Thread: How to reset oil change lights?

My Cars
    1994 BMW 318i

How to reset oil change lights?

Hey, I'm sorry to ask this, but I wanted to make sure.

I have yet to actually change my B'mer's oil myself. Obviously, I haven't had the car too long (about 10 months... w/ the car active for maybe 3/4) the last time it needed doing, I was busy as hell, and it needed some wiring done so I just took it to the shop and had them do it.

But, for obvious reasons... that sucks. I've done plenty of oil changes on lesser vehicles, but never on my 3'er. My primary concern is the maintenance computer- I'd like to keep it happy, but I don't have any sort of BMW OBD tools. I read somewhere that you can reset it by connecting 2 of the terminals... but idk, sticking a paperclip in your BMW's computer seems kinda iffy. What do I need to make the little lights in the dashboard happy in 1000 miles.

Also- is 7k a good service interval for a '94 318? -That's what my mechanic put on the window sticker, and obviously what the car seems to want, but, idk- it seems rather long
    I was a die-hard Mercedes enthusiast... And then I drove a B'mer!

My Cars
    Some E30s
    If you're worried about putting a paper clip in do this. Take two pieces of wire and put a fuse in between them. That way if you don't have to worry if you don't jump the right pins...

Changing the oil every 7k miles? If your running synthetic oil that sounds fine to me but on conventional oil not so much. With conventional the typical is 3000 miles but then again everyone has their own opinion...

My Cars
    triple rare US E36 M3

My Cars
    Alpine 97 328is
    Here's a link that has a picture diagram as to which pins it is.

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/ele...ce_lights.html

Hope this helps!
    1997 BMW 328is Alpine White // Dove Grey
    ZF Swapped | 3.23 LSD | FK Coilovers | 17x8.5 Borbet Type C | 75mm Wheel Studs | 12mm Vorshlag Spacers | 5000k HIDs | Euro Taillights | Suede Headliner/Pillars

My Cars
    2004 Jaaaaaag
    You don't have to be worried about doing the paper clip trick, i put it in the wrong hole many times and it didnt do any damage, when i put it in the right one, green ligths all the way woot!
    E34 525i
    03 Aprilia RSV-R
    98' Honda Superhawk 996

79' YAMAHA XS650 SPECIAL CAFE RACER

(GONE BUT NOT FORGTOTTEN)
    2004 JAGUAR X-TYPE
    2G ECLIPSE
    HONDA CBR 600
    MAZDA 626
    CALYPSO BMW 325I : ANSA EXHAUST : 17" CSL REPS : LPD STRIP : 15% TINT : K & N AIR FILTER : TINTED AMBERS : BLACK BMW ROUNDELS : SMOKED TAILS : BLACKOUT GRILLE : CF B & C PILLARS : CF E-BRAKE : SUEDE HEADLINER : INSIGNIA 1000W AMP : 12" KENWOOD KICKER : KENWOOD HEADUNIT : APEXCONE 10,000K HID : PREDATOR CHROMIUM

My Cars
    1996 320i
    I did the clip trick too. But my lights went to ALL the green lit, but not the yellow or red...

So better than before, since it was fully lit all the way. But not to the root, as it were...Partial reset?
    //Mike (Norway)
    1997 316i hybrid

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Using the paper clip for 3 or 4 seconds resets the oil change light. Doing it for 10 seconds or more resets both the oil change and the Service II lights.

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328is (E36)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkobernus View Post
    I did the clip trick too. But my lights went to ALL the green lit, but not the yellow or red...

So better than before, since it was fully lit all the way. But not to the root, as it were...Partial reset?
    That's how it's supposed to work. Immediately after a reset, all of the green lights will be on, but no lights of any other color.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 318i
    alright... well, there's an electronics supply store right nest to my local Advance... and tomorrows a saturday, so I s'pose I'll have to have a go.

Though I've been wondering, the owners manual doesn't really cover changes in service routines in a temperate climate such as mine (Northern Illinois... i.e. cold as fuck for 3 months) -I know my dad's merc. needed twice the normal oil changes in winter- any thoughts?

My Cars
    1996 320i
    Just use the paper clip. Seriously. It is super easy.....
    //Mike (Norway)
    1997 316i hybrid

My Cars
    Focus 1.0 liter & 318ti
    I used to reset the lights with a paper clip, but stopped after a while. I don't follow the lights for my maintenance anyway, so it became pointless. There's really nothing about it to "keep happy" since it's just a glorified timer and has no affect on the car itself.

I just pick my chosen maintenance intervals based on mileage and keep track of when they need to be done in a document file. I check it every once-and-a-while to see what's coming up next.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 318i
    YES! It Worked! I changed the oil with Mobil 1, and reset the service lights with a piece of picture wire. I know the light is pointless, but it's a good reminder to check my maintenance schedule.

Thanks for the help everyone

My Cars
    97 328i,95 325,
    why cant i do this? lol my 97 328i had the paper clip in #7 and the #19 ground and nothing. man i suck. tried several times and no go...

My Cars
    1994 BMW 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkin View Post
    why cant i do this? lol my 97 328i had the paper clip in #7 and the #19 ground and nothing. man i suck. tried several times and no go...
    You have to have the key in Position 2- connect 19 to 7 for 5 seconds, disconnect, turn the key to 1, close the cap on the diagnostic interface whatchamajig then turn the key to 3, and your light'll be on

My Cars
    1994 318iC
    Turning the key to 3 be starting the car? Correct?

My Cars
    1994 BMW 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by bgyore View Post
    Turning the key to 3 be starting the car? Correct?
    No, position 4 is ignition, position 3 is "on". Unless I'm getting the positions confused and the "off" position isn't counted as pos. 1...

Er- in any event, the position I referred to as "3" is the one in which you'll be able to see the SI lights, but not actually engage the starter motor.

1 - off
    2 - acc
    3 - on
    4 - ignition

Right?

My Cars
    1992 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by altecw View Post
    No, position 4 is ignition, position 3 is "on". Unless I'm getting the positions confused and the "off" position isn't counted as pos. 1...

Er- in any event, the position I referred to as "3" is the one in which you'll be able to see the SI lights, but not actually engage the starter motor.

1 - off
    2 - acc
    3 - on
    4 - ignition

Right?
    I thought it was

0- Off
    1- ACC
    2- ON
    3- Ignition

position 0 is just when you put the key in and don't turn it (hence 0)

Also, the paper clip thing doesn't damage anything

Unless you want to spend big bucks on a tool that does the same exact thing :|

be my guest.
    Last edited by FauxFox; 08-04-2009 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

1995 325is - Hydroplaned into a ravine -195k R.I.P.
    1992 325i 4 door 150k - New ride

My Cars
    1994 BMW 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by FauxFox View Post
    I thought it was

0- Off
    1- ACC
    2- ON
    3- Ignition

position 0 is just when you put the key in and don't turn it (hence 0)

Also, the paper clip thing doesn't damage anything

Unless you want to spend big bucks on a tool that does the same exact thing :|

be my guest.
    Eh, I dunno- you're probably right, but I don't care enough to check my OM.

+1 for the paperclip, I looked into it, and the $30 tools just have sets of clips that connect the different sensor terminals to port 19 (ground). I used a piece of picture wire (screwed up 3 times before getting it right) and it didn't harm a thing.

My Cars
    1994 318iC
    [QUOTE=EThirtySicks;16976067]Here's a link that has a picture diagram as to which pins it is.

This is really helpful thank you!