Thread: Anyone know how to swap pads on StopTech ST40 BBK?

My Cars
    bmw 330

Anyone know how to swap pads on StopTech ST40 BBK?

Anyone know how to swap pads on StopTech ST40 BBK?
    It looks easy .. but I am trying to find a quick DIY on the topic. I went to the StopTech site but they have no info on pad changing, although they show how to assemble the entire kit.

My Cars
    99 M3
    Its pretty simple you have to remove the pins and pop the old pads up. I have a set of old worn pads that I put in there and just use them to push the pistons back with a screwdriver(plastic or rubber end). Pop the new ones in and you're done.

Here are the instructions from stoptech..

How do I retract the caliper pistons to change pads?
    As brake pads wear, the caliper pistons extend from the body of the caliper but only retract a few thousandths of an inch so the pads stay close to the rotor face. When installing new pads, the pistons need to be pushed back into the caliper body. This can be done in several ways and does not necessarily require special tools. With any method of pad retraction, be careful not to nick the face of the aluminum piston where it contacts the backing plate of the pad. First off, the rotor is typically loose on the hub with the wheel removed. By rocking the rotor back and forth it will push back the pistons enough to make removing the used pads easier. This is especially true if rotor wear is such that there is a raised ridge on the outer edge of the rotor face keeping the pad from easily coming out the top of the caliper. Our most convenient method to fully retract the pistons is to use the used pads being removed from the caliper as a lever. Remove one pad from the caliper while leaving the other used pad in place. Turn the pad 90 degrees and re-insert half way it into the caliper lengthwise with the pad face still toward the rotor. Using the outer edge of the rotor against the center of the pad, use the pad as a lever to press both pistons in at the same time. Retract both pistons at the same time, or the one not being pushed in will extend further. Push the pads in as far as possible, remove the used pad and install the new pad. Repeat on the other side of the caliper. In retracting the first pair of pistons, the opposite pair of pistons where the other used pad is may extend, pressing the pad against the rotor. Rock the rotor again to move the pad away again. You can also use alternate tools to push in the pistons. I have also used the plastic coated handles on a pair of pliers or channel locks, which allow me to press both pistons at the same time and not nick the piston face. There are special tools available to retract the pistons, however unless you are a professional crew person making a hot swap in the middle of a race, it is likely not necessary. If you have trouble retracting the pistons, you can crack open one of the bleed screws with a hose leading to a tray or bottle and it will ease the resistance. You will need to bleed the system if you open the bleed screw. Also, keep an eye on the brake fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir. If the system was bled and topped off when the pads were worn, you might push enough fluid back through the system to overflow the master cylinder.
    Last edited by hinzm3; 05-13-2009 at 12:20 AM.

My Cars
    bmw 330
    It sounds easy - any idea if there are some pictures around to show me exactly?

My Cars
    99 M3
    not that I know of... I have to swap in my track pads next week, want me to take pics? It's really simple and kind of self explanatory once you look at the caliper.

My Cars
    bmw 330
    couple pic's would be great -

also, maybe list the tools used ?

Many thanks -

BryDog

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    Its VERY simple.

You leave the caliper mounted on the car, and just remove the 2 allen head bolts holding the "bridge" on the top of the caliper. You then slide the pads out. You then need to spread the pistons to make room for the thicker new pads. This can be done as described by hinzm3 or you can buy a piston spreading tool like the one sold by zdmak (which I have and now use on all the cars - its a nice tool).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brake...27147006r16259
    Last edited by Mad Dog 20/20; 05-13-2009 at 01:21 PM.
    Garrett

My Cars
    E36M,E46M,951S,CBR
    +1 on all what said above. stoptechs are extremely easy to change out pads.. tho brembos are even easier

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog 20/20 View Post
    Its VERY simple.

You leave the caliper mounted on the car, and just remove the 2 allen head bolts holding the "bridge" on the top of the caliper. You then slide the pads out. You then need to spread the pistons to make room for the thicker new pads. This can be done as described by hinzm3 or you can buy a piston spreading tool like the one sold by zdmak (which I have and now use on all the cars - its a nice tool).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brake...27147006r16259
    Oh, sweet! I just ordered that. I was looking for a spreader tool but couldn't find which one would work. I asked a couple of friends and they told me to not be a pus and just use the screwdriver ... : lol

My Cars
    bmw 330
    Just swapped pads today for some practice.

You were right - it was VERY easy !

My Cars
    99 M3, 06 Evo MR #7 STU
    Easier than stock IMHO
    project:BDR | 1999 M3 | 2006 Evo MR (STU #7)

Me at the Nurburgring (in someone else's E36)