Thread: 96 318i blower motor troubles

My Cars
    04 blazer02 cavalier

96 318i blower motor troubles

My son has a 96 318I, 151K miles on it and blower motor won't come on at any speed. Here is what history I know of the car. He has had it 3-4 years, had the digital control module rebuilt and the diode assembly(some call it a "sword"), due to fluctuating fan speeds that were random. We know the cabin filter needs replacing as the blower moter while it was blowing strong was not putting out the air it should have. Was waiting on some warm weather but he ran it the other day and all was well. The next morning nothing from fan. I have checked all fuses including the ones for the blower, heater, and all other fuses. I removed part of the front cover from firewall and I could see one of the blower wheels, and could turn it easily with a thin screwdriver, so I know the motor is not froze up like most do when they fail. What options do I have for testing? My thoughts are to remove the rest of the panels and see if I can run 12v direct to motor or see if 12v is getting there, but any chance another problem is there with either module? How big a pain is the removal of the motor, as well as cabin filter? Most posts I see are for older 318I or other BMWS.
    Last edited by jsgold; 03-01-2009 at 11:01 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    Is there air coming out of the vents when you drive around? Can you hear anything when playing with the controls?

I just had to replace the final stage resistor and that didnt fix my problem. I ended up having to replace a blower control valve or something like that and it cost like $532 to replace that and about $250 for the resistor parts and labor for both.

My Cars
    04 blazer02 cavalier
    I am not 100% about anything coming out of the vent. The blower itself is not moving but I know most cars still will move a little air when driving. It was cold last night and I think it was putting out a small amount of heat. The controls do make noise when I switch from one thing to another, just no air.

My Cars
    '06 Denali, '96 328i, '97 Jeep, '92 Miata
    My fan just quit on my 96 328i. Sounds like the same problem. Control panel works correctly, all of the doors open and close, fan lights go up and down, etc. Just no fan at all. Fuse is good. Anybody got a clue? Tal
    Montgomery, Al '96 328i, '96 Wrangler, '92 Miata, '06 Denali

My Cars
    1995 318i
    anyone?

My Cars
    BMW 318i

Blower motor bad

I saw a thread somewhere in Bimmerforum or the other forums on how they replace the blower on a 318i. My son's fan runs intermittently until it stopped. I went through replacing the resistor and the module fix before but finally it was actually the Blower motor that went bad. Basically, open the hood and the blower motor is located above the firewall near the windshield. To make it short, You have to removed the long black plastic wire housing and cover out of the way, I used the hook of a clotheshanger wire to unhook the strap that holds the motor. Then use a long pliers or vise grip to bend the metal top of the hole enough to pry out the blower motor. Does not look pretty and it was a little struggle but the trick works and you can bend it back nicely as you can when you install the new motor back. It worked good after that.

My other 318i got the same problem a year later and I was lazy to do the same thing on it, so what I did instead of removing the blower motor I just sprayed pressurized can air to clean all the dust buildup on the blower fan and concentrated on spray cleaning the motor in the middle of the fans. I even used Qtips to reach inside and clean the motor. After that I sprayed Electric lubricant on the motor while hand spinning it. After much cleaning and put back the cover it started to work. That was over a year ago and the blower was still working without replacing it. I don't know if I was just lucky doing this shortcut.

Goodluck.

My Cars
    318I,CTSV,328IS,M3,135i
    I just spent hours working on my 1995 318. I managed to get the entire motor and fans out in one piece! I removed the windshield wiper assembly, 5 bolts and wiggled it around until it came out. I left the electrical hooked up. Disconnect the little clips way at the back of the drivers side end of the blower assembly. I managed to break the top plastic housing for the blower. (It is connected to the passenger side end cap of the blower assembly.)
    I had to cut a little bit of plastic in the center bottom of the housing and then I managed to wiggle the entire thing out on the drivers side. What a job!
    I'm waiting for the replacement fan/wheels before I put it back together.

My Cars
    '96 318i Vert 5spd
    Quote Originally Posted by jeprocs32 View Post
    My other 318i got the same problem a year later and I was lazy to do the same thing on it, so what I did instead of removing the blower motor I just sprayed pressurized can air to clean all the dust buildup on the blower fan and concentrated on spray cleaning the motor in the middle of the fans. I even used Qtips to reach inside and clean the motor. After that I sprayed Electric lubricant on the motor while hand spinning it. After much cleaning and put back the cover it started to work. That was over a year ago and the blower was still working without replacing it. I don't know if I was just lucky doing this shortcut.

Goodluck.
    Thanks for this info. I may have to try this!

I think I have the same problem with my 318. Some days the blower will work other days it won't. Sometimes it just works in the morning but then in the afternoon it doesn't. I don't think it's the FSU since when it does work it has no problem with changing speeds so that leads me to think it's a loose connection or something with the blower.

One question, how did you gain access to the blower to clean it up? Was it a pain to get to?

I'll add one more bit of info. I bought the car recently and had the Climate Control Module replaced because it had the common capacitor problem so I think the PO didn't have the HVAC working for quite a while which means the blower had been idle the whole time. I'm a believer that when things sit and don't work for a while they tend to be a lot more prone to breaking sooner once they are used.
    Last edited by evdrive; 06-10-2009 at 11:19 AM.

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    I have a new blower for my project car and I started to remove the old motor and stopped. I had everything loose and could maneuver the fan so I could the fan out. I guess I will do this before I put the cylinder head on because it is much easier. There are two ways to get the fan out. Either bent or cut the top cowling (where the rubber weather strip goes around) or cut it to bend it out of the way and wiggle around the wiper assembly. The other as mentioned is getting the wiper assembly moved and still you may have to bend the cowling up to get the fan out.

Ok yes a pain but I think most of these fans just need brushes so if you have a good alternator or starter shop you might see if they can rebuild it. Much cheaper that way.

There is yet another aux panel that it seems no one checks so I will tell you where it is and what to check.

Under the drivers side under the knee crush panel (which means you need to remove it) there is a panel with a 40A thermo fuse and another relay. You will have to search around for it but that aux panel is almost never checked because no one knows it exists. If your blower motor runs fine cold but when warm stops and will not restart most likely what is happening is that the fan motor brushes are bad and pulling more amps, the 40A fuse opens thus no fan turning. Once cool the fan is not pulling that same amp load so it works.

I know for my car that when I ran the air the fan would never but once I changed a water pump and ran the heater thus the whole area was hot it would initially start and run but if shut off never restart.

So check that panel too if you think this might be your problem.

I dread having to pull this thing again to get the new motor in....

My Cars
    e36 4 door 325i

Blower motor or FSU

Hey gang new guy here! My blower was working on the two highest settings but recently quit. Then the recirculation button lights up and will not turn off. Ac light doesnt light at all. Some hear trickles out of the defrost vents and floor?

What part to replace on this issue? I bought a blower motor but now after reading think it could be the FSU???

Help please!

David

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    David:
    If you have a 325i you don't have a FSU but a resistor pack. Actually if your blower works on the highest setting and none others that means your resistor pack has failed because the highest setting is a direct connection to the fan.
    So that means more than likely if you have checked fuse 20 which is a 30A fuse and that doesn't help than it is the fan.

If you have a friend help you it is a solid 4 hour job. I would suggest printing out a couple DIYs on this to aid you in the work. Key is to get the wiper arms off. Do that well before you do this and that way save you a lot of lost time if they are stuck on there. I would suggest a battery cable puller or wiper arm puller so that you do not damage the wiper arms. I would also suggest pulling the wiper assembly off and just move it an inch to the driver's side. That will allow the fan to drop in and make the job a lot easier.

I think I posted those DIYs when I replied to others with this problem. The biggest scare for me is pulling the wiper assembly because I didn't want to not only not have a fan but then not have wipers. It was not an issue, they were fairly easy to remove and install again...

My Cars
    e36 4 door 325i

Thanks Fun2drive

I appreciate your response. The blower sounds like its working on all settings but just no air coming out. Air only trickles out on the highest setting but just barely. I will check the resistor pack and check all my fuses! Hope that works. Its an old car with many other problems(Front struts need replaced, rear shocks and I bet the shock mounts as it shakes badly when hitting a bump!) but I am fixing it up as the looks are still there and I love the handling. I used to have porsches but tired of the little back seat! I am going to try to make an M3+ out of this one and add a turbocharger set up! Thanks again for the response!
    Last edited by Dwescoat; 03-19-2010 at 11:51 AM.

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    If the fan is working and no air is coming out then the microfilter might be plugged but more likely the control knob that directs air to various locations is off it right setting. It is a geared assembly so just pull the climate control unit out enough to see the gears and see if they are working right.
    If that is OK the last thing would be a linkage that has come off. This is best done by pulling the glove box so you can see what is going on.
    Sounds like the only real problem besides fan speed is that your linkage or control knob is not set to a location that allows air to come out of the dialed locations.

You could move the know around to different locations and check the results. If there is no result on any setting than it would point to a linkage that has come off or a plugged microfilter....

My Cars
    e36 4 door 325i

Great will try that

I will see what happens this weekend and let you know. I appreciate the advice!

My Cars
    e36 4 door 325i

Angry Resistor pack change still no air flow

Fun2drive,
    Thanks for your responses. I was out of town so just tried your advice this weekend. The resistor pack changed out and my A/C light goes on and off and I can hear the compressor cycle but now no airflow out of the vent to your face, Some to the feet and a little to the defroster. Would you have any idea or is it time to replace the blower motor itself? I hear it still and it responds to the 4 switch detents at least I hear it.

Thanks,

David

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    It sounds like your linkage or linkage control is off not much else, you hear the compressor cycle thus the coolant is flowing inside the plenum and you have fan motor operation. Did I recall you swapped climate control units out?
    It does sound like the linkage or servo driving some of the linkage is messed up or fallen off. Unfortunately the only way to fix this is to start taking the glove box out, the underpanel under the glove box, the climate unit itself, etc.
    You need to investigate what things look like to see if you can see anything off. All the servos do is move a flapper so it will be under the dash.

Best suggestion I can offer...

My Cars
    e36 4 door 325i
    Thanks again I will try this weekend to change the microfilter and check the linkage you mentioned! Then last resort is to try the Blower motor I bought already and swap them to see if that caused it! I appreciate your comments!