Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate 4 Cylinder to 6 Cylinder Swap Thread

My Cars
    335ti 360ti x5-6.0tt

Ultimate 4 Cylinder to 6 Cylinder Swap Thread

4 Cylinder to 6 Cylinder Swap Thread

This thread should only be used as a reference for swapping your 318ti, 318ic, 318i, 318is, or z3 1.8/9L engine for an OBDI engine or converted, OBDII to OBDI, 6 cylinder engine.

What will be covered in this basic DIY?

I. Engine names and designations
    II. Transmissions
    III. Clutch/flywheel setups
    IV. Differentials
    V. Engine-Chassis harness changes
    VI. DME (Digital Motor Electronics) Identification
    VII. Cooling system Components
    VIII. Common issues and questions
    IX. Pictures and videos of Progress

Engine names and designations

OBDI

M42B18 - Displacement for the M42B18 was 1.8 L (1796 cc). Cylinder bore is 84 mm, stroke is 81 mm, and it produces 103 kW (138hp), 175 N·m (129 ft-lb). Engine management is Bosch M1.7 fuel injection.

M50B25 – Displacement for the M50B25 is 2.5 L (2494 cc). Cylinder bore is 84mm, stroke is 75mm, and it produces 141 kW (189hp), 245 N·m (181 ft-lb).

S50B30 - Displacement for the S50B30 is 3.0L (2990 cc). Cylinder bore is 86mm, stroke is 85.8mm, and produces 179 kW (240hp).

OBDII

M44B19 - Displacement for the M42B19 was 1.9 L (1896 cc). Cylinder bore is 85 mm, stroke is 83.5 mm, and it produces 103 kW (138hp), 180 N·m (133 ft-lb). Engine management is Bosch M5.2 fuel injection.

M52B25 - Displacement for the M52B25 is 2.5L and is found in 323s and some 5 series.

M52B28 – Displacement for the M52B28 us 2.8L (2793 cc). Cylinder bore is 84mm, stroke is 84mm, and produces 142kW (192hp).

S52B32 - Displacement for the S52B32 is 3.2L (3201 cc). Cylinder bore is 86.4mm, stroke is 91.0mm.

Transmissions

6-Speed Manual
    5-Speed Manual
    5-Speed Auto
    4-Speed auto

The E36 has two kinds of transmissions for their engines, Getrag and ZF. The Getrag unit was used in 318s, 325s, and z3 1.9s. The ZF units have been matched up with the engines found in the M3, 328,and 6cyl z3s. The ZF transmission can be used in a chassis originally equipped with the Getrag unit but will require its shifter assembly and possibly a changeover for the driveshaft. Getrag units usually mate with a 4bolt driveshaft while ZF units came with either the 4bolt or the 6bolt unit driveshafts. Differentials used with the 318ti and z3 came with 4bolt flanges, so you will need to change one or the other to match if not originally equipped with the 4bolt end.

You can source a 6speed Manual transmission from the Euro M3 or E46 for a couple grand with matching driveshaft, shift assembly linkage, and clutch assembly. With this setup, using a 3.45, 3.64, 3.73 differential is economical due to 6th gear being an overdrive gear.

5-speed auto is only available in the M3 but can be retrofitted to the other chassis’ if its something the user would prefer over manual.

4-speed auto is standard for all non-m E36s equipped with an automatic transmission.

Clutch/flywheel setups

This is an area to think about from the beginning, you want to choose the correct one from the beginning, as it gets expensive changing these out at a later time not to mention the labor. Any E36 clutch assembly can be put in as long as its corresponding flywheel is used. Note that the slave cylinders are all the same for the non-m units while the m3 has a different slave to be mated with its clutch/flywheel setup. The stock m42/m44 clutch and flywheel will work with the 6cylinder models to a limit. If youre low on cash but still want to get the car back on the road quickly, the 4cylinder setup will work, but to a limit;I wouldn’t use it for any other purpose than daily driving. The next step up is the 325/328 clutch and flywheel, then the m3. After that, you get into aftermarket lightweight flywheels and more aggressive clutch assemblies.

NOTE:

If using a 4 cylinder flywheel and clutch, you can not use the alignment hole to match up cams and crank if needed at a later date on the 6 cylinder engines.

Differentials

The E24, E28, E30, z3, and 318ti all have interchangeable differentials. Manual transmission 318tis and z3s had either the 3.45/6 open or limited-slip unit while the Automatic versions received 4.44/5 open or limited-slip units. There are many ratios to suit the drivers need. 3.45 is about the midpoint of it all, 4.44 at the top, 2.79 at the bottom of ratios. Remember, the higher the ratio number, the quicker off the line you’ll be, but lower top speed you can achieve. The lower the ratio, the slower off the line you’ll be, but will have a higher top speed. Many of the differentials were equipped with a 25% lockup from the factory but custom units can be purchased online or user-built.

Engine-Chassis harness changes

Use the engine harness that came with the engine, plain and simple. No need in mixing and matching harnesses, it’ll only cause you headaches. You can use an automatic engine harness on a manual transmission setup, just ziptie the automatic wiring somewhere out of the way, do not attempt to hack it apart.

OBDI engine+harness to OBDII chassis.

It rehashes itself, so don’t get confused. These steps ONLY refer to the chassis’ wire harness in the engine bay and clip behind the cluster inside the dash.

• Cut #7 on X20 Main harness - Mine was Lime Green
    • Cut #8 on X20 Main harness, attach to #1 on the X6031 harness - Forgot what color that was on my car, but it attaches to the Grey wire on the smaller connector.

Next step is just for the X6031 Smaller Harness.
    • Wire #14, White and Black stripe must be connected to the Blue clipped harness behind the instrument cluster. Run a wire from #2 wire on the Blue connector, for the cluster, to #14 on the X6031 harness. Cut wire #14 to install this connection.

The 6cyl OBDI cluster will enable the Check Engine Light as well as the "Stomp Pedal" diagnostic that you can find on bimmerforums.com using the advanced search feature.

How to properly wire the new engine harness to the chassis.

Engine bay harnessing

DME (Digital Motor Electronics) Identification

Use the original DME that came with the engine. 92 M50B25 Non-vanos engines used 402 and 403 red label DMEs. 93-95 M50B25 Vanos engines used a red label 413 DME which can also be used on S50s and S52s with the S50 software chip. Also, in 95, the M50 was equipped with EWSII and is designated with a silver label instead of red. With the provision of the chassis/engine harness change, this is not an issue anymore but still has potential to cause issues. I’d advise just using the red label unit to have 100% assurance that EWS isn’t causing problems. There is also the 514 DME that can be used with the S50/S52 engine with EWS delete chip that you can get from a vendor.

You can not use a 402/403 on a Vanos engine nor can you use a 413 DME on a Non-Vanos engine. Buy your DME for your engine.

Cooling system Components

You can swap everything over from the 6cylinder for your cooling system. The 4cylinder setup will work, but not with the 4cylinder electric fan assembly. When using the 4 cylinder radiator, the lower hose will work from either the 4 or 6 cylinder but the top hose from the 6cylinder must be used and cut to size. You can also have a custom hose made from silicone or aluminum. Replace the waterpump, thermostat, and upgrade to a metal thermostat housing if not equipped. Fresh coolant should be used, do not reuse your old coolant. Also, replace any worn or brittle coolant hoses and connectors that are, otherwise, hard to service once the engine is installed.

Common issues and questions

• I can’t remove old engine from car, any useful tips?
    • Remove engine arms and mounts and you should be able to tilt the engine sideways a bit to clear the subframe and steering shaft.
    • When I tried to put in the new engine, the alternator hits the old power steering bracket, what do I do?
    • Remove this bracket from the chassis, you no longer need it.
    • All my electronics work, but engine still doesn’t start, what could be the problem?
    • Make sure that you’ve connected the correct wires to positive and ground. Once confirmed, check for ignition and fuel. If you don’t have ignition and fuel, check the crank position sensor for fault. If you have ignition but no fuel, check the fuel pump relay, fuse, cam position sensor, and then the pump itself.
    • Can I use a sedan or coupe 6cylinder exhaust setup? (Z3 and Ti specific)
    • Yes and no. You can use the headers and midpipes, but all non-ti catbacks are too long for the ti chassis. You will either need to have the catback fabricated by an exhaust shop or grab a 6cylinder catback from the z3 and have it mated up to your midpipes or other piping you have.
    • My state requires me to pass emissions, will I pass?
    • You may pass with the engines efficiency, but once they plug into the OBDII port, there will be no reading, thus failure in testing. OBDII to OBDII and OBDI to OBDI people don’t have a problem unless the engine is older than the vehicle and the tester makes note of it. Ohio doesn’t have emission testing, so I can’t go further into explanations.
    • What about my A/C, can I keep it?
    • I’ve deleted mine from the car, cant answer this question thoroughly, but the answer is yes.
    • Is the removal of the front end necessary to remove the engine and transmission?
    • The answer is no. I did it as part of the car’s tear down when I had major plans of repaint, otherwise, I would not have taken it apart.
    • Can i use my 4 cylinder gearbox with the 6 cylinder engine?
    • Yes, it will bolt up and handle the extra power.
    • Can I use my 4 cylinder cluster with my 6 cylinder engine?
    • The answer is yes. With the OBDII and OBDI incompatibility, the Check Engine Light will not illuminate while the OBDII cluster is installed with the OBDI engine electronics. Everything else will work except for the Tachometer. Since the software was designed for the 4 cylinder, it still counts 4 cylinders while running the 6 Cylinder engine. The readings will read about 66% above what the actual RPM is. To understand this better, refer to the video at the bottom of this post.
    • What engine mounts do I use?
    • You can use your stock engine mounts, but I would not recommend this as it stresses the transmission rubber mounts. If anything, upgrade to any e36 or e46 6cylinder engine mount, m3 being the stiffest of any of the stock mounts.
    • My car was equipped with Cruise Control, can I still use it?
    • Yes, but not with the stock cruise control actuator. This unit must be swapped over from another 6cylinder chassis that was equipped with Cruise Control.

Pictures and videos of the progress.

Engine dropped in video.
    [ame="http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o305/bluebimma/?action=view&current=PICT0037.flv"][/ame]

Engine drop in pics

Engine bay pics

[ame="http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o305/bluebimma/?action=view&current=DSCN1670.flv"][/ame]

[ame="http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o305/bluebimma/?action=view&current=DSCN1117.flv"][/ame]
    Last edited by Bluebimma; 04-14-2011 at 09:50 PM.

My Cars
    w205 C43, 958.1 CTT
    if the car is obd II and the new engine going in is also running obd II, you don't really have to do all of the Engine-Chassis harness changes you listed, right?

My Cars
    335ti 360ti x5-6.0tt

My Cars
    94 325i, 95 M3, 1997 325
    would probobly be easier to revert it back to obdI wouldn't it?
    Washedit1 by thedude60526, on Flickr
    11/10's Racing
    94 325i #36/64 TEAM PENISTON OILS/ LARSENS BISCUITS

My Cars
    1997 528i Montreal
    Question to the masters.

Swapped a spare m50 w/auto into a 318is auto. Trans light comes on as soon as it shifts into 2nd gear and wont leave the gear until car is shut off and left for a few seconds.

The 318is has the 4.44 lsd diff and I dont even know what the 325is has but I know its not 4.44. I've tried both trans ecu's and the one that came with the trans that is in it works the best. The one that came with the car trips the light as soon as the car is started and is always in second gear. The Trans shifts fine if I shift it by myself so I dont think the trans is messed up.

1) Does it seem like the Diff not being swapped with the motor has anything to do with this?

2) If I swap diffs, dont the axels have to be swapped as well? (I think I read that somewhere)

(Trying to finish some of my projects and rid myself of inventory)

My Cars
    335ti 360ti x5-6.0tt
    The software in the trans ecu is likely unable to calcuate such differences in the rear end as well as if there were tire size differences. Transams and firebirds of our e36 era have this issue as well with their automatic transmissions and rear end swaps, though i think they retain their ability to shift at a given point. They wont shift properly, in fact theyll produce slower numbers on the strip but are still able to shift into every gear without an issue. Im sure if you swap out the rear end or have the software updated for a 4.44 rear end, your issue will be solved.

If you swap out the rear end, use the driveshaft all the way to the wheels as the diff is a completely different size and youll end up with varying differences for bolting things back together.

My Cars
    335ti 360ti x5-6.0tt

My Cars
    318ti
    So pretty much the best swap with the least ammount of troubles into a 1996 318ti is probably the same year M3 swap? would I need the Mtrans and diff. too?

My Cars
    335ti 360ti x5-6.0tt

My Cars
    1994 318i

thanks!

that's great! thanks!

i also have a question about the S50B30 motor..would this transfer be worth it. it would be a much bigger hp gain but would it be to difficult for what you get out of it?
    Last edited by bimmer321; 09-02-2009 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    335ti 360ti x5-6.0tt

My Cars
    335ti 360ti x5-6.0tt

My Cars
    BMW E36 318iM50B25 Sedan
    Can i use a ZF 5HP18 Auto gearbox on a M42 318IS engine..?

My Cars
    335ti 360ti x5-6.0tt
    Not too sure, youll have to research that one yourself mate. Sorry.

Any e36 transmission will bolt up to any e36 engine, but as far as automatics go, the transmission computers and how it all talks to each other, im not positive on how it all corresponds with each other when mixing and matching.

I do know, here in the US, you can mate 6cyls with the m3 5speed automatic.
    Last edited by Bluebimma; 11-07-2009 at 05:27 PM.

My Cars
    1993 318i
    hey guys I am thinking if I should swap an m50 or s50 into my 318i. I was told that labor will cost me $1000CDN but can you guys tell me how much the parts will be approx.? I am on a budget of $4000 for the whole swap including labour so is $3000 going to be enough for the parts? Thanks in advance...and btw can you please tell me the prices for both the m50 and s50 and tell me which swap is more worth doing.

My Cars
    S52 times 2
    This is a bit puzzling.
    You stated all the above for a ti swap from OBDII->OBDI, listed an elaborate wiring feat to re route the wires. But yet some others are plug and play , or so you say.

So is there a reference table or some things to consider?

My problem is I have a 1997 M44 born Z3 I swapped a also 1997 model M52 in from an E36. I sent my DME off to Active and had the EWS removed and they assured me on EWSII/OBDII, there is no wires that need be cut. I have spark in two cylinders and my fuel pump relay has power on the DME grounding wire. What is the differences between the Z3 body harness on a 1.9 vs. a 2.8? All signs I have read say they aren't. Nor are the z3,ti, and 4 cyl e36 cars. Yet I have pinned out a few pins and some are not hot that should be, while others are hot and should be ground.

Now I am no rocket scientist,or do I pride myself on my electrical schematic prowess. But I know based on the simplest of logic , these pin outs are not mating up correctly.

Can you please advise?

My Cars
    335ti 360ti x5-6.0tt
    92-95 = OBDI with EWS0 or EWSI and Red labelled DME. EWS0 requires no cutting of the EWS wire, if loomed into the engine harness. EWSI requires cutting of the EWS wire, any swap will be enabled from an EWS stand point.

Late 95 = OBDI with EWSII and a silver labelled DME. Usually a 413 Silver labeled DME is mounted for an M50B25TU and can be swapped out for a Red labelled DME, thus, requiring just the cutting of the EWS wire to enable the swap without EWS interference. Without cutting the EWS wire, you can install the proper engines software and EWS delete software in a chip.

96-99 = OBDII, EWSII, and silver labelled DME. These are software units and require flashing to remove EWSII or to align it with the chasiss' EWSII system and allow the engine to run. If youre running an S52B32 US engine, then you can convert to OBDI using the 95 M3 DME, OBDI intake manifold, proper hosing, and software to match it on a chip.

EWS can usually be aligned from chassis to chassis by the dealership. Last i checked, they offer it at one hour labor rate and say that it usually takes but there is a chance that it wont. Keep this in mind if staying OBDII with EWSII. Dont swap EWS rings, modules, key chips, etc; only swap the DME to be aligned with the OE EWS system on the chassis.

My Cars
    1 bicycle

hello

Just a heads up... My 1994 318is with m42 has same cooling fan as 6 cylinders (on opposite side of engine). I believe the m44 cars had the different cooling fan on engine side of radiator. So you can keep your cooling fan on an e36 318 with m42 if you go 6 cylinder

My Cars
    1997 BMW Compact
    i haven't got an X6031 adaptor on my M50B25 harness... it just isn't there - i bought another ecu thinking mine was at fault, but i'm at a loss because i'm confused with the wiring instructions you've given me... i haven't attempted your cutting at the X20 connector, because i don't have the other plug to connect to.

any help will be greatly appreciated! i need this bugger started.. i've got fuel (on a switch) and crank, just no spark

nicholaslawrence@hotmail.co.uk

My Cars
    335ti 360ti x5-6.0tt
    Not exactly sure where youre hung up and your complete setup. Sorry.

Diagnosis Update: Fuel but no spark nor starter.
    EWS2 Chassis
    EWS0 DME
    Chassis EWS wire cut at X20, same as on engine harness

[ame="http://s685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/Tnichols/DIY%20installs/?action=view&current=002.flv"][/ame]
    Last edited by Bluebimma; 05-26-2010 at 08:32 PM.

My Cars
    BMW E36 318iM50B25 Sedan
    Many Many Thanks to BlueBimma!

I've swapped my 318i's 1.8 8v M43b18 to a 525i M50B25 engine myself (i'm 19yo..)..
    PLUS i'v sticked with my Autogearbox..:

http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/d...010_222508.jpg

(now i better shape! lol):

Things that have to replaced or moved are simple:
    Fuel filter need to be replaced, need 30cm extra hose..
    The Battery needs to be placed in the back, or do what i did..
    The complete rear axle incl. diff and Cardan axle needs to be replaced..
    Wire everything up (soo plain simple)
    Steeringpump needs to be from a 6 cilinder incl. the 'cooler' and both hoses.. There are screw holes already in your steeringhouse so that is not a big problem, plug and play.
    The hose of the brakebooster needs to be longer (+/- 20/30cm).
    you can use your original 4 cilinder radiator, but what i dont understand is that some 4 cilinders have very small radiators, mine was big.

Hope i've helped too a lil bit, i'm sorry 'bout my bad English, i'm Dutch..

Greetings, And Succes to everybody!
    Last edited by Kaantjee; 06-29-2010 at 09:44 AM.
    BMW E36 318i Sedan swaped to M50B25, So a 318i 24v

Mods: Coilovers, 328i brakes, OEM French M3 Alpina Yellow lights, steelies for now 18"s are getting new paint, Freeflow exhaust with only a Rear silencer, Open Air filter, black roof, chip tuned..
    Up Comming: Stage 2 Turbokit, LED Rearlights (but oem look), custum leather dashboard with E46 centre console, etc.. etc.. etc..

My Cars
    1997 E36 318i
    i've an 318i 97, fresh swap to m50 comming from 525i. got nothing , starter dont want to turn ... ground prob ?

What i need exactly to do to make it run ? reflash ecu ? Cut those wire that you just explain on first page?

Master! Can you plz help me !

My Cars
    335ti 360ti x5-6.0tt

My Cars
    1997 E36 318i
    1997 318I
    swap m50b25 92 comming from 525i. Using all the wiring harnes and ecu from the 525i. I've follow your guided, Now strange thing.
    When I plug the big black connector to the b+ Starter is Turning but not Fowarding.
    When I'm only pluging Wire to fuse box. starter is fowarding but not turning...

the big wire is a b+ ... right ? the red one to. and the small black is a ground ?
    Notice that i dont have a wire going to fuse boxe directly in the wiring harness. Will need to do One custome

My Cars
    335ti 360ti x5-6.0tt
    If im not mistaken, the e34 engine harness is incapatible with the e36 chassis, as the pinouts on X20 are different. Have you looked at any of the schematics to make sure?

From other swaps, people remove the e34 engine harness for the e36 counterpart engine harness as it puts plugs exactly where they need to be, pinouts are all correct, and it leaves you knowing that its not the issue when things dont work. Also, with your car, cut the EWS wire and it should send the signal properly. I will assume you have a red label 402/3 dme for that non-vanos engine? Recheck your ground/positive wires with the diagram from above to make sure that youve made the correct connections.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast