Thread: $100 oil change.... WTF? Help.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 745Li

Exclamation $100 oil change.... WTF? Help.

Yeah I have an appointment for a $100 oil change. It's for full Mobil 1 synthetics and filter. After talking to my friends I have decided this is complete BS and Im going to get all the parts and take my car to Jiffy Lube.

I need to know the Viscocity (5W30?) and how much to buy. Also is it true that target is selling Mobil 1 for $3.50 a quart now? How much should I pay.

Thanks as usual!

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740iL
    You'll need 8 quarts of Mobil 1 0w30 or 5w30 but I'm not sure about that $3.50 price @ Target. I've seen it usually on sale around ~$4.00 at Target, Kmart, Autozone, Pep Boys, etc. Also, make sure you get an OEM filter kit w/washers from the Dealer, ~$12.00 or one of our "Supporting Vendors" for less than ~$9.00.

Good luck,
    - Mike D.
    ACS Front Spoiler | Bavarian Autosport Strut Bar | Bilstein HD Struts | Dinan Cold Air Intake | Dinan Stage II Software
    Eisenmann High Performance Exhaust | H&R Stage II Sport Springs | Mobile Video & Bass Upgrades.

My Cars
    tank
    don't take your car to those people who don't care about your car like a jiffy lube. I heard nightmare stories about some of them.

Some idiot once nearly stripped the thread off my sparkplugs from my beater... that is the last time I ever let some off the wall nut touch my car....
    Sorry... the server is too busy to fulfill your request. Please try again later.

My Cars
    E32 1993 740i
    yeah... the thing that gets the oil change cost up there is the labor charge.

labor charges at most dealerships are ~$90/hr. if you sweet talk them, you may be able to get a bit of a discount. one thing i learned is that you can haggle with the svc department on charges just like you can haggle with the sales department.

whichever option you take, good luck!

My Cars
    01 740i Sport - 99 528iT Sport
    If you love your car and plan to keep it for awhile, don't take it to one of those Jiffy Lube, Quick Lube, KY Lube, etc. type places. They're poorly run and the guys working on your car are not up to specs. I took my Acura Legend over there and had them change the fluids. What I got back was a torn oil pan bolt and a broken radiator cap. The radiator assembly had to be replaced and the total cost was over 500 dollars. Before they work on your car you have to sign a waver that prevents them from being responsible for any damage they cause. Not cool.

I recommend taking it to a certified independent mechanic. Theyre cheaper than the dealer and about as good, if better. They normally charge around 50-60 bucks for oil changes.

ATW5
    Last edited by allthewayfive; 07-31-2003 at 02:16 PM.
    Al

2001 740i Sport - Anthracite - Steptronic - Tint - Clears - M Pars - Stock
    1999 528iT Sport - Titanium Metallic - Tint - Basketweave 17's - Stock
    2000 Lexus LX 470 - Black - DVD - Chromed 16's - Stock

My Cars
    99 M3(RIP), 97 M3 Se
    just do it yourself, i think it's easier that washing the car......
    give it a wack!!!!!! and see how much better you feel about doing the work yourself, not to mention you'll be saving money :-)

My Cars
    tank
    Definately true... I am too lazy to wash my car (I bring it in) but DIY or someone trustworthy is the way to go!
    Sorry... the server is too busy to fulfill your request. Please try again later.

nothing wrong with quick lube places. been taking all my cars there for $20 oil changes all the time and no problems. just check the place out to see if it's reliable.

no reason to pay more than $25 for a rip-off dealer oil change.
    used to have a E32 740i. Mercedes E class now.
    --also an E36 ->so good, so reliable.

My Cars
    '99 Z3 , '97 740iL, '90 735iL, '65 Sunbeam Alpine
    Why don't you diy?
    Sig courtesy of ///Maniac

'99 Z3 2.3 '97 740iL '90 735iL
    '65 Sunbeam Alpine - Pimpmobile

My Cars
    2002 BMW 745Li
    What visco for southern california should i use, 5w30?

My Cars
    98 740IL 01 530 Sport
    There's only one person who will do it right, and that's you with a few simple tools.
    Check your owners manual as to viscosity, use Mobil 1, (it's approved by BMW), Mobil 1 is on sale now at Walmart for $18.88 for a 5 qt jug. Get an OEM oil filter from a BMW dealer and go to E38.org for instructions on changing oil, it's easy and you'll have $25.00 to $35.00 in the change.
    While you're under the hood, you can check radiator (cold) level, PS level, Brake fluid level, and what most people forget the battery level. Then give under the hood a good inspection for leaks, especially around the water pump. (anti freeze leaks will look like corrosion spatters), the air filter and HVAC filters. You can find how to do all of this on E38.org. When you're done you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you got a ten times better service that you would have at any garage.
    Underneath the car you can rely on the "no leakee, no checkee" theory, just make sure you give it a good inspeciton for any signs of leaking anywhere.

My Cars
    tank
    also, use synthetic oil...not the reg stuff...keep your engine happy......

My Cars
    1997 M3
    damn what a rip off. Oil change should not cost more then 45 ish; oil and filter kit

My Cars
    '91 850i '95 840Ci,
    It is actually an Oil Service not just an oil change.

They are supposed to do an inspection at the same time. So they can find more things to charge you for?

I do mine for myself for free so it only costs for the oil and filter.
    Terry
    '95 840Ci Arctic Silver
    '98 740i Arctic Silver
    '98 SVT Cobra Mustang Convertible
    www.wuffer.net
    www.8coupe.com
    www.8er.org