Thread: Different oxygen sensor connector

My Cars
    '89 635csi, '11 535iX

Different oxygen sensor connector

I went under my car to replace my O2 Sensor today. When I disconnected the plug for my old sensor, I noticed that the old one has 2 male and 2 female pins. My new "Direct Fit" Bosch sensor has 4 female pins. It lookes like the one in the picture. Is my car the only one with the 2 male/2 female pins?? My old connector doesn't have the big round cap either.

Should I just go get a universal O2 sensor?? I'm not afraid to splice wires, I just heard to always go with a direct fit.

Another thing, I couldn't get a good grip on the old sensor to pull it out. All of my wrenches were too long to get in there. I tried an open mouth wrench and an adjustable wrench. The sensor is located on the top of my catalytic convertor. Any 'easy' way to get this out without ordering the 'special' bmw o2 sensor remover??

My Cars
    See sig
    someone will correct me if i am wrong, but i believe you can just get the generic o2 sensor removing from your local auto parts store...

My Cars
    Looking
    you can, i got mine from haygood for 50
    Currently looking for e24. PM me if you see anything interesting.

Also, looking for my old car. Sold it in 2014 to someone in Northern CA. He sold it shortly thereafter and doesn't remember to who. It was a bronzit '85 euro, lowered, headlight wipers/washers (that worked!), rear black spoiler, 5 speed, nutria interior (however i removed original buffalo leather interior and replaced with manual sport seats (front and rear).

My Cars
    '89 635csi, '11 535iX
    What did you get from haygood for $50?? The O2 sensor or the removal tool?

Does the generic removal tool work with this sensor? The only one I know about is the long socket with the slit in the side. The only worry I have is the lack of room to play with. I'm sure Autozone has a loaner O2 sensor removal tool available. I guess I'll check tomorrow.

Any advice on the connector though? Should I buy a universal sensor and use my old connector?

This is what my connector looks like:

Last edited by Quasi635; 02-17-2009 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    One too many....
    I've removed lots of O2 sensors and I know they can be a royal pain. The open end wrench you are using most likely won't work, you'll can end up stripping the hex on the sensor. I always use a box end wrench and a hammer. Get the box end to fit on the best you can and tap the side of the wrench with the hammer in the loosening direction. With some patience it should start to loosen and come off.
    Installing the sensor is much the same. They usually come with anti-seize on the threads. There is no need to get it super tight because there is a crush washer on the sensor. Use the box end of the wrench and a few taps from a hammer to snug it up.
    Mine: 1988 635CSi Euro in Diamantschwarz Metallic, 1989 ALPINA B10 3.5 in Alpineweiss II, 1981 528i in Kastanienrot-Metallic, 1958 Isetta 300 currently in rust repair
    In the family: 1958 Isetta 300 in Federweiss/Pastellblau, 1987 635CSi, 2000 M5
    My YouTube Channel

My Cars
    '87 635Csi & 3 MG's
    Sounds like they sold you the wrong O2 Sensor. Get the right one?

My Cars
    '89 635csi, '11 535iX
    The sensor they sold me is the same one listed on ebay as the one for the e24 car.

If I get a universal sensor, do I have to use my old connector or do they come with a few?