Thread: Toyo R888 Setup Notes for Spec Miata

My Cars
    1987 325is, 2011 335i

Toyo R888 Setup Notes for Spec Miata

SCCA included Toyo's R888 chassis setup notes for Spec Miata in this month's FasTrack. They compared setup for the R888 to the RA1. Skip to page 11 for the details.

Don't know how much of the info applies to BMW's but I think it might be relevant for an E30 racer, which has a similar weight and chassis layout.

Highlights:

• R888 is stiffer (higher spring rate) than RA1 and generates more cornering force
    • Designed to run at full tread depth; shaving can improve performance but shortens life
    • Lower hot pressures than RA1 - 32-38 psi with 32 as a good starting point for lightweight cars
    • Optimum tread temp is 160-220 F with a 25F gradiant outside to inside (inside hotter due to straightline camber)
    • Less negative camber required than RA1
    • Improved steering response = little or zero front toe

This kind of goes against the recipe offered in this thread, but I suppose there are too many variables to bother arguing about it.
    Last edited by ScottL; 04-21-2009 at 02:40 PM.

Fair is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E36 M3, E36 LS1, E30 318
    We've talked to a Toyo national rep and he said the same thing - the R888 has a much stiffer tire carcass and capable of more performance than the old RA1... but that many road racers used to the RA1 are dragging their feet to change their setups and "don't like it" because the new tire is less sloppy than the RA1.

The R888 is a step in the right direction for Toyo. The RA1 was looooooong in the tooth and needed to be replaced long ago. Once the fast guys start to adjust their setup to the R888 I suspect they will beat the old lap records set on the RA1.
    Terry Fair @ Vorshlag Motorsports

My Cars
    SpecE30, Mini Cooper JCW
    Ok, but I've yet to hear anyone say that the R888 lasts as long as the RA1. If the R888 has only 2/3rds the life, our costs are going to go up a lot.

My Cars
    '95 m3, spec e30
    Lots of misinformation about the r888. Someone should cite the wisdom about running high PSI fixing everything.

The whole thing is a debacle. We use it for a spec class (spec e30), where it doesn't matter if it's faster. The focus is on cost containment, and switching from a tire that lasts N to a tire that lasts N/2 sucks a lot.

I'm grumpy about the whole thing.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5; 04 M3 6M
    Quote Originally Posted by lazz View Post
    I'm grumpy about the whole thing.
    Me too. Plain old grumpy about it.

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    We ran a brand new set of 255s for TEN HOURS at Sebring (6hr enduro, 90min enduro, 2x30min sprint, practice, qualifying). The tires are currently at 1/2 tread, and we expect to do another 2 3hr enduros with them before we toss 'em. I'd say that pretty damn good life. This is a 2700lbs DM-lite car.
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by Fair View Post
    We've talked to a Toyo national rep and he said the same thing - the R888 has a much stiffer tire carcass and capable of more performance than the old RA1... but that many road racers used to the RA1 are dragging their feet to change their setups and "don't like it" because the new tire is less sloppy than the RA1.

The R888 is a step in the right direction for Toyo. The RA1 was looooooong in the tooth and needed to be replaced long ago. Once the fast guys start to adjust their setup to the R888 I suspect they will beat the old lap records set on the RA1.

So was there any guidance on what the starting tire pressures should be? I just scrubbed in a set at the the glen on tuesday and started off high, about 39psi check hot tire pressures and they were in the 46-47 area all around. I wasn't pushing them as I only wanted to scrub them in so I don't have a grip opinion on them.

swapped to the NT-01's and started them at 34 cold and had a good time of beating on them for the time trials.

rob

My Cars
    E90
    I've run them at 42 or so hot pressure. Seemed to keep the tire consistent through the race. I'm going to take a stab at the 32 psi hot pressures at my next weekend, but I don't expect to find any miracles. Wear will not go slower with the right pressures IMO, we just might be able to keep the groove of death or graining from forming.

I wonder if the lower hot pressures are designed to get the tire up to temp faster since they say a cold tire will grain a lot worse than a tire that's warm before being asked to slip and slide under race conditions.