Thread: BMW 645--Starting Issues

My Cars
    BMW 645

BMW 645--Starting Issues

In brief, sometimes my car has a hard time starting. Every now and again, (usually 2-4 times a month) when I try to start my car, it doesn't start at all. Initially you can hear a (singular) thud noise as you would hear when starting the car, however nothing cranks up or starts. The dashboard, navigation, radio, cd and even the Bluetooth are working just fine during that time, while car doesn't start. It can take anywhere from 30 seconds to 1 hr for it to start again. My car is with the dealership currently and they're not able to diagnose what the problem is. Have you come across situation as such? Please advise. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by bmw645; 01-20-2009 at 04:43 PM.

My Cars
    03 Jeep, 05 R6
    Any fault codes stored?

My Cars
    BMW 645
    The dealership's saying when they do the diagnostic test they don't see any faults light up. It's really weird and I really need to get it fixed. There’s gotta be something wrong or maybe loose wires or something. I just don't know when's the next time my car won't start. I tried starting the car with the duplicate key but it’s the same problem. It's very frustrating! Please advice.

Thanks

My Cars
    Alpine White 2008 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw645 View Post
    The dealership's saying when they do the diagnostic test they don't see any faults light up. It's really weird and I really need to get it fixed. There’s gotta be something wrong or maybe loose wires or something. I just don't know when's the next time my car won't start. I tried starting the car with the duplicate key but it’s the same problem. It's very frustrating! Please advice.

Thanks
    Are you push button or turn-key ignition?

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
    2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
    2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li

2010 Alpine White, GT550i

My Cars
    BMW 645
    I have the turn-key ignition. I've been pressing on the brakes and everything but its still the same problem.

My Cars
    Alpine White 2008 M5
    I think your issue is your keys. Asked the dealer to check/reset the keys to your cars computer; it seems they are out of sync. If your car truely has no mechanical issue: Faulty ignition coils, starter, battery or spark plugs, the key is a clear winner.

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
    2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
    2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li

2010 Alpine White, GT550i

My Cars
    BMW 645
    Thanks for all your input. I'll check with the dealership and see if they can work on the keys.

My Cars
    m3
    bring both keys. if you only have one, buy another to test the old one.
    This space for rent.

My Cars
    ''09 GT-R, '14 535d"
    I'm curious, were the keys the cause of the starting problem or was it something else?
    Owner:
    2008 Mazda CX-9
    2009 Nissan GT-R
    2014 Infiniti Q50S Hybrid AWD
    2014 BMW 535d AWD

RIP:
    2010 Jaguar XF Portfolio
    2004 BMW 645ci
    2003 Toyota Matrix Xrs
    2002 Subaru WRX

My Cars
    BMW 645Ci
    I am having the exact same problem!!! I thought I am the only one. It would happen to me about once a week. Did the OP ever get it fixed? Should I bring it to the dealer? My car is out of warranty, how much are they going to charge just for looking at it?

My Cars
    2006 BMW 650I
    I had these random problems with my 06' 650I. It would randomly not start. While it was running fine I took it in and had the battery tested...they said that the battery tested moderate but that it would be good for a while......I then tried to start my car to leave the service station and it wouldn't start.....they tested the battery again and it was low.

I bought a new battery and have not had any problems. The dealership said that if the battery is borderline or not at it propper level it will not make any attempt to start the car......which seemed very odd to me (good thing I don't drive it in our cold WI winters or it would never "attempt:" to start.)

Hope this helps....

My Cars
    2004 BMW 645i

BMW 645 starting issues

Quote Originally Posted by bmw645 View Post
    Thanks for all your input. I'll check with the dealership and see if they can work on the keys.

I have the same issue with my 2004 645i, could you tell me what steps eventually fixed your car?

My Cars
    645Ci Convertible

Same problem

Hi all,

Same problem. Can someone please say what fixed the problem? Was it the battery? My car is an 05 with original battery. Doesn't start but then after 5 mins or so will start.

Thanks.

My Cars
    m3
    ivm
    This space for rent.

My Cars
    04 BMW 645 conv
    Happy New Year Everyone and can someone please help me with some guidance with my bmw 645 the body shop got my ecu wet and i bought another one and the dealer programmed it but it isn't starting when i attempt to start the car.

Wassup do you know what's the problem with the issue i am having with my bmw 645
    Last edited by my645; 01-02-2012 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    BMW 645 Convertible

I'm Having The Same Problem....

Did anyone ever figure out what was going with the starting issues? My car has been doing this for over a year and no Autohaus can figure it out. I rarely drive it now because of this issue, you just never know if your car is not going start after you turn it off...

Help Please!!!!

My Cars
    m3
    Did you put an IVM in it?
    This space for rent.

My Cars
    Small
    My dream car !