RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Hmm...intermittent turn-key-nothing-happens issue

My Cars
    95 M3 LTW-R, et al

Hmm...intermittent turn-key-nothing-happens issue

95 M3 with 116k.

From time to time recently, I turn the ignition key and nothing happens. No click, no turning over. The usual dashboard lights are on.

Yesterday it happened for 5-10 mins. I walked away and came back 20 mins later and it started right up.

Could this be a battery starting to go bad? A key-chip issue? Something else?

Has happened about 10 times now. But usually for just a few tries. Twice for about 5 minutes.

HELP!

-Eff

"This is the best thread ever!! This was my first time looking at it and it was like watching a movie. Eff, your car is an absolute masterpiece!" -E36Cruisin, on the shameless LTW thread

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    You'll likely need a new ignition switch. (The electrical side) You can confirm this by pulling the lower steering cover when issue is occuring, and using a test light on the black and yellow wire when turning key to "Start" position. If test light doesn't illuminate, replace switch. (Easy)

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    e28 m5, e34 TCD S3
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    You'll likely need a new ignition switch. (The electrical side) You can confirm this by pulling the lower steering cover when issue is occuring, and using a test light on the black and yellow wire when turning key to "Start" position. If test light doesn't illuminate, replace switch. (Easy)
    +1, also have seen were the clips were broke on the ignition switch so the key was just turning and not making contact with the ignition switch. either way i would start there as that is more than likely your problem

My Cars
    95 M3 LTW-R, et al
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post

Great stuff.

A couple quick questions:
    1) Got an image of an BMW ignition switch?
    2) Got a part #?
    3) Approximate cost?

-Eff

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...ek+Google+Base

$77 sounds right? This part number sound right?

-Eff
    Last edited by Effervescent; 05-25-2009 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

"This is the best thread ever!! This was my first time looking at it and it was like watching a movie. Eff, your car is an absolute masterpiece!" -E36Cruisin, on the shameless LTW thread

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    That looks right; the part number shown is not a BMW number -but that means nothing; the picture is correct.

But really, you need to test that wire before throwing parts; this is only the most likely failure point, and is a BAD diagnosis unless the testing is done. You MUST find out where the problem is - start by testing the black and yellow wire at the switch, then go try the same test at the black and yellow wire at the starter, if the first one goes hot. If both go hot, test voltage drop at the starter main power, and at all feeds to that point. And then you'll need to check engine ground, dme ground, etc -- What I'm saying is don't throw the parts 'til you know which to throw. IT COULD BE that your starter can't take the heat - a problem I had with my race car yesterday.....

EDIT: But no one beat me; and I drove it home, too.
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 05-25-2009 at 10:04 PM.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Possible loose battery ground. Check in the trunk at battery and frame.

Possible bad starter solenoid. Replace starter.

My Cars
    2001 330i, 2011 Z435i
    My ignition switch went bad on me a couple of weeks ago. By removing the switch and connecting the wiring while it wasn't mounted I was able to get more reliable starts. This led me to believe that the switch was making poor/intermittent contact and just dismounting it was enough to make it work better. $80 for a new switch and express shipping from Pelican Parts later I got the new one installed and haven't had a problem since. At least on the E46 it's easy enough to get to that there's no reason to not remove the switch and check it's function before throwing money at a new one.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    You won't even need to remove it, just check for hot at the black and yellow's terminal when your symptom is manifesting.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    95 M3 LTW-R, et al
    FELLAS! It was just a dying battery!

Despite driving it around all that weekend (with the annoying starting issue) it was complete dead 5 days later when I tried to start it.

$99 at Pep Boys. Works fine now.

I remember this being an issue I had once on a Yamaha sportsbike as well.

Thanks though, I opened up under the steering column and found a wire with split insulation...which is why I think I have to reset my airbag every couple of months.

2 for 1!

-Eff