Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Motronic 173 ecu emulation ready

My Cars
    1998 e36

Motronic 173 ecu emulation ready

I wrote a definition file for Tunerpro software that can mod the bin file for 173 ecu. This way with using ostrich2.0 emprom emulator $180 you can tune stock motronic ecu in real time, all the maps, rpm limit, air flow meter voltage adjusting for air mass meter, ETC
    Tunerpro will come out with map trace very soon so you can see what part of map ecu is reading.

Software is located at tunerpro.net as well as the bin file and XDF definition file. You will need eprom emulator Ostrich2.0 or any type of eprom burner for 27C256 chips.

Update 08/25/2009, more definition files writen for E30 cars, M3 ecus, and 318i ecus 175, 990, 282

http://www.photodump.org/stored28/ha...73software.jpg

The emulator once you program it with laptop using USB cable will keep the memory of the file so you can just put it in glove box and keep the USB cable extended so next time you need to tune something it is right there, no need to remove the ecu nor plugging anything extra. This is basicly same as miller war chip.
    Last edited by hakentt; 08-26-2009 at 02:31 PM. Reason: update

My Cars
    1991 318is, 1989 325i, 1986 325es
    How much and how to install.

1991 318is Daily driver 1986 325es 60K miles 1986 325es 2.7i 1989 325i Parts car

My Cars
    1998 e36
    I wrote how much the emulator costs, didn't you read my post?
    Look at the photo, remove stock chip and install emulator thats it. I am not selling this, I posted the links where you can buy the emulator, software is free.

My Cars
    88 325is
    Very cool, thanks for sharing. Much better than doing it the old way.

My Cars
    '89 e30 mash up...
    How hard is this to use for a would be first time tuner?

My Cars
    1998 e36
    about the same as megasquirt but it is easier sense stock ecu is already tuned you are just making it better

Make your own MAF conversion for under $50, I did it
    While back I wanted to do my own mass airflow conversion to replace that flap door air flow meter so I started looking at recent models cars air mass sensors and their data. I found one where it takes 5v reference from the ecu also has integrated air temperature sensor, perfect for conversion. With exception of you got to power it by 12 volt source. It is from 2003 Hyundai accent 1.6L, bosch part number 0 280 218 106 or Hyundai part number 28100-2Y100. 5 pin mass meter.
    The integrated air temperature sensor has the same resistance output as stock air temp sensor making it ideal. So I bought this sensor from the local junk yard for $30, I also got the plug for it, I also had one bad stock air flow meter so I took the plug from it to make an male adaptor to stock AFM harness. I wired it properly and supplied ignition switched, 12 volt source to it from near by socket, look at the picture.
    No wire swaping at the DME is needed, no soldering at the ecu none. A pure $100 plug in mas meter conversion, I found a rubber hose and made a adaptor to fit it to stock air cleaner boc, all though I need to make it a bit better but for now its ok.
    Car started right up but it ran rich(obviously). So I installed AEM uego 02 wideband guage meter to see what’s going on with air fuel ratio. Sense this mass meter is from 1.6L car it is obvious that it will sensitive for 2.5L engine, so the DME software needs some tuning. I installed my eprom emulating ECU together with emulator ostrich2.0 with tracing ability, connected my laptop, loaded free software tunerpro and definition file for DME 173 ecu and went to air flow meter map to trim it down a bit. I had to disconnect stock 02 sensor to prevent DME lambda correction and air fuel ratio at idle was about 11 to 1, so I tuned few values down and adjusted the flow constants and got the idle fuel ratio nailed at 14.7. Then I went for test drive and I was surprised that the air fuel ratio was right on, cruise about 14 to 16 to 1, and full load full throttle high rpm was around 13 to 1, might be little rich for naturaly aspirated car but for start it is fine. It was hot day in Phoenix and I feel bad for my car, I did some heavy acceleration to tune this ECU file and it is done and I am happy about it. Connected the stock 02 back and it runs smooth, I can’t tell much difference because I got automatic tranny, it is a dog.
    I will share this information because I am BMW enthusiast and if more people get involved the sooner we will brake the Motronic code and MS will not be needed, but unfortunately many bmw tuners are greedy and just look for profits but these are old cars it should not be a secret anymore. I posted my MAF tune at ecuproject.com under BMW motronic forum so if you got someone to burn you a 27C256 chip go for it. Total money that I spent for this is less than $50, you can’t really beat that. Maybe I should look for another MAF sensor that better matches the DME map so that way there is room for bigger injectors and maybe room for turbo application. I don’t know much abut miller maf systems but I heard you got to cut wires at the ecu and I don’t like that idea.
    Sensor wiring information:
    Hyundai bosch sensor
    Pin 1: Air temp sensor output to ecu
    Pin 2: 12 volt input( see photo from where I got it)
    Pin 3: Ground for maf sensor and air temp sensor
    Pin 4: 5 volt input from ecu
    Pin 5: 0-5 volt signal to ecu
    BMW afm plug
    Pin 1: air temp sensor input to ecu(Hyundai sensor pin 1)
    Pin 2: maf signal 0-5 volt input to ecu(Hyundai sensor pin 5)
    Pin 3: 5volt refrence from the ecu (Hyundai sensor pin 4)
    Pin 4: ground source from ecu to sensor (Hyundai sensor pin 3)
    Engine idles smooth, start right up, and air fuel ratio stays close to stock application, I did not hope that it will work out so well.
    I posted the video of the engine running with the MAF installed and also video of map tracing the DME 173 ecu.
    Here are the links:
    Engine running with MAF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDkJ7Rut0vo
    Tracing, and tuning software
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F2VjIFNID0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F2VjIFNID0[/ame]

http://www.photodump.org/stored27/hyndaimaf007.jpg
    http://www.photodump.org/stored27/hyndaimaf011.jpg
    http://www.photodump.org/stored27/hyndaimaf013.jpg
    http://www.photodump.org/stored27/hyndaimaf015.jpg
    http://www.photodump.org/stored27/hyndaimaf010.jpg
    http://www.photodump.org/stored27/hyndaimaf006.jpg
    Last edited by hakentt; 05-14-2009 at 07:24 PM.

My Cars
    TRM Stage 1.34
    VERY Nice!!!!

I love seeing people using Craig's hardware for awesome tuning projects.

Are there a significant number of people tuning BMWs on ECUproject.com? I might have to sign up and check it out...
    No PMs. Email through forum please.

My Cars
    1990 325is
    Very nice! Please, please do this for the 413 ECU as well!

My Cars
    TRM Stage 1.34
    Quote Originally Posted by hoveringuy View Post
    Very nice! Please, please do this for the 413 ECU as well!
    Hey Steve, if you do a bit of a search around here, you'll find a ton of 413 info already.

My Cars
    1990 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Hey Steve, if you do a bit of a search around here, you'll find a ton of 413 info already.
    It's not this developed.

My Cars
    1987 325is Sleeper
    way kool
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,
    -----Richard -----"Family Guy Budget Racer"-----
    Delphin Metallic '87 325is sleeper (Cardinal Red interior) money pit

My Cars
    Unicycle
    This method of tuning is great, couple it with the WAR Chip to make it even better. The WAR Chip comes with a tuning interface, albeit, not as complex so that it is easier for first timers. However, if you know what you are doing, you can tune using the above method and through the tune file(s) on the WAR Chip to switch between tunes on the fly.

Leaving the Ostrich in the car isn't a permanent solution as it is intended to be an emulator. The WAR Chip is a permanent solution! With the ability to load 4 tunes onto the Chip and select between them on the fly, you now have flexibility that is not possible with traditional chips

My Cars
    1998 e36
    I have been working on BMW Motronic 1.3 software for while now, I got to the point where I can manipulate many things. Stock dme 173 software has bunch of low resolution part throttle and full throttle maps, I managed to rewrite the code totaly where DME would use one single WOT map and one single part throttle map. So instead of having 20 maps in software there is only 4 high resolution maps. I expended the maps to acomodate raised rev limit, and new 4 maps are in much higher resolution, part throttle maps are now 16x16 instead of 6x16, and WOT maps are now 1x32 instead of 1x16.
    Now user need to tune only one map when tuning dme for E30 with M20 engine.

Ive run my car for while now testing this and it works fenomenal, there is no check engine light at all, car runs smooth, air fuel ratio stays where it should,

My Cars
    E21 325i,E30 323i
    Hakentt thats awesome! I'm using Ostrich 2.0 for M1.1, M1.2 and M1.3 for now. How have you managed to get real time AFM opening slider change during a running engine (yellow bar that changes if you give some gas)? I'm really interested how you did that. Is it possible with the just the Ostrich?

Hope you can help me.

My Cars
    1998 e36
    I am using a beta version of software that is still in the works, you will have to wait for it. Then you will be able to use address watch trace.

My Cars
    E21 325i,E30 323i
    Thanks for the update, i'm looking forward to buy/use it!

My Cars
    Moby Dick the whale.
    I would buy this if I knew it would work on an 027 ecu.

What sucks is I actually had the MAF from my old Hyundai and sold it. Would the sensor from a 6 cylinder Hyundai work better?
    Molon Labe.

My Cars
    e34
    hakentt can you share some info ,like aldl definitions and scalers. also the rev limited. any way to make it one? I have some really nice xdf files for other cars if that would help you any with the 173.

Donnie
    allaboutspeed@msn.com

My Cars
    1998 e36
    Quote Originally Posted by draccent View Post
    I would buy this if I knew it would work on an 027 ecu.

What sucks is I actually had the MAF from my old Hyundai and sold it. Would the sensor from a 6 cylinder Hyundai work better?
    I made one from Volvo S70 it works little better with bigger injectors

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1276719

,like aldl definitions and scalers
    Never used ALDL so I don't know

Rev limit is the first one, and rest of them ECU just uses sometimes that is why it is good idea to mod them all

My Cars
    e34
    Well whats up here , you post a tread, show half the info needed then show us your correct setup with just a few maps and map trace.

up to a few weeks ago the bin and xdf file didn't correct the checksum, i had a check engine light when ever changes were made. The new xdf seems to have it as I havent had a cel yet.

can you give some info into this.

Also to miller . you can by a burn1(chip programmer) and take the ostrich out , and have more then one bin on a chip with a switch and change on the fly also.

I understand you not liking this, If I had the bmw tuning community by the balls and some one came up with some thing that could make me loss my tight grip. I'd try to knock it to.

I'm not stating any thing , but it sounds like you are worried about this software.

Donnie
    Last edited by speedsex; 07-31-2009 at 02:45 AM.

My Cars
    1998 e36
    You don't need to worry about checksum on Motronic 1.1 and 1.3 versions.

I updated the XDF file for tunerpro, there are more things added to it. Now the flexibility is there that one does not even need to go with stand alone engine management. And it is free.
    screenshot:
    http://www.photodump.org/stored29/DME173listtunerpro.jpg

My Cars
    e34
    The new xdf file looks alot better, is it setup for map trace?

Donnie

My Cars
    TRM Stage 1.34
    Map tracing should work fine with it once the new TunerPro comes out.

My Cars
    1998 e36
    MAP trace is very stable and works great, with it today I found one more map that is not very important but nice to have. It is, deceleration closed loop control for idle valve.

My Cars
    e34
    Could you do boost tables ? nothing fancy, just like 6 added columns for fuel and timing.

Also is there any mafs you could covert it to that has after market support. like a dsm and use a maf translator or a older supra and use and hks vpc ?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast