2 weeks ago got a message saying the Alternator Malfunctioned. This message only came when I stopped at a light, then went away when I accelerated. The next time I stopped and restarted the car, it went away and never came back on since.
    Hi Nate,

I know this thread goes back to 2009 but was wondering if you had this issues resolved?
    I've been experiencing same electrix problems on my 2005 645 CI and BMW in Madrid said they don't know how to fix it! grrrrr
    When the car is cold, everything is ok, but after ~30min of drive all systems start failing (dynamic drive, active steeering wheel, gearbox etc.). What's worse, air-con starts & stops intermittenly, same with the navi screen.
    My battery was already replaced (by BMW so it was registered) but nothing else.

Please help!

My Cars
    2007 BMW 65OI
    Hi pawllp7,

I saw your post ,Nate mentioned that after the replacement of the alternator and IBS (intelligent battery switch) the issue resolved itself.
    That may be the path to explore

I have a 07 650I ci and recently experienced a similar issue. Ie 'Active Steering malfunction'. Diagnostics showed low-voltage condition faults. When the low voltage conditions are detected, the car starts turning systems off and rund a higher engine idle speed until the level of voltage in the system is adequate. After a trip to my local dealer and a the replacement battery resolved it for me.
    Im fortunate that my issue was straightforward.

Good luck

My Cars
    2004 BMW 545i

Happened when i had a smog test

This happen to me when i got my 545i smogged and when I drove off it said Dynamic Drive malfunction. The computer told me to power down the car so it reset and it went away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast