Thread: Classic bmw

My Cars
    135i, R53 jcw, x5d, E39

Classic bmw

Any E9 or 2002 owners out there?

I'm debaiting selling my e30 325is, and getting an E9, would be driven to work couple days a week.

I really like the E9's but I wasnt sure how great the handling/brakes are on those older cars, I know the engines are great though.

ALso looking at a 912/911, or old jags, I dont want to spend over 5k, I really dont want to mess with full coverage insurance, just want a fun classic car to work on

Any alternative car sugestions are welcome

My Cars
    '99 Z3 , '97 740iL, '90 735iL, '65 Sunbeam Alpine
    Get a Sunbeam Alpine...
    Sig courtesy of ///Maniac

'99 Z3 2.3 '97 740iL '90 735iL
    '65 Sunbeam Alpine - Pimpmobile

My Cars
    '91 850i '95 840Ci,
    Tiger--you can get motor parts easier.
    Terry
    '95 840Ci Arctic Silver
    '98 740i Arctic Silver
    '98 SVT Cobra Mustang Convertible
    www.wuffer.net
    www.8coupe.com
    www.8er.org

My Cars
    135i, R53 jcw, x5d, E39
    Those things come in hardtop form? I'm not looking for a softop, my wife is getting a boxter next year, I feel alot safer with a roof over my head too

They do look interesting, never heard of them before, but the ford engine makes them easy to work on

My Cars
    2001 Ford Explorer
    I'd suggest a bavaria 3.0s, 3.0csi, or a 2002 tii/turbo. Those would be sweet!

My Cars
    135i, R53 jcw, x5d, E39
    I'm kinda leaning towards a 2002 because there's so many out there, they may be a better daily driver, but I sure like those E9's.

Is rust the only thing to watch out for on them? Or do they suffer carb/electronic problems too?
    The term badge whores is not allowed on bimmerforums, because badge whores don't like it

My Cars
    E46, S2000
    Can you find a 2002 or E9 for that much? I know that the good condition ones can fetch over 15,000. I hope you can work on the car yourself, because for 5K, I think you'd get one that could use some love.

Either would kick ass. I believe that they are pretty modable too-- I've seen some pretty tricked out 2002's autox before. If you are worried about the brakes, I guarantee that some company out there has different options for that.

If you are worried about rust I'd recommend looking for a car that's been kept out west. You rarely find a car with rust in southern California or Arizona. Down south I'm sure most of them have succumbed to the ways of the rust.

If you can find one with fuel injection, I’d defiantly highly recommend going for that. My English teacher last year had an old carb 2002 (not when I was in class with her). Some times, the car wouldn’t start up. She’d have to pop the hood, unscrew something or another, take out a little needle, and unclog it. Injection is just so much easier to work with.

If you get the E9, I'd highly recomend doing this to it:

Forum Rules___Info for New Members___Teen Driving School in So Cal
    "It's the internet by my rules."--Kevlar

My Cars
    135i, R53 jcw, x5d, E39
    That makes me want an E9 that much more

Flawless E9's are less than 10, there's a couple here for sale in the 5's, but that's it, no other cars for sale!

No rust down here in georgia, they dont salt the roads, cars seem to last forever
    The term badge whores is not allowed on bimmerforums, because badge whores don't like it

My Cars
    81 320i
    Originally posted by little740girl
    Can you find a 2002 or E9 for that much? I know that the good condition ones can fetch over 15,000. I hope you can work on the car yourself, because for 5K, I think you'd get one that could use some love.
    yeah, a lot of the 2002's in good to mint condition cost a pretty penny. but u should be able to find a rust-free dailydriver for around 5k. E9's are awesome too, but there's only a handful of them forsale accross the country and people arn't letting them go for cheap either.

hehehe, what about an e21? u can get one in really good shape for no more than 3 grand.....then just get some euro bumpers and ur set (<--hehehe, just my biased opinion)

My Cars
    Originally posted by TerryY
    Tiger--you can get motor parts easier.
    So true!!!! Wish mine was a Tiger

My Cars
    Originally posted by MegaDeTH
    Those things come in hardtop form? I'm not looking for a softop, my wife is getting a boxter next year, I feel alot safer with a roof over my head too

They do look interesting, never heard of them before, but the ford engine makes them easy to work on
    All of the Tigers came with a ragtop. There are aftermarket hard tops available, however. And yes, working on a Ford 289 coudln't be much easier!

My Series 4 GT didn't come with a ragtop at all. The GT was a "touring" roadster & I guess wasn't meant to be driven in anything but nice weather?

My Cars
    it varies
    Don't get a CS for a daily driver.

You'd need to spend a small fortune for one with no rust. Any rust and you're a goner. And body panels cost a FORTUNE.

The 2002, on the other hand, can be found in fine shape for say $4K for a carbed one. I've made daily drivers out of cars that cost MUCH less. They weren't ever going to win beauty contests, but they ran and handled fine.

Parts are readily available, for the most part, and you can do just about everything with hand tools.

I've also had a 3.0s (Bavaria) for a daily. I got it for $250, and drove it for almost a year before some ass totaled it. It ran just fine, but parts were much harder to come by than on the 2002 (which is not to say impossible, just annoying when its your daily driver).

I've had 4 or 5 2002s and 1600s and they are just a great damn car. if I didn't have another kid on the way I'd have another for a toy.

My Cars
    135i, R53 jcw, x5d, E39
    I should probably qualify how much driving I would be doing, 35 mile commute, 1-2 days per week, I work at home a couple days a week, and I do like driving the M3 to work.

I'm still going to look for a CS, but I wont be buying a rusty one, that's for sure, not that it's a problem down here. And if there's a few dings I dont really care, I'm not buying a show car after all.

I'm also going to test drive some 2002's but I really dont like the design, I think I would keep my my e30 over the 2002

None of the other cars I've looked at do anything for me, the muscle cars are all huge, there's a couple dodges I like, but drum brakes, and extreemly bad handling without quite a bit of money, is a huge turn off.

I'm going to testdrive a 914 and some cheap 911's too, I dont like the 914 at all either, but I've heard they drive very nice.

My Cars
    1997 M3
    Wow that looks really nice