Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *DIY Fog Light Glass 'Restoration' on the *CHEAP*

My Cars
    98 540i, 95 540i (dead)

*DIY Fog Light Glass 'Restoration' on the *CHEAP*

So I got bored and decided to clean out my foglights to see if the accumulated dust over the past 14 years might be causing dim projection. I found a very, very thin layer of dust in there, nothing major. But the problem that arrested my attention was the chips, pits and scrapes on the glass lens of the foglight (outside, not the orb). After washing and drying the lens, I decided to add some clear, acrylic nail polish ($1.99 est.) to the outside to see if it would fill in the chips. I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves:

Before (the foglight is turned upside down so that it would sit level)

Before

Half In Process, Half Original:

Again:

Completed and Dried:

Let's face it - we drive $2-8k cars and sometimes home remedies are better than nothing at all, especially when you're stricken for cash. So how do these perform now? The light is focused A LOT more on the front of the road, as it should. Standing at the side or looking down at the lights, the amount of "glow" to the entire glass has diminished DRAMATICALLY. The light actually slips through the glass instead of lighting it up like a lamp-shade. The color was also affected - with halogen bulbs, the color is much closer to white than before. The color before was almost a very light amber/yellow - now it actually looks decent

Hooray for cheap fixes, now pass it on!

EDIT: FWIW, the same method can be applied to the high-beam and low-beam glass -BUT!- the cutoff for the projection will be spread out over an extra 3-4" (vertically) at 12ft away, due to the convex placement of the nail polish which disperses the light. The cutoff color will also change from purple/blue to green/yellow but the majority of the light projection should stay the same color [with HID bulbs, anyway.. not sure with halogen].
    Last edited by scyrusurcys; 05-03-2009 at 01:53 PM.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

My Cars
    01 540i/6
    Good idea! It looks a lot better.

My Cars
    98 540i, 95 540i (dead)
    Aww.. no love, guys?

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

My Cars
    E34,E39 + a few more
    Congrats, looks good!

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i
    How did you apply it? Just use the nail polish brush? Did you put it on vertically or hozintally? I want to try it on my yellow fog lenses I think the clear would work on the yellow. Great work!
    1995 Oriental Blau-Parchment-Wood Trim BMW 525i - 5 Speed, Short Shifted & JC Chipped

My Cars
    98 540i, 95 540i (dead)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frzninvt View Post
    How did you apply it? Just use the nail polish brush? Did you put it on vertically or hozintally? I want to try it on my yellow fog lenses I think the clear would work on the yellow. Great work!
    Thanks!

And yes, I just used the brush that was in the nail polish bottle - doesn't take very long at all to apply over the entire lens (3-5 minutes). I used both horizontal and vertical strokes because it runs together pretty easily without a noticeable trail. Totally effortless job

Also, if it doesn't work out like you want it to, just take some acetone to it and it rubs right off.

My Cars
    1992 525iT & 1995 525iT
    Will clear varnish work too?

My Cars
    98 540i, 95 540i (dead)
    Quote Originally Posted by Green525iT View Post
    Did a quick Google search and found this:

http://krylon.com/products/clear_varnish_coating

I suppose it would work - wanna be our test subject?

My Cars
    09 Focus/ 03 ZHP
    Good thinking. It turned out pretty nice
    Quote Originally Posted by panda12 View Post
    I'd take it in the ass once for a Z4M.
    Current Cars:
    2003 BMW 330i ZHP
    2009 Ford Focus
    2003 Honda Civic

My Cars
    1995 BMW 530i, 1969 Camaro Z28/RS
    Quote Originally Posted by Green525iT View Post
    Would clear spray paint work for that matter?
    Jon
    '07 BMW 550i Titanium Silver Sport 6-Speed M-Sport Bumpers
    '15 Electric Mercedes
    '69 Camaro Z28/RS Hugger Orange/Black, 400hp, 4 speed manual

Previous:
    '07 BMW X3 Arctic Silver Premium/Cold Weather Package Adaptive Bi-Xenon
    '95 BMW 540i M-Sport Hellrot 6-Speed Dinan Engine/Diff Goodies Moonroof
    '98 BMW 740i Biarritzblau stock

My Cars
    1992 525iT & 1995 525iT
    Quote Originally Posted by scyrusurcys View Post
    Did a quick Google search and found this:

http://krylon.com/products/clear_varnish_coating

I suppose it would work - wanna be our test subject?
    Yeah why not? I'll probably try it this weekend. But I think the clear nail polish is more thicker than the krylon varnish thus, would cover the pits effectively. Anyway, I'll give you a feedback if the krylon works.

My Cars
    94+95 E34, '07 335i E92
    The only problem with acrylic is that it can yellow in UV.

My Cars
    94"-540i, 86" E28-535,83"-533i
    Great idea! I'm curious as to how it's going to withstand the heat with the lights on?
    Please let us know.
    Thanks
    Fred

My Cars
    Suck
    I've used clearcoat on some of my headlights, it isn't perfect, but it's pretty damn good.

Go ahead and bite. Plenty for everyone.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T

My Cars
    Suck
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    Looks good for now, but how durable is this stuff for future sandblasting?
    It doesn't really matter, the headlight is already pitted. If it needs a quick blast of clearcoat in another 6 months to a year... there's still enough paint left in the can to do another couple coats.

Go ahead and bite. Plenty for everyone.

My Cars
    E61 530xi
    Looks pretty good! I am going to have to try this.

My Cars
    Monster 5
    Good to know! Useful cheap cosmetic fix.

+1 to you and your experimentation sir.

My Cars
    98 540i, 95 540i (dead)
    Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred in Houston View Post
    Great idea! I'm curious as to how it's going to withstand the heat with the lights on?
    Please let us know.
    Thanks
    Fred
    Just found an article stating that the temp. at which nail polish melts is 120°C -- so I don't think we'll need to worry about the heat .

After turning them on at a standstill for a solid 15 minutes, the outside of the foglights were barely even warm to the touch (compared to the 90-100F heat I could feel on the foglight housing, behind the bumper). I would imagine it could only get better if there was a constant flow of air over them to cool them down even more. I'll have to report back in a few days/weeks to let everyone know how they're holding up with the everyday driving conditions.

EDIT: After searching around - the worst thing that can happen to the nail polish is the chemical reaction between polish and acid rain. The polish is alkaline after it dries and the acidity of acid rain may convert it to a liquid state = bad news. But oh well, 10 minutes of reapplication is worth it .
    Last edited by scyrusurcys; 05-03-2009 at 01:27 PM.

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28
    Quote Originally Posted by scyrusurcys View Post
    So I got bored and decided to clean out my foglights to see if the accumulated dust over the past 14 years might be causing dim projection. I found a very, very thin layer of dust in there, nothing major. But the problem that arrested my attention was the chips, pits and scrapes on the glass lens of the foglight (outside, not the orb). After washing and drying the lens, I decided to add some clear, acrylic nail polish ($1.99 est.) to the outside to see if it would fill in the chips. I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves:

Let's face it - we drive $2-8k cars and sometimes home remedies are better than nothing at all, especially when you're stricken for cash. So how do these perform now? The light is focused A LOT more on the front of the road, as it should. Standing at the side or looking down at the lights, the amount of "glow" to the entire glass has diminished DRAMATICALLY. The light actually slips through the glass instead of lighting it up like a lamp-shade. The color was also affected - with halogen bulbs, the color is much closer to white than before. The color before was almost a very light amber/yellow - now it actually looks decent

Hooray for cheap fixes, now pass it on!

EDIT: FWIW, the same method can be applied to the high-beam and low-beam glass -BUT!- the cutoff for the projection will be spread out over an extra 3-4" (vertically) at 12ft away, due to the convex placement of the nail polish which disperses the light. The cutoff color will also change from purple/blue to green/yellow but the majority of the light projection should stay the same color [with HID bulbs, anyway.. not sure with halogen].

$2-8k huh? lol..in yearly mods/maintainance/repairs maybe..lol
    Last edited by jehu; 05-03-2009 at 01:58 PM.

My Cars
    98 540i, 95 540i (dead)
    Hah, true. Fortunately for me, though. I've only HAD to spend about $200/year on my 540i to keep it running nicely. I'm sure there are PLENTY of other things I could spend money on to make it nicer and run even better than it does now.

I am very surprised at how the reliability has been for the 60,000 miles that I have owned it. Another reason to love my car

My Cars
    1990 525, 03 530
    i had just spray painted my headlights and foglights with a clear coat from walmart, it looks great, perfectly smooth and no beam distortion whatsoever. just use real light coats.

My Cars
    E34 & E39
    this varies from the condition of the glass, but compound and a buffer will remove fine scratches and the fogginess from the lens. I did it to my lows and you can notice a difference and defiantly feel a difference.

My Cars
    e46 M3 coupe, e30 325is
    Great job! One of my fog lights needs this! Good to know how to restore it!
    Owner - Bavarian Restoration
    BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
    www.BavRest.com
    My Feedback Thread
    Our Facebook!
    Follow our Instagram!

My Cars
    bf.c e34 contour
    also SEM chipguard will both fill in the pits (keep glass horizontal) as well as provide further chip and sandblasting protection.

isn;t $2 cheap though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast