Thread: OBDII M52 to OBDI M52...

My Cars
    '96 OBDI 328i, '95 540i

OBDII M52 to OBDI M52...

I'm looking to do the conversion very soon. I'm doing it for the cheaper tuning and eventually turbocharger. I'm heading to a local Pull-A-Part place to get the required items. I do have a few questions about the conversion. I have searched. I ran across this thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=602151.

These are the parts listed:

1. OBD1 harness
    2. OBD1 ECU (413 "red label" preferred b/c they come from non-EWS cars).
    3. OBD1 chip
    4. OBD1 intake manifold (already installed)
    5. OBD1 fuel rail (converted obdII rail when m50 manifold installed)
    6. OBD1 crank position sensor
    7. OBD1 cam position sensor
    8. OBD1 ping/knock sensor x2 The thread provided at the top doesn't talk about this. It says two knock sensors are needed. Can someone elaborate a litle further? Do I get obdI knock sensors and install them in the obdII hole?
    9. OBD1 oxygen sensor
    10. OBD1 HFM
    11. OBD1 main engine coolant hose (big hose that connects to the coolant pipe fitting on the timing cover, heater core, and radiator expansion tank) Do I really need this? The provided thread doesn't show clear enough pictures to understand what is going on. Why would I need this? Why do I need to convert this over?
    12. OBD1 throttle boot (converted obdII throttle body when m50 manifold installed)
    13. OBD1 throttle body (optional) (have one on hand if needed)
    14. OBD1 valve cover and coil packs (optional) (converting the obdII cover to work)

Any help is appreciated. I hope to have this running soon. I will update once I get this installed. I just need a few question installed before I start. Thanks.
    -'95 E34 540i/6sp (daily driver)
    K&N CAI, Dinan Chip, Short Thow Shifter, Eisemann exhaust, Mostly Stock
    -'92 B13 Sentra SE-R/5sp (project car)
    SR20DET swap and more

-'96 E36 328i/5Sp (Sold)
    OBDI Converted 2.8, TRM Chip, S52 Cams, M50 Manifold, M3 3.23 LSD, M3 rear sway bar, Gripforce clutch/ 16lb flywheel, Ark cat-back exhaust, Modified stock air-box w/ K&N filter,Bavauto CDV, Samco intake boot, R1 concept slot/drilled rotors, PBR/Axis UTL pads, Fan Delete Mod, UUC underdrive pulleys, Depo headlights w/ 6000k hids, Depo fog lights w/ 8000k hids, clear corners, Bavauto caliper bushing upgrade, UUC RTAB, Bimmeworld Subframe Mounts, AKG Diff. Mounts, UUC tranny mounts, Custom Interior, FK Coilovers, New Front suspension, SS replica headers, SS resonators, oem rear M bumper,Rebuilt Vanos, Home Depot Lip more to come...
    Future mods: Ported throttle body, Custom Tune.
    328 Mafia #13
    -'05 Dodge NSrt-4 (dead)
    Too many mods to list.

My Cars
    e36 332i
    In response to #8: Yes you need two obd1 knock sensors. The obd2 sensors pig tails together to form one plug that connects to the wire harness. Obd1 harness has two plugs for each sensor. You will want to grab the multi meter and make sure you have the one for cyl 1-3 plugged into the correct plug by checking the continuity from ecu to plugs. Here are some pics from when I did mine that should help a little. Used red and blue marks to show locations. Also the knock sensors bolt into the same place on the block for obd1 or 2, very important to make sure you use a torque wrench when installing and torque to the correct ft/lbs. I forget off hand what the torque is but needs to be right other wise you can damage and/or cause the sensors to not pick up the ping hertz / vibration if to tight or loose.

post pics in a min.....
    Last edited by eye145; 04-03-2009 at 08:14 PM.

My Cars
    '96 OBDI 328i, '95 540i
    bump. Thanks
    SR20DET swap and more

-'96 E36 328i/5Sp (Sold)
    OBDI Converted 2.8, TRM Chip, S52 Cams, M50 Manifold, M3 3.23 LSD, M3 rear sway bar, Gripforce clutch/ 16lb flywheel, Ark cat-back exhaust, Modified stock air-box w/ K&N filter,Bavauto CDV, Samco intake boot, R1 concept slot/drilled rotors, PBR/Axis UTL pads, Fan Delete Mod, UUC underdrive pulleys, Depo headlights w/ 6000k hids, Depo fog lights w/ 8000k hids, clear corners, Bavauto caliper bushing upgrade, UUC RTAB, Bimmeworld Subframe Mounts, AKG Diff. Mounts, UUC tranny mounts, Custom Interior, FK Coilovers, New Front suspension, SS replica headers, SS resonators, oem rear M bumper,Rebuilt Vanos, Home Depot Lip more to come...
    328 Mafia #13
    -'05 Dodge NSrt-4 (dead)
    Too many mods to list.

My Cars
    e36 332i
    There is also a obd1 coversion thread in the engine swap area at the top .
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=757893
    p.s. you may want to save yourself the hassle with the crank sensor and buy a new one. Good luck getting the one from the bone yard out of the cover with out f-ing it up, they are normally seized in the cover pretty good and the top of the sensor will break before the bottom gives up. If you install a bad one it will make for a huge headache trying to diagnose why your new obd1 conversion wont start up, same with the cam sensor.
    Make sure your obd1 wire harness is from a vanos engine and not a early m50.
    Last edited by eye145; 04-03-2009 at 08:28 PM.

My Cars
    '96 OBDI 328i, '95 540i
    Thanks for the pics and additional info.
    SR20DET swap and more

-'96 E36 328i/5Sp (Sold)
    328 Mafia #13
    -'05 Dodge NSrt-4 (dead)
    Too many mods to list.

My Cars
    '96 OBDI 328i, '95 540i
    Finally got the harness and red label DME. I need a air flow sensor and custom chip now. Will my 328i air flow meter work with this set-up?

Some pics of the prize.

SSPX0047.jpg

SSPX0048.jpg

I will update when I get an air flow sensor and chip.
    SR20DET swap and more

-'96 E36 328i/5Sp (Sold)
    328 Mafia #13
    -'05 Dodge NSrt-4 (dead)
    Too many mods to list.

My Cars
    '96 OBDI 328i, '95 540i

Update: 4-10-2009

I have the air flow meter now. I'm in process of tearing the old wiring out. I'm still waiting on the chip. It will probably be here tomorrow. I will take pics of the install. Wish me luck!
    SR20DET swap and more

-'96 E36 328i/5Sp (Sold)
    328 Mafia #13
    -'05 Dodge NSrt-4 (dead)
    Too many mods to list.

My Cars
    95 325 I Convertible
    I have an m52 in my 93 325is. I am very pleased with it ...

My Cars
    '96 OBDI 328i, '95 540i
    I need some help. I have the motor cranking but not starting. I am not getting any fuel in the rail. I have bypassed the EWS wire (cut wire #7 at the main harness). I did use the obdII fuel rail and fuel pressure regulator. Upon taking the obdII wire harness out I had to remove a connector that plugs into the fuel pressure regulator. The obdI harness did not have this connection.

Picture of main connector with wire #7 cut to disable EWS.

OBDI Harness that isn't used. I don't need it right?

Picture of the Fuel Pressure Regulator after OBDII harness removed. Do I need to create a harness?

OBDII harness that plugged into the fuel pressure regulator. It is part of the OBDII harness so it was removed.

Do need to use this harness? I know I have to jump a wire to wire #1 to have "check engine" light to work.
    SR20DET swap and more

-'96 E36 328i/5Sp (Sold)
    328 Mafia #13
    -'05 Dodge NSrt-4 (dead)
    Too many mods to list.

My Cars
    '96 OBDI 328i, '95 540i
    Think I am back in business. I have some new sensor on the way (knock, cam, and crank). I also picked up an obdI ICV while I was at Pull-A-Part. It came off a 92 325i. While I was there, I was going to pick up the intake manifold and differential (3.15 LSD) but didn't have the extra cash. Intake mani was $15 and the differential was $50.
    SR20DET swap and more

-'96 E36 328i/5Sp (Sold)
    328 Mafia #13
    -'05 Dodge NSrt-4 (dead)
    Too many mods to list.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318is
    I know it's only 6 years later but how did you exhaust work out with the two O2 sensors in your exhaust how did u run that ?