Thread: Power Steering Fluid/ATF

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i Sedan

Power Steering Fluid/ATF

So I want to change my Power steering fluid but when I went to AutoZone, they don't seem to have the kind that BMW recommends. What I did find was Valvoline Max Life ATF Dex/Merc equivolent. The other stuff I found was Dex/Merc IV and Dex/Merc V.

Anyone do this DIY and found the same issue with missing Dex/Merc III and what did you use as a substitute?

thanks

My Cars
    '97 328i
    I couldn't find plain old dex3 so I just used some Pennzoil ATF that says 'for use in vehicles previously serviceable by dexron III'.

It's been in my car for a few weeks and no problems so far.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    I think Dex IV replaced III and is compatible.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
    I think Dex IV replaced III and is compatible.
    Any chance someone can confirm this? I don't know what the consequences are but putting the wrong fluid in the system but it's steering so I don't want to take the chance and my whole thing gets fouled up.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmkincaid View Post
    Any chance someone can confirm this? I don't know what the consequences are but putting the wrong fluid in the system but it's steering so I don't want to take the chance and my whole thing gets fouled up.
    I understand your concern, but I think it's more that it's ATF as opposed to power steering fluid. Maybe try the General BMW Mechanical Help forum. One of the techs over there might be able to answer that for you.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    '97 328i/6, '89f150
    there's this neat thing called the internet with lots of stuff on it besides bimmerforums. search sometimes, and stop trying to have everything spoonfed to you.
    -ducky

My Cars
    '97 328i/6, '89f150
    Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    Note: Older types of DEXRON exist that those shown below. They were removed from the market decades ago and are no longer relevant to modern automobiles.

[edit] Dexron-III

Per General Motors:

• DEXRON-III is not compatible with the most recently designed transmissions, and the use of these earlier type fluids could result in transmission damage. [1]

• All DEXRON-III licenses expired at the end of 2006, and will not be renewed. Beyond that date, General Motors will only support the use of DEXRON-VI fluids for use in Hydra-Matic transmissions.[1] Fluids claiming Dexron III type performance continue to be sold under abbreviated names such as Dex/Merc, and D/M however since the DEXRON-III licensing system no longer exists, these fluids are not regulated in any way.

[edit] Dexron-VI

DEXRON-VI was introduced in 2005. It was designed to replace all prior specifications, and is therefore backwards-compatible with applications calling for DEXRON of any type. It's chemical formula allows for improved shift feel, longer service life, and increased fuel economy.

how hard was that? like...5 mins?

EDIT:3 mins...
    -ducky

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by ducky328i View Post
    there's this neat thing called the internet with lots of stuff on it besides bimmerforums. search sometimes, and stop trying to have everything spoonfed to you.
    Wow, such a lame;

Maybe I'm on the streets and I have someone posting this for me while I'm searching local Autozones and Strauss stores?

Maybe the people that actually work there should know that D/M 3 was decomissioned and that instead I should use 4?

Maybe my iPhone's 3G network wasn't fast enough to give me the answer I need?

Excuse me if I was looking for the fluid that the DIY's posted. I mean like ALL of the DIY's.

Wow, such an epic fall. Seriously, you didn't need to answer if that's the best you can come up with.

how hard was that? like...5 mins?

EDIT:3 mins...
    Thanks for searching. 3 minutes as oppose to spending a Sunday looking for a fluid that doesn't exist
    Last edited by ryanmkincaid; 02-08-2009 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '97 328i
    *sigh*

My Cars
    '97 328i/6, '89f150
    Thanks for searching. 3 minutes as oppose to spending a Sunday looking for a fluid that doesn't exist
    auto stores around me sell dexronIII ....go to walmart, or oreillys...
    -ducky

My Cars
    1993 325i M50 E36
    Mine has a slow leak right at the bottom of the pump. I traced the hose down and it leads to a steel cable that the rubber cable crimps on to... Anyone have experience changing this? not sure how to remove the cable to replace it - In the meantime i carry a long funnel in the trunk and a bottle of the cheap cheap super tech ATF available at walmart for under $2... I'll invest in the good stuff when it stops leaking.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i Sedan
    auto stores around me sell dexronIII ....go to walmart, or oreillys...
    No walmarts in NYC area and never heard of oreillys. I'm going to use the Dexron IV, but I'll call Bavauto first to verify.

On another note, I'm hoping we're cool now.

Just checked BavAuto and saw that they sell something called D4 ATF. I'm assuming that Dex/Merc 4 stuff so I'll be going with that. Will let you know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by tmyhilfgr View Post
    Mine has a slow leak right at the bottom of the pump. I traced the hose down and it leads to a steel cable that the rubber cable crimps on to... Anyone have experience changing this? not sure how to remove the cable to replace it - In the meantime i carry a long funnel in the trunk and a bottle of the cheap cheap super tech ATF available at walmart for under $2... I'll invest in the good stuff when it stops leaking.
    you should check to see if it's the washers themselves that might need replacing or if the bolt needs to be torqued. This is the DIY that I'm using as it seems to be the easiest way to do a complete flush.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=140947

Also the guy that wrote up the DIY said he had a leak but it wasn't the hose, it was the clamps so I'd check those as well.
    Last edited by ryanmkincaid; 02-09-2009 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    93' 325i & 08 Altima
    I think i added the wrong power steering fluid. Its been in there about 2 days im gonna change it.From what i been reading Mobil one ATF will do right? or ATF DIII
    Apexcone headlights, Smoked corners, Turner motorsports chip,Cold air Intake, Alpine cda-9885, Diamond Audio 1200.1 & 10" Diamond Audio D9d2.

My Cars
    Focus 1.0 liter & 318ti
    General Motors has a memo out saying DO NOT put Dexron 6 in manual transmissions or transfer cases that specify Dexron 3. So, one could conclude not to put it into power steering systems that require Dexron 3. Maybe it'll be fine, maybe not.

I have Resolute brand (cheapo generic stuff from the farm supply store) Dexron 3 in my power steering and automatic transmission. They've been working perfectly now for years in temps from -25F to 100F.
    Last edited by CirrusSR22; 03-03-2009 at 12:03 PM.

My Cars
    '96 M3
    Dexron II or III.

My Cars
    1998 E36 M3 Auto-Sedan

Talking To Post or Not To Post A Reply

there's this neat thing called the internet with lots of stuff on it besides bimmerforums. search sometimes, and stop trying to have everything 'spoon fed' to you.
    I do not know, as I've read the posts quite often when researching questions and answers, etc., and just general opinions. I have professionals who own dealerships and repair shops specifically for imports and one for BMW Only here in Cincinnati, Ohio.

I have seldom had any reason to reply but for some reason tonight I had mixed emotions about why you are here. When I read your first REPLY where you were snide, rude and remarked about how people should research for themselves and not come here to be 'spoon fed' answers. I found this quite contrary to what this site offers.
    It has always offered a place for people to shoot the breeze about their beloved vehicles, offer opinions and suggestions and quite more to the point ANSWER to the point to the best of one's ability to those who have a QUESTION. If this is NOT what you want to do, why even waste your time to make such a snide remark and be a jerk about it? Why waste the post? Why waste the time, the bandwidth, etc? It makes no sense.

You redeemed yourself only by giving an Answer afterward, but you couldn't even leave THAT answer without adding "that took all of 5 minutes". Well, goody goody for you brother. Some people are really good with vehicles, some really good with research, some neither, some both and if you want to be a a part of the forums, why not share your opinions and answers if you so choose to do so, otherwise, just hush. As the old addage says, "IF you cannot say anything nice, don't say anything at all". And yes, this is my first formal post and it was born out of you being such a jerk to a relevant question.

Was is so horrible for that fella' to ask that question? Did you have to answer it? Nope. He broke no 'netiquette' rules.

As the site itself lists in Forum Rules:
    Respect
    Don't Be Afraid to Post
    Feel Free to "Lurk" and Listen
    Tap into an Incredible Fountain of Information
    Welcome Newcomers
    Agree to Disagree, Respectfully
    Don't Attack Each Other
    Discussing Topics with Supporting Vendors
    Non-Supporting Vendors
    Keep Your Posts, Avatars and Signatures Clean
    Off-Topic Forum
    Quality, Not Quantity
    Images and Linking
    Carfax
    Finally We Reserve the Right

And more so -

TAP INTO AN INCREDIBLE FOUNTAIN OF INFORMATION

Whether you're looking for answers to an engine concern, buying a new set of tires or ready to install a turbocharger, our members are here to help. Tell others about your experiences and they will tell you about theirs! Bimmerforums.com is your place to get the answers you need and talk about the things that interest you most. Take care to ensure that your threads go in the correct section before starting threads. If your thread is no longer in the forum you created it in, search for it as it was likely towed to another location we felt suit the topic better.

So your OPINION has been rewarded with a snide remark as you seem to think this is the form of how to address people. Just consider it an observatiocome here as newcomers which the Posting Rules also say:

WELCOME NEWCOMERS

When newcomers arrive, say "hi" and welcome them to our growing community. Many of our community's "old timers" (regardless of age) are a wealth of knowledge and have much to share. Help new folks "learn the ropes" about how to find information and resources, save time, and how to get involved with our growing membership. Remember to give patience to new members as they explore the forums. Being rude to new members is highly discouraged.

I feel I've proved my point and I will continue to look for answers here from those who feel friendly enough to supply an answer and for those who ask and I have the answer, I will return the kindness.

I believe I replied to you without being outright rude. I supplied you with Forum Rules and how it felt to meet YOUR statement as a 'newcomer' and perhaps the person you slighted was also a newcomer. I am sure the admins of this site would prefer people to ask whatever they may wish without people like you slamming them for asking questions. In doing research, I am sure they feel this is a place they want people to come.

Anyway, I don't expect nor require a reply. Just think about what a decent person would do if asked a question. And think about the next time you need an answer you cannot find so easily. Some have better skills searching the internet for answers and this site seems as good as any to come for an answer.

You take care, God bless, and I hope it was just a bad day for you, and thanks for at least answer the poor guy.

MediaGod

My Cars
    94 325i
    Its tranny fluid. Put in dex 3, dex 6, merc5, atf4, type f, all everything import atf, gas station atf that just says ATF on the bottle, it don't matter. You're not using it to transfer drive thru a torque converter and lubricate the clutches and bands inside a slushbox. In that application the right atf is the difference between a good and a dead transmission. In a power steering system it don't matter. Psf will never get as hot as atf, and there's no slipping clutch packs and bands in a ps system, so the kind and amount of friction modifiers (which are what really is the difference between atfs) doesn't matter either.

Just get dexron 3 if you haven't bought fluid yet, its the cheapest. If you already bought fluid, it don't matter what it is. And if you're looking for dexron 4, you're gonna be looking for a long long time

My Cars
    94 M-tech, 91 Vette
    Why do you say that? I bought dextron 4 at the local pep boys. It says right on the bottle it's backwards compatable.
    Premier Detailing
    1994 325is M-Technic

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Quote Originally Posted by mediagod2004 View Post
    I do not know, as I've read the posts quite often when researching questions and answers, etc., and just general opinions. I have professionals who own dealerships and repair shops specifically for imports and one for BMW Only here in Cincinnati, Ohio.

I have seldom had any reason to reply but for some reason tonight I had mixed emotions about why you are here. When I read your first REPLY where you were snide, rude and remarked about how people should research for themselves and not come here to be 'spoon fed' answers. I found this quite contrary to what this site offers.
    It has always offered a place for people to shoot the breeze about their beloved vehicles, offer opinions and suggestions and quite more to the point ANSWER to the point to the best of one's ability to those who have a QUESTION. If this is NOT what you want to do, why even waste your time to make such a snide remark and be a jerk about it? Why waste the post? Why waste the time, the bandwidth, etc? It makes no sense.

You redeemed yourself only by giving an Answer afterward, but you couldn't even leave THAT answer without adding "that took all of 5 minutes". Well, goody goody for you brother. Some people are really good with vehicles, some really good with research, some neither, some both and if you want to be a a part of the forums, why not share your opinions and answers if you so choose to do so, otherwise, just hush. As the old addage says, "IF you cannot say anything nice, don't say anything at all". And yes, this is my first formal post and it was born out of you being such a jerk to a relevant question.

Was is so horrible for that fella' to ask that question? Did you have to answer it? Nope. He broke no 'netiquette' rules.

Respect
    Don't Be Afraid to Post
    Welcome Newcomers
    Don't Attack Each Other
    Non-Supporting Vendors
    Off-Topic Forum
    Quality, Not Quantity
    Images and Linking
    Carfax

And more so -

Whether you're looking for answers to an engine concern, buying a new set of tires or ready to install a turbocharger, our members are here to help. Tell others about your experiences and they will tell you about theirs! Bimmerforums.com is your place to get the answers you need and talk about the things that interest you most. Take care to ensure that your threads go in the correct section before starting threads. If your thread is no longer in the forum you created it in, search for it as it was likely towed to another location we felt suit the topic better.

So your OPINION has been rewarded with a snide remark as you seem to think this is the form of how to address people. Just consider it an observatiocome here as newcomers which the Posting Rules also say:

WELCOME NEWCOMERS

When newcomers arrive, say "hi" and welcome them to our growing community. Many of our community's "old timers" (regardless of age) are a wealth of knowledge and have much to share. Help new folks "learn the ropes" about how to find information and resources, save time, and how to get involved with our growing membership. Remember to give patience to new members as they explore the forums. Being rude to new members is highly discouraged.

I feel I've proved my point and I will continue to look for answers here from those who feel friendly enough to supply an answer and for those who ask and I have the answer, I will return the kindness.

I believe I replied to you without being outright rude. I supplied you with Forum Rules and how it felt to meet YOUR statement as a 'newcomer' and perhaps the person you slighted was also a newcomer. I am sure the admins of this site would prefer people to ask whatever they may wish without people like you slamming them for asking questions. In doing research, I am sure they feel this is a place they want people to come.

Anyway, I don't expect nor require a reply. Just think about what a decent person would do if asked a question. And think about the next time you need an answer you cannot find so easily. Some have better skills searching the internet for answers and this site seems as good as any to come for an answer.

You take care, God bless, and I hope it was just a bad day for you, and thanks for at least answer the poor guy.

MediaGod
    Did you seriously just join to post that and bump a 4 year old thread?

My Cars
    94 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan777 View Post
    Why do you say that? I bought dextron 4 at the local pep boys. It says right on the bottle it's backwards compatable.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_numerals

Dexron vi. Not iv

My Cars
    e84, e36, e21
    Strong first post, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by mediagod2004 View Post

Respect
    Don't Be Afraid to Post
    Welcome Newcomers
    Don't Attack Each Other
    Non-Supporting Vendors
    Off-Topic Forum
    Quality, Not Quantity
    Images and Linking
    Carfax

And more so -

WELCOME NEWCOMERS

MediaGod

My Cars
    1994 E36
    4 year old thread???

<caught with his pants down again!!>