Thread: How to turn off service engine soon light

My Cars
    04 BMW 330XI, 91 Honda CRX

How to turn off service engine soon light

I have already done my service. Now how do I turn the light off?

My Cars
    E36/7M, E39Wagon, '12 X3
    Fix the car. There is an issue with the vehicle regarding the performance and emissions. The only way to get the light to go off is to have the vehicle serviced.
    -///Mike ///Michael ///Mikey

pwn noobs /thread

My Cars
    '03 530
    What was your "service"? The SES light indicates a prolem with the vehicle emissions control system - essentially how it is running. You may not notice a difference, but something is wrong. Some auto parts stores (Autozone for one) will scan the code for you and tell you what part needs to be replaced. They can also clear the light but if the problem isnt corrected it will return.

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    Quote Originally Posted by slvrXI View Post
    Fix the car. There is an issue with the vehicle regarding the performance and emissions. The only way to get the light to go off is to have the vehicle serviced.

To expound on this point:

The Service Engine Soon light indicates there is a problem with the car. It could be a number of different problems. For example: A loose gas cap, a stuck-open thermostat, misfires, an intake leak, a failed O2 sensor, a faulty computer module, a failing torque converter. There is a system of codes (OBDII, or On-Board Diagnostic II) that will help you diagnose the problem - you'll connect the car to an electronic tool that will read the codes. Once you've repaired the problem that triggered the code, the light will often go away by itself, or you can reset the light with the same tool you used to read the codes.

The Service Engine Soon DOES NOT MEAN that it's time for scheduled maintenance or service, such as your oil change.

There is a separate indicator for your scheduled maintenance: the SII, or Service Interval Indicator. It's the mileage countdown that is briefly displayed when you first insert the key. It starts at approximately 15k, and ticks down to 0; when it reaches 0, you perform the scheduled service and reset the SII. The scheduled service alternates between OILSERVICE and INSPECTION; these are displayed next to the mileage countdown. The Inspections alternate betwen Inspection I and Inspection II, though the SII does not specify which one is due (you have to remember or keep good records).

Summary: Repair the problem that caused the Service Engine Soon light to come on, and the light will probably go away by itself, or you can reset it with an OBDII scan tool.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    After performing said corrective maintenance...that the OBDII code reader tells you to perform.....plug the OBDII code reader back in to clear the code....and this should reset the SES light?

That's what I do.

+1 on Nathans comments above.

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    06 330 Ci ZHP vert
    I wonder who's bright idea it was to call it the "Service Engine Soon" light rather than the "Check Engine" light which is what it is on pretty much every single other car brand. I understand why the OP was confused. When mine came on for the first time it seemed obvious to me that it was a maintenance reminder, not a repair needed indicator. What were they thinking?

ZHP!!

My Cars
    '03 530
    Quote Originally Posted by davester View Post
    I wonder who's bright idea it was to call it the "Service Engine Soon" light rather than the "Check Engine" light which is what it is on pretty much every single other car brand. I understand why the OP was confused. When mine came on for the first time it seemed obvious to me that it was a maintenance reminder, not a repair needed indicator. What were they thinking?

I agree, stupid decision to call it that.

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    Well, when the light comes on, you're supposed to just cancel your tee time or salon appointment, drive to the nearest BMW dealership, and open your wallet.

My Cars
    06 330 Ci ZHP vert
    Exactly. The light should actually say "$ervice engine $oon $ucker!"

ZHP!!

My Cars
    Bmw 2001 325ci
    So i know this is an old thread does anyone know how to delete the light once i hook it up to the program on my laptop INPA?